Vent reguarding food stamps. I am sure this will anger someone.

Forum: The Venting Room

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Venting Room LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 6th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Mom to minions's Avatar Super Mommy
Before I go further, Yes, I know what it is like to barely make it. I have been on food stamps twice (and gotten off them), I have lost my home and been homeless with 3 young children in tow (their father "had no room" for them), I have had family turn their backs on me, and been without a job while trying to care for my minions. Their father was a dead beat and as sad as it is, I am glad he does not ever wish to see them. Not that I would ever deny him seeing them and when he does, I bend over backwards so he can. *sighs* Sorry for that little rant....

Anyway, I have several friends on food stamps. Ok... There is nothing wrong with that. Sometimes you need help to make by and feed your kids! I have been there! My first "friend" (I think she stole some things form me so I do not see her much anymore) gets 900 a month in food stamps for the family of 6. By week 3 she is out and asking me to take her to pantries and what not. Her kids use to randomly show up at dinner time from time to time before I moved. Which I always fed them, no questions asked. Yet she can support their pack a day smoking habit... and umm, 900 A MONTH! Seriously??? My mother fed a family of 5 (2 brothers in sports) for 100 a week or less! You buy meats in bulk and you don't live off junk. My SO and I spend $150 bi weekly for our shopping. True, I have 3 little ones so it is more like feeding 3 people instead of 5. but this includes our TP and other non food stuff, his $2 microwave meals for lunch, his work soda, and milk (I qualify for WIC but we do not need it, so I am not on it). We go through a lot of milk. We eat well. He even has his $5 steak (that is for one) every other week. Sometimes we do spend more... If I see a great sale on staples like pasta, canned tomatoes, frozen veggies, potatoes, meat and so on, we stock up. He could lose his job and we would be ok food wise for maybe a month. Yes, I do rotate out food so I do not have old frozen meat.

When I was on them, I got 500 a month and had issues going through it all. I was essentially feeding 2 people (all 3 minions = 1 adult). I had a well stocked freezer and mini chest freezer and pantry. I bought smart, ate mostly healthy, but also had some quick easy stuff for the kids like Mac and cheese.

My other friend also has food stamps. She and her DH have a weekly date night. Last night she made a comment about it being at the "end of the month" and they were out of food stamps and skimping it. Umm, why did they go on their date then? Why not use some of that money for food? Ok, you need a break from the kids (something I need more of) but Olive Garden, Movie with treats, and then they did something else. That is not cheap.

They were fed, but it was this child eating this and another child eating that. In her case, she too has 3 kids almost in their teens. So they do eat more than my minions... but really? She said they get about 800 a month. How can you run out? I know others who aren't on food stamps and have families of larger size (SO's cousin) and they don't spend that much in food.

So why? Why can my food stamp friends not make it? Sometimes it is like they believe that they cannot buy food with anything other than food stamps. I KNOW both can cook. Ones husband runs a catering business part time. So it is not like they "need" to buy all the stuff that makes dinner easier but costs a lot... Like the $15 microwave lasagna that they need 3 of to feed their family... plus chips and what not (really, I went shopping with them several times). It has gotten to the point where I don't even want to talk with them because I am disgusted. They bring it up every time we talk.

What really floored me was when the first one made a comment about how does the state expect her to be able to feed 2 adults, 2 teens, and her grade schooler and toddler off of 900 a month! I wanted to slap her.

I seriously think you should be required to go to shopping smart classes and cooking classes if you are on food stamps and they should not allow soda (I know people get pissed over that), and candy to be bought with food stamps. I am sorry, but those are not needed for you to live and are more of a splurge.

Then again, I also managed to get off food stamps and support 3 small kids and myself off of 1300 a month and no state aid other than insurance (which at 1300 I still qualified for food stamps). I know there are people who I have just pissed off. I just believe that while it is a great system, it helps so many elderly and those with disabilities. Not to mention people who just need some help in getting by till they can find a job and what not. But there are a lot of people out there abusing the system. And then complaining that they do not receive enough help.
Pork (Laurence) 9/09 ~ 8lbs 3oz @ 36 1/2 weeks
2 angels in heaven 10/06 and 01/11
April 7th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Super Mommy
I couldn't have worded that any better.

April 7th, 2011, 09:30 PM
jessicab25's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via ICQ to jessicab25
My ex friend gets 600 for her and her two boys. Her and her SO eat out nightly! While her kids eat hotdogs and chips. she'll go to Mc D's, taco bell, and kfc buy her self 3 meals and hand her kids two chicken nuggets and a few frys. She also sales her food stamps to family and friends to get more money. I very much dislike her and people who abuse the system. Also her and SO don't work and they get housing money from the state so she doesn't even pay her own rent. Her water bill was over 300 a few months ago and got shut off so she would walk down to her MIL's to shower and bring wanter back to the house. we report her and nothing happens.
April 7th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
You are so right. It is very difficult to see this resource squandered and wasted.

We get food stamps right now. When my DH got out of the army he needed to be retrained and while he is doing this training we qualify for food stamps and WIC. We qualify for $600 for five, two adults a teen boy and two small kids. What kills me is that with food stamps you automatically qualify for free lunches at school so i feed my teen 11 meals a week. Before food stamps I fed my family nicely on $300.

Having twice the money I need for food is hard, the treats creep up the guard creeps down.

I agree completely about shopping and cooking and even though we get "classes" through WIC they are complete waste and could be so valuible. I live pretty rural so I don't have a lot of shopping options but over all the food is much cheaper than other parts of the country. Since it is a federal program i wonder if a family living some place with more expensive food gets the same or if they adjust it for cost of living? That would explain a lot!

Any way I am worried about being able to have food if the food prives increase like some are predicting they will so we are very carefully stocking up. I am hoping to have a year supply of food (some of which is also bought cash) Every months I buy a lot of what is on sale. I get all our milk from WIC in canned form so we are never out of milk. (I'd get the powder but canned milk can be gotten in whole and all powder milk is nonfat and my little ones need the whole milk)

Something that a lot of people do not realize is that Food Stamps can be used to purchase plants and seeds. So in the summer we do grow some of our own produce and what we don't grow we can now buy at the local farmers market.

If you ask your worker to change your amount after about 30 minutes and two managers their heads begin to spin and they determine that as a fail safe for fraud the amount cannot be manually adjusted.

April 8th, 2011, 12:53 PM
MzzMommaD's Avatar Sleepy Rat Rattery
My family of three has been on food stamps for about a year. We live in phoenix and it took both of us, my husband who also just graduated from college last summer, over a YEAR to find work. We literally survived off our food stamps of 520 a month and cash of 220 on top of the odd jobs here or there we could get. Not one place would ever call us back for a follow up interview. Finally, after a year I got a job making 7.25 an hour, but only got 12 hours a week. My paychecks were about 82 bucks paid weekly. They took away our cash and cut our food in half assuming we were able to survive on our own now. Well, we couldnt, we ended up moving into a one bedroom apartment with another adult male and his daughter. It was miserable. We had to live like this for 6 months and the state kept denying us more benefits so we could actually be a little more independent from other people. March was the last month we got benefits. But thankfully we both have been able to get better jobs now. We have to still reapply for medical but in a few weeks we can get that through our works. But its not easy. I see people who abuse the system so much. We literally would go hungry for about two weeks so our son could have a full meal while we waited for our food stamps to come back in. Thankfully there was a food bank that gave us a grocery bag of free food once a month as bad as the food was it got us by for the most part. I believe to receive assistance, you MUST meet more qualifications than they have already. If you abuse drugs or alcohol you need counseling and need to pass your tests free and clear because too many people i have met here in phoenix sell their stamps for cash so they can feed habits.

April 8th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Mom to minions's Avatar Super Mommy
Yeah, They take away cash pretty fast. But food? wow. That sucks they did that. I was getting paid 7.80 an hour, 30 hours a week and they still wanted to give me the full amount. They thought I was nuts when I was asking to be taken off.

See, If your family is fed through the month, I can see little splurges on things. It's when you buy those and then can't make it! I use to be harder on it until I learned if you don't use it or close to all of it every month, they will not only cut your food stamps (which was fine with me) but also aid in other areas. I use to get state aid for child care. They cut it because they thought because I did not use all my food stamps, I must be making some money under the table... Sucked. But that is ok. I worked out a deal with another mom where she watched mine, and I watched hers. I know I was lucky to get a deal like that, it is hard when you work full time. Although it might have helped since I was working 3rd shift and only worked 3 days a week (10-12 hour shifts).
Pork (Laurence) 9/09 ~ 8lbs 3oz @ 36 1/2 weeks
2 angels in heaven 10/06 and 01/11
April 8th, 2011, 07:54 PM
*~Amanda~*'s Avatar Hostest with the mostest
Send a message via Skype™ to *~Amanda~*
They can't survive on $800-$900 a month in food stamps?!?! That is absolutely asenine. I used to survive on $100 a month. Granted we ate alot of the canned food my grandparents did out of their garden, and pastas since they are pretty cheap. When I didn't have the money, I was fortunate to have family that fed me and the kids. When I got food stamps, it was ab out $350 a month, and we were eating pretty high up on the hog. Believe you me, I was not above eating tuna and hamburger. I even managed to have money left over each month on my food stamps with that amount.

Even with my family now, we don't spend $800 or more a month on food. We will go and spend about $300 at the first part of the month and then another $200 the second part of the month. Mind you, we do have to buy milk and bread in between the pay checks, but that's it. With the amount that we spend, we get tons of canned foods, meats, fruits/veggies. My cabinets are always overflowing after our trips, and the food lasts.

My guess is that these "friends" are out buying the most expensive stuff, and hoovering it as soon as it gets into the house. There is absolutely no reason that kind of food money should be gone that fast.

I also wanted to give you props for being able to take care of your minions on your own. That just shows the kind of woman that you are.

April 12th, 2011, 07:56 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Quote:
Originally Posted by *~Amanda~* View Post
They can't survive on $800-$900 a month in food stamps?!?! That is absolutely asenine.
Ditto!!! What the heck were they buying lobsters??? There are too many people out there abusing the system!
April 13th, 2011, 11:00 AM
MzzMommaD's Avatar Sleepy Rat Rattery
I agree that too many people abuse it. We stocked up on bulk foods like pastas, peanut butter, bread etc. then supplemented with other things, ingredients for home made pasta sauce since it makes more and is reusable. Bulk meats, mainly chicken because there are so many dishes with chicken. Maybe once a month we would get a cake? or a mix variety pack of chips for DH to take to work? We are almost out of our frozen juice but we had a several months worth of supply, we have 6 left but those are all under two dollars at walmart. We were able to almost make it on about 320 a month. We bought a clearance iced tea maker recently and no longer drink soda or as much juice, just for the kiddo. We make iced tea and stocked up on all kinds of yummy tea flavors. Plus its very hydrating for us who live in phoenix.

April 23rd, 2011, 01:55 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The thing that I thought was kinda assbackwards was seeing someone complain that they saw someone with foodstamps using coupons... GOOD FOR THEM!! If you WERE only getting 100 a month and could stretch it to be like 200 worth of food by using coupons wisely then you're not cheating anybody out of anything.

I have seen ads on craigslist where people offer to take other people shopping with their foodstams in exchange for cash. That's illegal. I report those ads. The people are stupid enough to put up their phone numbers and stuff!

May 3rd, 2011, 08:30 PM
MsSilverSpec's Avatar Mama of 2 <3
Lurking over here.

I can agree that, that is pretty ridiculous. I mean I cant understand what they do for $800-900 month be too little!

We are also on food stamps, receiving $600 a month. That is more then enough for just the 3 of us! We always have a good amount of money leftover by the end of the month. I still use coupons as well and try to shop smart. Just cause we are receiving money for food doesn't mean I am going to be buying lobsters and filet mignon!

I've heard of people abusing the system and I think it's horrible. Food stamps are a great thing for people who really do need them. But to sell them? and even to freely advertise that? is shameful.
May 14th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
i do not suport what these people are doing at all, not one bit & i'm sorry you have had to personally deal with this

May 30th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think that the only ones who would be upset by what you said are the ppl abusing teh system. So many ppl are struggling rigth now and I am glad that there is something out there to ensure that ppl get to eat. I too know ppl who totally abuse it in fact taht outright admit that they keep their income down in order to keep their food stamps and state medical insurance. Yet, they have 2 nicer cars, own their home, go on vacations all the time, go to things like Riverdance and they have a kid in private school!
It just irks me. WE get assistance, but we have 1 car and DH works from sun up to sun down trying to make enough so we don't need it! Good to know that I am not alone feeling this way!

*Thank you peimum for the gorgeous siggy!*
June 17th, 2011, 04:51 PM
cherryblossom88's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i just have to add thats crazy. we are a fam of 6 and all we get is 350 for f/s and thats enough for us. we are never w/o food.
Reagan 8/8/06
Sakura 8/24/09
Amaryea 11/18/10

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search