Going to school and work and a mommy? Am I nuts?

Forum: The Venting Room

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Venting Room LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 13th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to heavenleighmommi
Right now I am a SAHM , but not for long. My bf and me can not afford child care and I am going to start working soon so we have decided to work opposite shifts. I will be having to be at work around 5;45 in the morning and work until 12, and then he will work until 10 and come home. Other than that I have school on Monday and Wednesday. I just feel like I am going to be so exhausted .. I mean I will work from 545 until noon, then take care of my daughter and then on monday and wednesday work from 545 until 230 and then go to school from 630 until 9.. does this sound unreasonable? I mean I have been a SAHM for the last 8 months and all the sudden I have to add work and school into my schedule and it seems like it will be so over whelming. Am I exaggerating? maybe I am just because my schedule has been so open before this. Also I worry I will not see my bf. He will be asleep when I go to work and be going to work when I get home and I will be in bed before he gets home. Then, on his days off are the days I have school. Does anyone else have a conflicting schedule like this? Any words of wisdom or encouragement? Thanks for listening ladies!

April 13th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Justmeandmyguys's Avatar Veteran
Can u get child care subsidy from the state?
April 20th, 2006, 12:38 AM
Dawminatrix's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Dawminatrix Send a message via MSN to Dawminatrix Send a message via Yahoo to Dawminatrix
personally, i think school is VERY important!!!! i was a single mom for a while, working a full time job, taking care of a 5 year old, and taking 2 classes a semester. It was a lot of hard work, and juggling of life and my time. After many exhaustive years, i'm graduating in 12 days.

I'm 34 now, with an 11 year old, and a baby due in 13 days.....and lucky to have found a new wonderful husband. Anything is possible if you put your mind to it, and keep organized!!!

April 23rd, 2006, 11:07 PM
Wendie
I'm doing the whole work and school thing too. Of course, my husband and I work at the same time. We both work during the day. And, then I am going back in June to take classes two or three nights a week. Its hard. I have done it before. And, its exhausting but I know it will be worth it when I graduate. Right now is extremely stressful because I am prepping for grad school. I agree with the person who said not to overdo it. My husband is there when I pass out on the couch without enough energy to get back up. However, you will be on your own. If you put your mind to it and rest when you can, you can handle it.
April 28th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
First off I applaud you for going to school.. I'm doing it too and at first YES, you will be exhausted..but you will manage, your body will get used to the new schedule and things will run smoothly for the most part..Don't get discouraged and stay focused and you will be so happy that you did. I have a 7, 6, and 5 month old and I work 8 hours a day and school on my lunch break and after work..so it can be done...good day to you...

April 30th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to heavenleighmommi
Quote:
I think the best advice I can give you is try to get state help with daycare so you guys can work the same shift. All of that is straining but I would say the most straining is being away from your significant other all of the time. You won't get any time together and that is a big strain on a relationship. I would definitely try to work that out. Would you say it's harder being a SAHM or a working/schooling mom?[/b]

honestly... both have their advantages and disadvantages. When I was only a SAHM it was just as exhausting b/c you are on call 24/7. instead of just going to work and working 8 hours and getting some what of a grown up break you are with a baby constantly and you never get any adult conversation or anything. And usually SAHM's are expected to do alot more house work b/c they are home all day. So you are chasing after a child and trying to get stuff done as well. Its not just you who your responsible for. But now that I am going to school and stuff, it is exhausting never getting a break. I mean when I was SAHM I slept when she slept, so I got to look forward to those naps, but I dont get those now. And I worry that I am going to miss something wonderful my child will do when I am away (and worrying about that is sometimes exhausting in itself) And its like everything is none stop and very repetious. so one is just as hard as another, just in different ways.

May 5th, 2006, 03:52 PM
lapoema's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just have to say that I totally respect you mothers who work, have children and/or go to school. I don't see how you do it. I doubt I could, but kudos to you for bettering yourself for the sake of your family!
May 5th, 2006, 05:28 PM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
I don't usually post here but I was lurking and thought I would post....

I was going to school along with having my 4 year old daughter. My husband was working one shift and i was working another. We basically didn't see each other from Mon-Thurs between both of our work schedules and my school. It was difficult but we made sure that we made time for each other on the weekends. He also worked Saturdays. We both decided that no matter what came up Sunday was our "family day" and we would spend the day together. I was also pregnant when I was doing this. So it is possible...it is not easy but it is possible. I worked until I hit 25 weeks preg and went into PTL. I no longer am working outside of the house. I have done some freelance work from home...I'm a website designer. I am still going to school.

Good luck to you and when it gets difficult just remember the reasons you are doing it and that in the end it will all be worth it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search