$700 to fix our car!!

Forum: The Venting Room

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Venting Room LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 28th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Our anti-lock break system short-circuited. I can't believe it's going to be that much!!!

We also recently found out that we have carpenter ants in our kitchen and our kitchen counter-tops will probably have to be replaced!

It seems like we're never able to get ahead. I try not to let it get me down too much – I tell myself “it's only money” and everything will work out. But, sometimes it's hard not to feel like :bricks:
Proud mom to my little kookaburra, Alden (03/02). #2 due 06/16/05

August 28th, 2004, 09:51 AM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
that stinks!!

(((HUGS))) to you

August 28th, 2004, 10:19 AM
ranidae
I can totally relate, our car is down right now because of the brakes, so we are down to just the van which is soooooo expensive to run everywhere. I cant wait till I get some of our bills caught up so that we can get the stupid thing fixed.
Hope things look up for you soon, oh and check out your local thrift stores, I know several of ours has a home improvment section where you can get discounted lumber and other materials.
August 28th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Ma2RayPooh
well if any of you girls lived closer my husband could help you out with your cars. he actually has been in the garage ALL DAY helping his friend with his car. they are ripping out the engine and rebuilding it. but i know what you mean, we can never get ahead either! sucks! when it rains it pours!
August 28th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to pinkpercolator
When it rains it pours. That's how it always seems to me. One thing goes wrong. Then a half a dozen things or so go along with it. Sorry about your car.
August 28th, 2004, 06:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
When it rains it pours.[/b]
That's so true!

Quote:
check out your local thrift stores, I know several of ours has a home improvment section where you can get discounted lumber and other materials.[/b]
Thanks for the tip ranidae. I don't know if our thrift stores have a lumber section, but I'll check that out.

Quote:
well if any of you girls lived closer my husband could help you out with your cars. he actually has been in the garage ALL DAY helping his friend with his car. they are ripping out the engine and rebuilding it.[/b]
I wish I did live close to you. I've always joked that I wanted to go to school to learn to be a mechanic because I hate feeling like I'm getting ripped off every time I take my car to the garage!

August 29th, 2004, 05:56 AM
Goodnu2003's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally posted by kookaburra@Aug 28 2004, 08:37 PM
I've always joked that I wanted to go to school to learn to be a mechanic because I hate feeling like I'm getting ripped off every time I take my car to the garage!
I did tooo!!! Thats why I learned as much as I could from my dad and his best friend....They are good!!! I remember my dad would not let me buy my first car till I changed ALL 4 tires and did an oil change myself....I did it!!!!

August 29th, 2004, 09:10 AM
I Heart 4x4
When it rains it definitly pours. I'm sorry, that situation totally sucks.
August 30th, 2004, 07:48 PM
twinsmom26
I wish you did know somebody who could work on your car. Did you know that it actually only cost about 30 to 40.00 dollars for a set of breaks on a car, but they charge around 200.00 around here and near 300.00 where my sister lives. I understand labor, but my God that's really expensive!! My DH is a mechanic and I cant believe the "true" cost of things myself. His shop charges $60.00 an hour for labor. Thats a whole lot of money an hour!! Oh and just so you know (not to make you feel any worse) they usually charge by a book rate. So if the book calls for 3 hours of work and it only takes them 30 minutes they will charge the 3 hour rate. I feel so bad for people who actually have to pay this.

Anyways I'm sorry your going through such a rough time right now. I totally understand! When it rains it really does pour. First comes the good luck for a couple of years and then BAM nothing but bad luck. I know it's coming my way soon, lol. I just know it!!
August 31st, 2004, 06:55 AM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
When it rains it pours, well, I think I must been in a constant hurricane!!!
August 31st, 2004, 12:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks guys!

Goodnu2003 -- I wish I had someone to teach me! That's great that your dad made sure you learned that stuff. I'm totally clueless! My dh knows some stuff, but he doesn't really have the tools anymore to do much.

twinsmom26 -- I know I'm getting ripped off (although I didn't realize quite how much! LOL) and that's one of the things that makes me so mad.

Speaking of being ripped off, I got a quote yesterday for replacing our kitchen countertops -- between $910 and $1110!!! I think we'll be doing that one ourselves! My dad and brother said they would help us and my brother is pretty good with home-improvement stuff, so hopefully it will come out ok!

September 1st, 2004, 06:40 AM
Texas Mom
Feast or famine sista! Always!!! I too can relate!

Try to see if you have a Habitat ReStore. We have on here and they recycle stuff and it all benefits habitat for humanity. They have some really nice stuff at ours!

:hug2:
September 1st, 2004, 09:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally posted by Texas Mom@Sep 1 2004, 08:40 AM
Feast or famine sista! Always!!! I too can relate!*

Try to see if you have a Habitat ReStore.* We have on here and they recycle stuff and it all benefits habitat for humanity.* They have some really nice stuff at ours!*

:hug2:
I did a search online, and it looks like the closest one is in Ft. Worth, which is pretty far for us. Bummer!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search