If your a home owner would you do this. I felt this was really bold to do

Forum: The Venting Room

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Venting Room LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 16th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to pinkpercolator
If you owned a house. Lets say a new family moves in on the block. Would you go up to the new neighbors and tell them what you will and will not tolerate. A coworker Mary who I really don't care for much because of her personality and attitude about things. That part is not a issue for now. She had said her block most the houses are owner occupied. When new families move in. She will go to that new family. Tells them what she will and will not tolerate if they want to live on her block. Says my dh is very particular about front lawns. He keeps ours perfect looking. So don't let your kids play on the front lawn. Make them play in your back yards. The goes on into this long list of things she feels is not ok. That the first time you have a party I will call the police. I could understand if the party went into hours past 10pm and was very loud. Or if during the day hours the party got really rowdy and out of control. In the city quiet hour is from 10pm-8am. So people can make whatever noise with in reason during the day time. She also said she had told people how they will keep their yards and so on. That is very bold. Many of her requests were unreasonable. I could not do that. If something a neighbor did that bothered me. If it was something I could live with. I'd not say anything. But if it was something that affected my house or family in some way. I'd probably say something in a nice way first it bothered me. But to not know the new neighbors. To go up to them and tell them what you will or will not tolerate is rude. That family will think your a nasty person. If your to live together on the same street. You try to get along with everyone on the block. Not be the block jerk. We had one of them. Then he got evicted from where he was renting.
July 16th, 2006, 08:15 AM
JennSTX's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm a home owner and not only would I never do this, I would go ballistic on anyone who had the nerve to come to my door and think they could regulate my life.

Granted, we are good neighbors. After we moved in, our neighbors asked us nicely (after noticing that my DH was pruning the heavily overgrown trees in the backyard) if we could cut several large branches that overhung their property. It was a huge pain in the *&* but we did it, didn't complain as they were hanging over on their property and could have caused damage. We are not partiers (the aforementioned neighbors are and are fairly quiet) However, how I choose to maintain my yard and especially the issue of having children playing in the yard is so over-the-top that one day she is going to get the comeuppance (sp?) she deserves.

Someone should say, "My mortgage is $__.__ and the yearly taxes are $___.__. I will be expecting that amount from you, on time if you expect to control how this home is run. If I don't see payment then you are free to kiss my a&*! Oh yeh, and I was against it but I think I will go with my son's suggestion of having 100 pink flamingoes staked in the front yard. Get off my property."

WE MADE IT TWO YEARS AND & 3 MONTHS BF'ing....he's weaning now!!!

July 16th, 2006, 11:58 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mary has lost her mind!

If anyone tried to tell me where children could play, how I should keep my yard or that she was going to call the police I would ask her what she is on. If she did call the police, then fine, let her. If she calls enough eventually you can file suit against her for harassment. She is out of line & out of her mind if she thinks the world works that way.

I would have asked her to leave after the first sentence.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

July 16th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Chunky Monkey Send a message via Yahoo to Chunky Monkey
I love Jenn's response and it is hard to top that but I 100% agree with both her & Beck on it.

We live in a small neighborhood but do not have nosey neighbors dictating things to us. My next-door neighbor has made some suggestions as to sometimes he can hear us talking really loudly or something like that late at night but not dictating anything to us.

July 16th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to pinkpercolator
My thoughts would be to do something to p.o Mary off. Nothing real bad. But maybe let the kids play in the front yard if I had little kids, while I sit there supervising. If she said something. I'd say Excuse me this is my yard. My kids will play anywhere I want in MY yard. You can do what you want in YOUR yard. I dealt with a bossy neighbor before. He'd tell people how things should be. I did anything I darn well pleased on my property with in the laws of the city. I did not purposely try to upset the neighbors. He'd tell me he worked 3rd shift. So we had to be quiet all day while I slept. I had a police officer tell him that after 8am I could make whatever reasonable noise I wanted to including cutting my grass. Not have a loud obnoxious party but reasonable noises. He didn't like that. Each time he'd tell me we were making to much noise during the day. I said go ahead be my guest and call the the police. You know what they will say and do. He'd go back in his house all mad. He knew I was not in the wrong.
July 16th, 2006, 04:47 PM
RachelC's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to RachelC
Girl, that is just down right crazy!! If I had neighbors like that, I would be telling them where to shove it, and fast!!

We have an elderly neighbor next to us, she is a little on the nosey side, but she has never had the audacity to say anything to us, with the exception of one time. We had just moved in. We had put our garbage out for pickup the next day. It was about 7:30pm or so. She came running over and told us that village ordinance states that you cannot put your garbage on the curb until after 8pm. She was very snooty about it too. This was our first garbage pickup in our new house, ever! She could have been cordial about it. Whenever DH or I are outside, whether it be playing with our DD, or doing yardwork, she tends to come outside too.. just to nose around and see what we're doing. It's obnoxious!

Other then that, we seem lucky. Most of the people on our block are very nice.

But anyway.. no, Ms. Mary needs a quick attitude adjustment. She has absolutly no right to dictate the block, unless she wants to pay everybodies mortgages.

Thank you RaspberryBeret for my gorgeous siggy!

July 16th, 2006, 05:43 PM
greenjeans's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If I were her neighbor and she came over to dictate how my household is run I'd let her know where to send the mortage payment every month and that as a landlord she's responsible for any repairs etc. Then when she gave me a blank stare back I'd tell her that if she causes any trouble and infringes on my right to quiet enjoyment (such as calling the police or harrassing me or my family in anyways) that she would have the police department shoved up her backside.
If she were still standing there I would then inform her that her lawn is too perfect and that the rest of the neighborhood is requiring her to keep her grass no less than 4 inches high with weeds every 5 square feet. THen I would say, "if we notice that no one's seen your kids for a few weeks because they're in the backyard, we'll call cps out there to investigate what's wrong with them." I'm sure she'll be gone by then

I would then proceed to plan a house warming party with everyone I have ever encountered and all the neighborhood except them and provide lots of liquor and music in our new backyard. I would even give rides out on our Harley through the neighborhood. I'm sure she'd love that.

July 17th, 2006, 10:10 AM
mommywannabe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mommywannabe Send a message via MSN to mommywannabe Send a message via Yahoo to mommywannabe
Oh hell no! I can tell you that she probably would never come back to my house again EVER if that was the conversation at her first visit! Then I would probably go out and buy a whole bunch of really ugly and annoying lawn decor and have a great time setting it all up. I would probably even put up my Christmas lights right then and there just to send her a message that I would NOT be letting her tell me how to keep my house and yard. That is just ridiculous! If I had kids we would be out front in the kiddy pool every day that it was warm enough and on the days it wasnt I would let the pool just sit out there. Stupid woman. We moved into a neighborhood that had a lot of older people that lived there. Pretty much all the houses besides 3 were older couples that had been in the houses for years and years. The house we bought was from a younger couple but the husband's parents had bought it 40+ years before that so it had been in the family a long time. Our one neighbors made it a point to say that the boy that lived there before us always come over and mowed his lawn whenever he was mowing his own and DH just kinda gave him a blank stare. LOL. That couple is actually very nice and always friendly, but little things like that tend to annoy me anyway. And they have a tomato plant that is right up against the fence that we share and it vines up it and then drops tomatoes on our side of the fence. That bothers me because my dogs eat them then. One day we left to go to the store and forgot something so we drove around the block to run back home and the neighbor was in our backyard trimming his plant! DH got out of the car and made a comment about it being a nice day to be in your own backyard or something like that. That really bothered me, but we havent seen him do it since. I realize that it was probably hard after having the same neighbors for 40+ years..........but come on!!! Thus is why I would rather live in the country!!!! LOL

casey

July 17th, 2006, 11:09 AM
carolinagirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
O-M-G!! I'd be furious if my neighbor had the nerve to tell me something along those lines.. oh wait.. I am furious b/c my neighbor did something similar. Instead of communicating this to myself or my DH he told our other neighbor!! It was all I could do to not march my fat arse over to his place and deck him!! HOW DARE a neighbor dictate what you can or cannot do to your own property!! I like the flamingo suggestion myself! LOL

My DH and I recently bought our rental property last year. We of course like most americans struggle with money issues and do what we can, when we can to fix the place up. Well part of what needs fixing is going to take 1) alot of money 2) time - both things of which we have very little of. This jerk next door tells my neighbor about us "you would think that they would do something about their pigeon problem"!! I was pissed needless to say. We have had exterminators out to try to remedy the problem but pigeons are habitual -- if they were raised there they keep returning to that place. We have decreased the population dramatically but we still have a few. Like I said to really keep them out we would have to enclose the rafters and we just don't have the extra cash to do so -- other than that we keep our yard nice - we've painted the house - replaced windows - replaced the shutters - replayed the walk way! That bunghole has some nerve! My DH told me last night "let him say something to me.. just let him.. " and then my DH will be hauled off to jail for assualt. We've lived in our neighborhood for 4 years and I can count on one hand and still have fingers left over how many times he's spoken to us - JERK!!

GOD, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference ~ Amen.

My Myspace & Yahoo 360*
July 17th, 2006, 01:24 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
If that were me, I would ask her to write down every one of those "rules" and then I would make sure that I broke every single one of them!!! If I were a renter and she was the landlord, then yes I would have to follow the rules. It's my house and I will do what I please!! NO ONE is going to tell me what to do to MY house or MY property!!
July 18th, 2006, 07:59 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Oh hell no![/b]

That seems to be unanymous

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

July 21st, 2006, 07:36 PM
mommywannabe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mommywannabe Send a message via MSN to mommywannabe Send a message via Yahoo to mommywannabe
Quote:
Quote:
Oh hell no![/b]

That seems to be unanymous
[/b]

That was the first thing that popped into my mind. LMAO. Thinking back, I may have even said it outloud while reading the OP. I tend to do that sometimes and DH will be walking by and just kind of give me a look. haha. He has learned to not even ask because he probably doesnt want to get me started. hehehehe.

July 22nd, 2006, 05:36 PM
Rhonda66's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mary would get a nice flaming bag of dog poop on her front porch if she pulled that in my neighborhood - good luck to her and her "rules"...
July 22nd, 2006, 06:45 PM
irishxrose
Quote:
Mary would get a nice flaming bag of dog poop on her front porch if she pulled that in my neighborhood - good luck to her and her "rules"...[/b]
!!!!!
July 27th, 2006, 09:14 PM
lisa1of13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OMG!! I think her brother & SIL live on my street!! They drive around looking for architectural infractions that they can report to the property managers. They even look in peoples backyards! They said they don't like fences cause then they have to wait till dark. I told them if they ever stepped foot on my property to nose in my back yard they would have a foot up their *****! We live in a 4 bedroom community- does that not imply children?- and they are a retired military couple. Nosey ol ######s! I would tell Mary to bite my *****! What did you say/ do when she was telling you this? I think I would have had to tell her she is a fruitflip! Then I would put the flaming dog poo on her porch
July 31st, 2006, 09:18 AM
JennLynn_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'd be telling her where to go, whether I rented or owned or whatever!!!

PFFT!

http://JenniferDow.SBC90.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search