So that's what you really think?!

Forum: The Venting Room

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Venting Room LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 5th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Veteran
I was talking to my Dad the other day and he told me a very interesting story that happened just a few days ago. My Dad and Mom are separated but they are on good terms for the most part. Anyways, my Dad was moving out of his house and my Mom along with her parents decided to help my Dad out by cleaning his house along with him. It took a good portion of the day and my Dad decided to treat them out for supper since they were a huge help to him.

During the supper my Mom was talking about how I was going to be renting the apartment from my father since I am going to be a student mother and he would offer me cheap rent. I know she isn't the greatest fan of this idea because she knows the baby will see her grandfather more than her. She has made a few comments before about how the baby won't bond to her like my father because of the living arrangements. Anyways, during that conversation she mentioned how she knew my father was going to raise this baby and not me. I'd be too busy with my friends and my social life to raise my own child.

Safe to say I was furious when my Dad told me this. (My Dad thought it was out of line because he knows I am going to do all in my power to raise this baby while going to school and giving us a life we deserve to have). I know she's mad about the whole bonding thing but to actually think I would neglect my own child and have my Dad raise it? Unlikely. First off, my Dad wouldn't let me get away with that! He offered to babysit on occasion but that was more so for me to go to school or be doing my homework, not for social gatherings. Secondly, I live almost an hour away from all my friends so even going out would be more of a chore than it's worth. Not saying I'll be a hermit but I won't be leaving every second day to join my friends. It just makes me mad that she would say such things!

And by student mom I mean I am going to University, not high school so I think I have some maturity enough to raise my child and be a full time parent and not an occasional one like she thinks I'll become.

And sorry for anyone who actually read all this. Just needed to rant because I can't believe she would say such things. She doesn't know that Dad told me this and I will bring it up to her eventually, I just need to cool down first.
July 5th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Sometimes parents say stupid things because we don't fit into their box of what a parent should be. Just because someone does something differently doesn't mean that it is wrong. I think just by you continuing your education is doing right by your child. Yes, it's not going to be easy raising a child and going to school but it would be worth it.
July 8th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Think she could just be jealous?

December 17th, 2013, 10:45 AM
rachelc0's Avatar 2 sons, 3 angel babies
Kalia20 is right, sounds like she's WAY jealous and grasping at straws.

look at it on the other side; if you were out partying all night and SHE was babysitting, do you think she would feel the same? maybe, maybe not. all you can try to do is reassure her that baby will have it's own, equal relationship with both grandparents regardless of where you live or what you do.

secondly, just to retain your sanity, you NEED time away. with friends. to just be you. and there isn't anything wrong with that. if its an every night thing that's one thing. but one night a month or two is something you absolutely need. i believe that each generation has their own way of child rearing and all the generations judge each other. when my mom was raising us, she rarely ever 'went out'. maybe twice a year. that could play a part of it too

10/06/2008 - Miscarriage @ 6wks
12/08/2009 - Healthy Baby Boy
11/02/2011 - Healthy Baby Boy
06/09/2014 - Stillborn @ 39wks 6days
08/09/2014 - Miscarriage @ 5wks
09/03/2014 - Chemical Pregnancy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search