We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
I'm new here to your weaning board, but not new to JM...I'm super active in the April '09 PR. I would love to join you all here and start right off with my predicament...
My DD is 5 months old and has been EBF (with pumped bottles and now rice cereal starting last week). I have had a serious pain problem which the doctors were unable to diagnose until now. Now they've found the problem, the doctor has said she would like to put me on a medication that unfortunately does NOT work for bf'ing... I will need to wean DD if I decide to go on this medicine.
It really makes me horribly sad to think of...I am really enjoying bf'ing...It's with a heart of sadness that I am debating what to do. Do I wean over time or abruptly, do I wean at all...I can't continue to live the non-functioning life I have been doing (I can't sit or drive). On the otherhand, I also am not ready to give up the bf'ing....lots of decisions to make in a short time. Any thoughts or help on this subject would be greatly appreciated...if you were me, would you wean? How would you do it???
Here's what my PR friends had to say... http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f7...6-results.html
I don't even know how to wean....????
Also, I do have 138oz of frozen breatmilk in the freezer. DD eats about 35 oz a day (from my guess knowing how much I can pump/how long she bf's...so it won't last long & she'll have to go on formula...
Last edited by LadyBugMommyof1; September 15th, 2009 at 11:45 PM.
Ooh, that's such a tough predicament. I'm so sorry you're having to face this issue.
The only medication that can help you isn't safe for bf'ing - no alternatives?
It sounds like very debilitating pain. Obviously it's usually easiest on baby and your body if you can wean gradually, but that would mean putting off your treatment longer and I'm not sure if you are able to do that.
I am a HUGE bf'ing advocate. I would first check out every alternative or possibility to treat this without the need to wean (and seek a second opinion as well if possible). However, if the only way to treat this and help with the pain is to stop bf'ing I would honestly lean toward weaning - gradually if I could. It's amazing you've endured this much and your little one is so lucky that you have.
If you are able to it's usually best to just replace one feeding a week with a bottle feeding. Maybe you can hold her close and snuggle her (or even do some skin to skin) but feed the bottle to her instead of bf'ing. That way she won't miss out on the closeness and snuggling. Once she's gotten used to taking the bottle one time a day cut out one more nursing session and she will get two bottles a day. Usually first thing in the morning and last thing at night are the last things to change.
You can try mixing bm and formula together and gradually make the mixture more formula and less bm so that she can get used to the taste.
I would try to get as much of a stash as you could and even if it's not a big one you could give her a little bm in each bottle of formula so that she's still getting the benefits from it.
hi and welcome!!!!!
deciding to wean is always a difficult descision especially under your circumstances.
and it is even harder when you are not ready to wean.
i think it is a choice you and only you can make. you need to weigh up wether you will be happier in pain and Bf or pain free but not BF.
if you choose to wean, i would suggest going slowly so as not to affect baby or your body negatively.
maybe start by cutting out 1 nursing session and offering a bottle instead for a few days. and every couple of days cut out another session.
good luck with your choice and please keep us updated on what you decide and how it goes from there.
Thank you ladies! I am still trying to make a decision...but I did try giving her a bottle of formula (only 2 oz) yesterday afternoon...she drank it down like a champ! I was surprised & secretly hoping she'd hate it...not the case. So, as I work on trying to make my decision, I will be offering the one 2 oz bottle a day.