Help--What to do after last nursing?

Forum: Weaning

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Weaning LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 21st, 2009, 06:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi ladies! I have been in the process of weaning my 11 month old for the last month or so. I did it really gradually by eliminating one feeding at a time. I was down to morning and night for a week or two, then I just did night for a couple of days. I was not feeling full at all so I was thinking I'd be fine when I stopped completely. Well it's been two days and now I am getting very full and beginning to really hurt. I don't think I should pump, because wouldn't that encourage more milk production? Is there anything I can do to help? I'm afraid it's going to get unbearable soon and I don't want to get a plugged duct (had that before...OUCH) or mastitis or anything. Thanks so much for your help.

September 22nd, 2009, 04:30 AM
*Fiona*
I stopped over a weekend, on the Friday I pumped 4 x 2oz to add to a bottle of formula and she nursed for 5mins before bed, on the Saturday I pumped 4 x 1oz for her bottles and she nursed for about 1-2mins before bed, and the Sunday I pumped nothing and no nursing.

I felt engorged for a good few days then it eased quickly, I got engorged againf or 1 day and nothing since. I'd say it took about 5-7days in all for it to ease. I wore a tight bra and wore it to bed for the bad nights.
September 22nd, 2009, 09:12 AM
Snowpeas
You can try putting cold cabbage leaves in your bra or wearing a tight bra for a few days. Also you can try massaging your breasts in the shower to see if that helps relieve the pressure.

I definitely wouldn't recommend pumping as you're right, that would just prolong the process and encourage more milk to be produced.

KUP
September 22nd, 2009, 10:18 AM
kerian's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
hi and welcome!!!!!!!!
sore boobs are no fun. i would maybe just manually express just a small bit in the shower. just enough to take the edge off. dont empty them, just enough to take away the soreness. in a few days time you should start feeling better.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy

September 22nd, 2009, 01:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you ladies for your help (and hi Fiona )! It hasn't gotten any worse, which I am thankful for. I will try your suggestions about a tight bra and massage and try the others if it gets worse. Thanks!

September 22nd, 2009, 03:09 PM
*Fiona*
Hello Kelly!! to you too!

On day 3ish I sooooo wanted to pump, but I just thought "I've come this far, if I pump, I'll have to do it all again". It is difficult being sore & uncomfortable, but it wont last forever.

How is Hallie doing without nursing? Has she been ok with it?
September 23rd, 2009, 12:21 PM
kerian's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
how do they feel today?

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search