Roomate..

Forum: The Venting Room

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Venting Room LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 16th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Super Mommy
Hi there,
I don't usually post here but I am fairly new to this board too.. so here it goes..
We had a roomate she just moved out tonight. Excellent roomate just worked things out with her hubby and no longer needed a place to stay. I got a call on friday so I called the prospective tennet back and with getting more information about them I was able to piece together the fact that this was my Half Uncle.. He's 20.. well he doesn't have the money to move in but would be willing to pay 80.00 for the first two weeks and then pay the rest when he got paid.. (He' doesn't know who i am yet.. as we don't really keep in contact and wouldn't know my married name..) well i said normally no but as long as he payd the money when moved in it would be ok.. as long as he signed a lease (while i was still putting the pieces together) Well I don't really want to do bussiness with family but i said it would be ok while i was putting the pieces together... and the fact that he woudln't beable to pay for a couple weeks kind of makes me leary.. he has had issues in the past with smoking "pot" but got busted for it and ever since he was in jail for it has been doing alot better.. but a part of me wonders if he would pay the rent or what...
I know this is quite confusing but if i could get any insite it would be much appricated
thanks..
April 17th, 2006, 07:49 AM
carolinagirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
YIKES! You're in quite a pickle. I can certainly relate to being leary over roommates - been there, done that myself. You say this is your "half uncle"?!?! IMHO if I were you I wouldn't open my home up to that kind of chaos, especially for someone whom is not a close relative. You already know he's had trouble with money and drugs in the past and has gone to jail for it. I mean sure people can change but it's very rare that someone who dabbles in drugs goes to jail once and "learns their lesson". Usually they have to hit rock bottom in order to figure out they need a lifestyle change and even then it may take an act of GOD to get them to clean their act up.
Quote:
Well I don't really want to do business with family[/b]
I think this quote pretty much sums it up... Good Luck with whatever you decide to do hon!

GOD, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference ~ Amen.

My Myspace & Yahoo 360*
April 18th, 2006, 12:19 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
I agree with Tracey on this. If it were me personally, I think I would just avoid the whole mess of worrying whether or not he is going to pay and worrying about whether or not this person is still doing drugs, might start back on drugs, bring drugs into your home, steal from you to get drugs, etc.

By the way, to the venting board and JM!!! Let us know what you decide.
April 18th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Stacia
This is coming from experience....DON'T LET FAMILY MOVE IN WITH YOU!! I made a HUGE mistake letting my cousin move in with me. That was over ten years ago and I still don't talk to her. She stiffed me on the rent, never paid for anything and it was a complete disaster. Not only did it ruin my relationship with her it runied my relationship with my mother because she took her side. I should have been "more understanding", should have "helped her out more because she is family". I was working full time and going to Uni, she was working as a waitress and got fired because she kept calling in sick. All she did was sit around the apartment and watch TV. I let her move in because I could use the help with the rent, in the end because of her I had to move out of my apartment and back home for a few months to get back on my feet.

Sorry, that was meant to be advice but I think it came out as more of a vent of my own.
April 19th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Super Mommy
Sorry that I didn't get back to this post sooner.. I am just now replying. My hubby called and just said if you don't have the money for the first months rent and the 50 dollar deposit then you can't move in. My mom said give him a chance (its her half brother) but she is ok with my decision like someone said handling it this way is a better then trying to evivct them later. We re-posted our ad in the newspaper and I'm sure someone will call soon that will work out for us better.
Thankx.
April 20th, 2006, 01:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Abbie I think that was the best choice you could have made! I am another to agree with tha statement Don't do business wth family it more than likely always turns into a BAD BAD BAD situation!!! Goodluck in finding a good room mate!!

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search