i need some advice, going crazy here!!

Forum: The Venting Room

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Venting Room LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 31st, 2004, 03:52 PM
Ma2RayPooh
i wanted to post it in here to b/c i figured more people come in here then in the gradeschoolers. so i want all the advice i can get!!!

OK-This may get long but I am not sure yet! LOL I need some bad! My dd has been driving me bonkers. She doesnt understand what no means at ALL. I mean she does but she doesnt listen to it. As soon as she got off the bus today it was "can myles come over" I said no...two seconds later "can i go over to myles" Me-NO myles isnt feeling good. again "but i want to go over to myles" me-NO not today. "why cant i go over to myles" RAYANNE NO NO NO!!! We get into the house. "can i go over to john and shellys to see the puppy" Me-no we are not going over there today "but the puppy is so cute I want to go play with it" Me-NO! "i never get to see and play with the puppy" OMG RAYANNE NO!!!!!! Then it is "can i have some soda" Me-NO! LOL "but i am thirsty i want some soda" Me-Your not getting soda you can have some milk, water or juice. "but i want some soda momma" AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHH

I give her opitions at times that doesnt work. I tried time outs-that doesnt work. I have tried smacking her butt-that doesnt work. I have tried taking things away from her-again doesnt work. I am at my breaking point now. A hour after she got off of the bus I had a headache from H&LL b/c she kept asking me the same questions over and over again. I dont know what else to do to get the point across. I have even tried explaining, when mommy says no that means no-just drop it and dont ask again. WELL she DOES! Its like she does it to make me angry. i know she isnt doing it for attention b/c we play games, go swimming, play with the dogs, eat together...she is with me all the time. lol besides when it is quite time during the night and of course to sleep. I dont know if any of you mommies have something i can try. please me out b/c i dont know what else to do.

ps-i know this sounds like i say NO to everything but I dont. she gets to do a lot that she asks for. she just gets mad when i say no and asks again and again. UGH
August 31st, 2004, 04:09 PM
zonapellucida
THANK GOD!!!!!!!!! I was having a "why did I have children?????!!!!?????" moment today! So from what I am reading it is normal behavior for a child this age to simply not hear me? And NO is unacceptable. (*****************This is Heidi taking a sigh of relief as I decide that I deserve a tub***************) NO ANSWER for ya!
August 31st, 2004, 04:11 PM
ranidae
We attend classes with our marriage counselor for parenting too (gives us a night out and we have learned alot.) Dave uses the Love and Logic method for his parenting classes. We have started trying it with Krystle and have found it actually working. http://www.loveandlogic.com/index.html
It has stoped alot of talk back and but whys because we dont feed into it anymore. We answer the question once and that is it. I just thought I would mention it, I am really liking it.
August 31st, 2004, 04:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hmmm. Maybe try telling her that when you say no, you mean no and that you're only going to answer her once. Then, when she asks again, just ignore the question and remind her that you'll talk to her about something else, but that topic is closed.

Hopefully, when she realizes you're just going to ignore her repeated requests and she isn't going to get a rise out of you she'll give up!?
Proud mom to my little kookaburra, Alden (03/02). #2 due 06/16/05

August 31st, 2004, 04:31 PM
twinsmom26
LOL, I was reading the post without reading who wrote it and I was like Wow, this sounds just like a little girl I know named RaYanne. I was thinking of telling the poster she should talk to jessicac1979 until I read that it was you. I figured it out at the Myles part, lol. You had me at Myles, lol!! Anyways I have no more advice to give. Sorry!!
August 31st, 2004, 04:46 PM
oreokitten
Quote:
Hmmm. Maybe try telling her that when you say no, you mean no and that you're only going to answer her once. Then, when she asks again, just ignore the question and remind her that you'll talk to her about something else, but that topic is closed.[/b]
I was going to post this SAME thing! I am doing this with my 4 year old right now. My 6 year old knows I will do this so he stopped, but the 4 year old still needs to catch on, lol.
August 31st, 2004, 07:54 PM
I Heart 4x4
Quote:
Originally posted by kookaburra@Aug 31 2004, 05:15 PM
Hmmm. Maybe try telling her that when you say no, you mean no and that you're only going to answer her once. Then, when she asks again, just ignore the question and remind her that you'll talk to her about something else, but that topic is closed.

Hopefully, when she realizes you're just going to ignore her repeated requests and she isn't going to get a rise out of you she'll give up!?
That's a good idea. Another good idea would be to say "ask me one more time and ___(insert punishment here)__" and then follow through with it. For example ... tell her she won't be able to watch TV for 2 days. Or, she can't go swimming. Or she can't do something else she really likes doing.

I am not looking forward to the 5 year old I want everything stage! LOL

Good luck!!!
September 1st, 2004, 05:30 AM
zonapellucida
Quote:
Originally posted by lillysue@Aug 31 2004, 11:04 PM
Arielle does the same thing drives me batty. I either ignore her when she repeats the samething 10 times or i start repeating something over and over again(I know it seems childish but it works for us)and she will stop and ask me to stop doing it. Then i point out how she was just doing the same thing.
LOL This is what I do!!!! I get "MMMMOOOOOOOMMMMM!!!!! STOP!!!" and they have forgotten what they were bugging me aboout--sometimes
September 1st, 2004, 06:38 AM
Texas Mom
I don't have a preschooler....yet! But just watching my 2 1/2 yr old test me daily is nerve wracking...I can only imagine when his language is as good as your daughters!!!! Stand firm girlie....I know that is easier said than done....especially when you feel like a gerbil on a wheel!!!! Hang in there! These kiddos are relentless and are just waiting for us to crack! LOL!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search