Am I right or wrong?

Forum: The Venting Room

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Venting Room LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 15th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Beneath_The_Rose's Avatar WTTC #1
errgh alight here it is. I don't currently have any children of my own. I love children though and have been around them enough but lately there is one that has been bugging me or really His mother to be more precise. I know that children can be a handful and you can't ALWAYS control them but I think this kind of draws a line. I live in an apartment building and the woman straight across from us has a son who just can't seem to stay still. Whenever we come home and start unlocking our door the one across from us will make a "click" sound as we hear the chain unlatching and this kid (who seems to be around 8 or 9 years old and most likely should know better) opens the door wide open and starts just staring at us. The mother just sits there and says "alex close the door" and of course he doesn't listen until me and DF are inside our apartment. Another time we had friends staying the night and our door was unlocked. They told us that they saw the door knob move and then it opened a little and the kid peeked his head inside our house! Then he looked at them and closed the door. Another time when DF was moving things in and out of the apartment we kept the door open just slightly so it would be easier to carry things in. I was in the kitchen doing dishes and I walked out into the living room to get something and there is this kid standing about 2 steps in my apartment!!! I can't yell at him because he isn't my child and it would be wrong but his mother doesn't do anything! As i said she just sits on the couch and quietly asks him to come inside which of course never works. Also he screams and yells everyday and we can hear it from our apartment because the apartments are so close together. He will scream bloody murder and just yell and yell about wanting things. His mom will be saying something like "alex no you can't have this" and it leads to about an hour screaming and crying fit that we are forced to listen to due to proximity. Am i being to uptight about it or are these a legitimate reasons to be upset.
April 15th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It is your right to be annoyed. It is also perfectly understandable and irksome even to have someone else's child coming into your home. That should be stopped and if the mom isn't doing anything to remedy it you can take it to the police. I live in an apt. and my son is loud all of the time and there isn't anything that can really be done about it however if your neighbor is in violation of either apartment rules or noise ordinances there might be something you can do, again take it up with the manager/police.

April 15th, 2010, 06:20 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsrrjgandmx View Post
It is your right to be annoyed. It is also perfectly understandable and irksome even to have someone else's child coming into your home. That should be stopped and if the mom isn't doing anything to remedy it you can take it to the police. I live in an apt. and my son is loud all of the time and there isn't anything that can really be done about it however if your neighbor is in violation of either apartment rules or noise ordinances there might be something you can do, again take it up with the manager/police.
That is exactly what I was going to say. Its impossible to keep them quiet, but there is no reason the mom is not doing a better job at keeping him where he belongs.
April 15th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Beneath_The_Rose's Avatar WTTC #1
I have thought of turning them in before more so because of the peeking at us and stepping into my apartment issue but i've been told by DF's brother who lives next door to us that usually complaining about children does nothing and they assume you are just a "child hater" and will take the parents side. They were in a situation where the kids upstairs from them were very loud and banged on the walls and such well past curfew and when they tried to talk to the parents about it all they giot was a "kids will be kids" response and the office took the same approach. Mind you DF's brother has a now 8 month old and an almost 2 year old and the disruption from banging upstairs was waking up their kids to so it wasn't as if it was just a couple that didn't want to deal with screaming kids or anything. Yet no one took their side. I just don't want to have to be "that guy" and turn this woman in and possibly get them kicked out when the woman herself is nice enough but she needs to keep her kid in a line a little more when it comes to peoples privacy. *sigh* I just had to vent about it because i've been bottling it up for months.

still waters run deep

How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response.
Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us
-Thrall

*FaceBook*
*Myspace*

Last edited by Beneath_The_Rose; April 15th, 2010 at 07:49 PM.
April 15th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I understand, because I was trying to take care of a newborn in a rather noisy apartment, although I never had anyone come in because I kept the doors locked all the time.

April 24th, 2010, 04:36 PM
*Dayna*'s Avatar Aussie Mama
Him being in your apartment is abit strange...you should talk to the mother about that.
April 29th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
[quote=Beneath_The_Rose;19827502]errgh alight here it is. I don't currently have any children of my own. I love children though and have been around them enough but lately there is one that has been bugging me or really His mother to be more precise. I know that children can be a handful and you can't ALWAYS control them but I think this kind of draws a line. I live in an apartment building and the woman straight across from us has a son who just can't seem to stay still. Whenever we come home and start unlocking our door the one across from us will make a "click" sound as we hear the chain unlatching and this kid (who seems to be around 8 or 9 years old and most likely should know better) opens the door wide open and starts just staring at us. The mother just sits there and says "alex close the door" and of course he doesn't listen until me and DF are inside our apartment. Another time we had friends staying the night and our door was unlocked. They told us that they saw the door knob move and then it opened a little and the kid peeked his head inside our house! Then he looked at them and closed the door. Another time when DF was moving things in and out of the apartment we kept the door open just slightly so it would be easier to carry things in. I was in the kitchen doing dishes and I walked out into the living room to get something and there is this kid standing about 2 steps in my apartment!!! I can't yell at him because he isn't my child and it would be wrong but his mother doesn't do anything! As i said she just sits on the couch and quietly asks him to come inside which of course never works. Also he screams and yells everyday and we can hear it from our apartment because the apartments are so close together. He will scream bloody murder and just yell and yell about wanting things. His mom will be saying something like "alex no you can't have this" and it leads to about an hour screaming and crying fit that we are forced to listen to due to proximity. Am i being to uptight about it or are these a legitimate reasons to be upset.[/quo

I honestly wouldn't give a 2nd thought to the kid opening THEIR door and peeking at you. That just seems like a curious kid; albeit a little annoying and borderline rude at their age. However, opening YOUR door and OMG going into your apartment is completely different! Not only is it completely rude and unacceptable, the mom should be very concerned about her childs safety! Did you go talk to the mom when you found him in your apartment? If it happes again, I would not be mean, but very firmly tell the mother that this cannot happen again and that you will have to talk to the apartment management if it does.

Do you think there is any chance that this kid has some sort of special needs (autism sprecturm or something)? The fact that you said he has screaming tantrums regularly makes me wonder... that's not normal for a kid his age. Something just seems off.

Good luck!

May 1st, 2010, 03:39 AM
ashleighgurl's Avatar Loving Wife and Mommy
That is just wrong that he is going into your apartment. I don't know how much can really be done about how loud he is, but he should not be coming into your apartment!
Our beautiful miracle baby..

Do you want to learn how to stretch your dollars further?
Come join us on the Frugal Mommies Board!
Latest Trip: Spent $90, Saved $400!
Latest donation trip: Spent $0, Saved $675!!!
Check out what I'm selling! Lots of baby/toddler things!

May 3rd, 2010, 11:23 AM
A.June
If it were me... If the child got loud I would just turn my music or tv up, just enough to drown it out a bit. Living in an apartment it is hard not to have noise from your neighbors. Him peeking out the door, I would be annoyed but what ever. Him coming into my apartment TWICE, I would have said something to him the day you found him standing there. You have the right if he is in your apartment, and I would also bring it to the mothers attention he'd been popping into your apartment. She needs to know I would want to know if mine was doing it.
May 29th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
[/quo

Do you think there is any chance that this kid has some sort of special needs (autism sprecturm or something)? The fact that you said he has screaming tantrums regularly makes me wonder... that's not normal for a kid his age. Something just seems off.

Good luck![/quote]

I was thinking the same thing.

Try and talk with the mother first.....if he does have issues then you`ll still be annoyed but it helps put it in perspective. If it`s an issue of the parents being too permissive...hopefully a chat will help.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search