So angry with the health insurance company now

Forum: The Venting Room

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Venting Room LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2006, 07:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to pinkpercolator
I am so angry with the insurance dh has. He has to go through the state for insurance. All because he is disabled with MS. We this year are paying 906$ every 3 months. Not to include what they take out of his disability check like 90$ a month for Medicare. It's about 400$ a month for his insurance. When I looked on the state insurances web site. You can apply for a discount rate if your in the income guidelines. That is 25.000 a year or less. But they consider my income as part of the household income. Not that I make that much. I have insurance premiums coming out of my check for myself and our son. Then of course uncle Sam takes his cut. By the time that is all said and done with. Your pay check don't amount to much. Then some of dh's bills were not paid. I questioned it. I still had not gotten any answers. All I do is keep paying insurance premiums that are sky high. To have insurance say this that and the other thing is not covered. Why have insurance if they are going to regularily deny claims for different things. In about 7 months our income will go down 850$. That is the money they give dh for our son. When he turns 18 that stops. That was or is money we used for house hold expenses including insurance premiums for all of us. The little bit I got in savings could go quickly if an emergency comes up. Oh the furnace blows or some other unplanned for house repair. I keep thinking. Besides a full time job. I might need a part time job to make ends meet. But at what cost to my mental and physical well being. With dh's health issues. He can't even consider going back to work at this time. He attempted to try and work a little bit. Within the limits of his disability. But the only jobs available were temp jobs. You work a few weeks somewhere then get laid off till the next job comes up. And if you go over disabilities allowed extra money you can make. They take away from your disability. Other insurance denied dh insurance or were even higher than the state insurance. To bad there was not a way to make some money under the table. Not have to report it to anyone.
July 22nd, 2006, 10:43 PM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Chunky Monkey Send a message via Yahoo to Chunky Monkey

That is about all I can offer you, I know nothing about this stuff. But I hope the hug helps!

July 23rd, 2006, 12:39 AM
greenjeans's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I feel ya. I paid $600 bucks for insurance a month & they covered about $20 of my medical bill (pertaining to pcos and bleeding) I dropped them afew months ago (dumb) but they would have paid for my care today and the surgeory I;ll need

I hope you work it out, I konw it sucks i'm here to chat if you'd like

July 23rd, 2006, 04:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Things dh could use to make his life better getting around. They don't pay nothing on. I had to pay for the scooter he uses. Insurance said no. Even though medicare says it's covered. But you got to jump through hoops proving you can't walk from the bed to the bathroom. On a bad dh can't. So I was told to say no he can't all the time. Because that bad day will come and he won't be able. If your lucky to get a wheel chair or scooter. They mostlikely arn't giving nothing for the ramp on the front porch so he can get in and out of the house in that chair/scooter. But some insurance is better than none. Just I don't know how we'll continue to make the premiums in th future. They do cover the expensive 1200$ med for his MS at a 25$ copay. That is good.
July 23rd, 2006, 02:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am sorry that you have to pay so much for insurance. Hopefully the state will be willing to lower the amount you pay soon. I didn't know that they could charge so much for it. I thought that it was free or had really low copayments. I guess that we learn something new everyday.

July 23rd, 2006, 11:02 PM
mrsracatoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mrsracatoe

I am so sorry that you are going through this. I am going through something similiar with the money situation. I have decided to cancel my insurance because they will not pay anything for an RE and thats my next step. So basically its useless for me to continue paying the premium. I feel like insurance companies are a total ripoff for some people because they sound great until you have to use them. In my situation its cheaper for me to cover my own costs instead of going through my insurance so thats what I am going to do! I really hope that everything works out for you. I just wanted you to know that I totally understand your frustration. I will be praying for you and your family!!

August 4th, 2006, 03:34 PM
monkhester
Quote:
Things dh could use to make his life better getting around. They don't pay nothing on. I had to pay for the scooter he uses. Insurance said no. Even though medicare says it's covered. But you got to jump through hoops proving you can't walk from the bed to the bathroom. On a bad dh can't. So I was told to say no he can't all the time. Because that bad day will come and he won't be able. If your lucky to get a wheel chair or scooter. They mostlikely arn't giving nothing for the ramp on the front porch so he can get in and out of the house in that chair/scooter. But some insurance is better than none. Just I don't know how we'll continue to make the premiums in th future. They do cover the expensive 1200$ med for his MS at a 25$ copay. That is good.[/b]
Oh, noooo. I got my husband a scooter by calling the Scooter Store and medicare paid everything. Nothing came out of our pocket. They asked me a few questions and I gave them the name of my husband's doctor and we had the scooter here in about 3 days. My husband has CP and recently had brain surgery. He uses a walker to get around, but he can drive a car. He has limited mobility in one arm and both legs.

Okay, about the ramp. All I did was to call the CP Association in my town and they put me on a waiting list and within 5 weeks there was a crew here to build a ramp with a porch area. Everything was donated and we did not have to buy anything.

Call your local MS organization or United Way. You should be able to get some of these things donated. My MIL couldn't believe that I was able to get these things. She said that she could not get anything for my dh when he was going up. They lived in Nebraska. I live in Tennessee. My sister has a son with CP and she was able to get all his surgeries, ramp, wheelchairs, even a special bike donated.

I hope you are able to get some help. Good luck.
August 4th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Called the MS society. They said they might give up to 300$ only. I have not gotten anyone out to tell us how much a ramp would cost. But online one I assume for our house would be around 1000$ at least.
August 4th, 2006, 06:38 PM
monkhester
Quote:
Called the MS society. They said they might give up to 300$ only. I have not gotten anyone out to tell us how much a ramp would cost. But online one I assume for our house would be around 1000$ at least.[/b]
I don't get it! Why are they charging and even charging so much? What state are you in? Did you call the United Way? Maybe Cerebal Palsy is a lot better than the MS society, because it just took one call. My sister did not have any problem getting stuff done for her child. They are in Alabama.

So strange and I am soooo sorry that people make things so difficult for people in need. I wish you can get someone to build that ramp for you. Please let us know. Good luck!
August 4th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Ashtyns_mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Ashtyns_mom
Quote:
Called the MS society. They said they might give up to 300$ only. I have not gotten anyone out to tell us how much a ramp would cost. But online one I assume for our house would be around 1000$ at least.[/b]
First off file a complaint with tyour states insurance commission for the denials. A lot of times the insurance companies will refuse to pay but if you go through this channel they will end up paying.

As for the ramp... My grandma got a ramp built for her through a local organization for free. They came to her house and built it in one day. Maybe you could check with some local organization and ask if they could help you. Some times local organizations are just looking for community service projects. HTH

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search