Fibromyalgia/Chronic Pain VENT

Forum: The Venting Room

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Venting Room LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 23rd, 2013, 10:43 AM
rachelc0's Avatar 2 sons, 4 angel babies
i was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in October 2012 and it definetly was a game-changer. Fybromyalgia (if you don't know) is chronic widespread pain throughout the body. but it's also much more than that. it's headaches/migraines, stiff/sore muscles, extreme fatigue, hard time concentrating or 'fibro fog', memory troubles, and it can also come hand in hand with IBS, etc. what causes it is still in discussion, but is primary found in woman, in their late 20's to 30's. and getting a proper diagnosis is plenty hard on it's own.

the pain started in my left knee in July 2012. i've injured that knee about half a dozen times in cheerleading, volleyball, softball, running, etc so i didn't worry too much about it. then pain in both knees. then my hips and back. around this time, my boss and his wife (we are the only three that work in the office) had left for a 14-day vacay to Sweden, leaving the office and workload in my hands, so i was pretty stressed out. i finally in september had to see my doctor because the pain was really bothering me and nothing seemed to be working. he asked me all kinds of questions, poked me here and there, pulled about a gallon of blood out of my arm, took an xray of my knees. the next week we sat down again to go over the results and everything came back normal. the only thing was that my blood test showed a had a little bit of swelling, so he perscribed me a steroid and said we'll chat in a week.

the steriod helped a little, for about two days, then the pain was back again. another three, four visits, more tests for lupus, arthritis, etc and all came back neg. finally he said ' i want to try something'. he takes his fingers and pushes down on the back of my kneck and oh man did that hurt. he poked a couple of other places that i didn't know would hurt so bad like on my back and my knees. then he said 'well, you failed your trigger point test'. what does that mean? Fibromyalgia. awesome. so we battled over medication and settled on Cymbalta which did seem to help.

when i got pregnant, i met with him about the meds. he said if i could get off of them, that would be ideal and that the pregnancy itself should help releive some of the aches and pains and for the most part it has. but when you have a day (or two or five) of constant pain where nothing seems to help, it's called a 'flare up' which is incredibly common. i've only had a few that have been pretty dibilitating, but i did have one this weekend.

saturday was SIL's daughters 1st birthday party, but i could hardly get out of bed. i told DH there was no way i was going to go. since SIL and i aren't getting along right now, she took it as i didn't go because of her. DH told her that i could hardly get out of bed and she tells him

"well when i have back pain i just see the chiropractor, so that's no excuse"

one thing you DON'T do to someone with chronic pain, is try to write it off like it's no big deal. i was so offended and so upset that i yelled at DH for a good hour. he didn't really deserve it but i did need to let off steam. i don't take any disability for it (although a lot of people do) and when i'm having a flare up i still have to go to work because i need the income but just because i don't come out and say 'i am in pain' doesn't mean i'm not in pain. DH knows if i finally say something hurts, then it really hurts, because i don't like to complain about it too much. and i definetly don't use it as an excuse to get out of things.

the pain is almost hard to describe. it's like ... if you've ever had the flu where your body aches so bad and just laying in bed hurts and your tired and your drained and can hardly thing straight. that's EVERY DAY for me. just some days are a little less painful than others. i have to see SIL tomorrow and i'm telling you what, there will be a showdown over this.
06/09/2014 - Stillborn @ 39wks 6days
08/09/2014 - Miscarriage @ 5wks
09/03/2014 - Chemical Pregnancy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search