Questions about Baby led Weaning

Forum: Weaning

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Weaning LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 18th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi, I am relatively new to JM, though I was a lurker for awhile! I have some questions about baby led weaning. Let me start with some backgound, I apologize if it is long! My son Lucas is 6 1/2 months old and BF. He has always disliked taking a bottle and only drinks about 6-7 ounces a day while i am at work. He nurses about 5 times a day besides that, so my pedi says he is getting enough, even though his weight gain has slowed. I started trying solids in the middle of July, thinking that when i started work (i am a teacher) that even though he wasn't drinking much he would eat solids twice and thus not be starving. well, that hasn't worked so well as he really doesn't like anything! I've tried just about everything, and he only ever wants to eat about 5 spoonfuls. So I am thinking he doesn't like baby food? And maybe would like table food, but I am unsure exactly how to do it and what food choices are good. He has two bottom teeth, but when I give him the little puffs he usually gags right away. he also doesn't do the pincer grasp yet. I would appreciate any help/suggestions/information! Thank you in advance!
September 18th, 2009, 10:51 AM
kerian's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
hi and welcome!!!!!!
i found these the other day. have a look.
baby led weaning :: Main Page
Baby Led Weaning - Home
Baby-led Weaning: Helping Your Baby to Love Good Food

he is very small and at his age my LO was only eats a few spoons of food once a day. there is no rush in introducing solids. it is better to go slow. keep offering a few tastes often just to make sure there are no allergies. and once he is coping better with that then start giving him bits of your food.

but dont give up yet. Kyla was not that into solids till she was 7 months old. now at 14months she loves food and wilol eat anything you offer.
and this really helped me alot
Mother-2-Mother.com

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy

September 18th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you so much, this is great info! I just get concerned because I read about all these other babies around his age that love eating and gobble it up several times a day and so forth. But this makes me feel much better, along with the fact that I keep telling myself that i have never met anyone who doesn't like to eat, so eventually he will come around!
September 18th, 2009, 06:15 PM
~Valerie~
He' still fairly young. I wouldn't worry too much about how much food he eats. He should still get most of his nutrition from bf until the age of 1
September 19th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Snowpeas
I agree to just keep offering him the baby foods. It doesn't sound like he's ready for table food yet. 5 spoonfuls is still really good. As he gets older and adjusts to the tastes he will eat more and more when he's ready.
September 21st, 2009, 05:37 PM
cln1812's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DD wouldn't eat the purees either (I tried at 6 months). Closer to 7.5 months she finally started eating some table foods--she grabbed an apple slice I was eating and started gnawing and eating it (that's how I knew she was ready to start solids). After that, we did avocado, banana, soft fresh pears, Puffs then cheerios, chicken, brown rice, etc. She wasn't a big solids eater until well past 1 (around 15 months, once she'd been walking well a couple months). She still doesn't eat a ton, won't drink cow's milk (still BF's). Until she was 1, nearly all her substantial nutrition came from BM except for a rare meal here & there.

Don't stress about it! I just put the solids away and would try again every week or 2 until she was ready.

My Ovulation Chart

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search