Questions for Moms who have weaned

Forum: Weaning

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Weaning LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 30th, 2009, 02:15 PM
wishfulgal
1) How did you go about the process of weaning?

2) Did you gain weight after weaning?

3) Did you "feel better" after weaning? (emotionally and physically)?

Just a few questions I'm not weaning yet but thinking about doing it in the next month or two. I would actually like to gain some weight (I'm eating like a pig and can't keep up), and I'm wondering if BFing might be partially responsible for me being moody/emotional/hormonal.
Thanks for your input
September 30th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Snowpeas
1) How did you go about the process of weaning? Olivia slowly weaned herself during my pregnancy

2) Did you gain weight after weaning? Yes - but I was also 5-6 months pregnant. lol

3) Did you "feel better" after weaning? (emotionally and physically)? Hard to say as I was pregnant at the time.

I definitely think that the bf'ing hormones contribute to moods.
October 1st, 2009, 12:34 AM
kerian's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i havent weaned yet, cos Kyla has decided she is not ready.

my doctor did say that after weaning your hormones fluctuate slightly then settle down again.
there could be many resons for your moods/emotions to be a bit out of whack.
has your cycle returned? just before mine returned i was on an emotional rollercoaster of note.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy

October 18th, 2009, 10:42 AM
LadyBugMommyof1's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
GL with your decision! It sounds like you are putting some great thought into the process ahead of time!

I did it in 3 weeks...had to for my own health (see below). I cut out 1 nursing per day. Left the night nursings for last (she wad still bf'ing 2-4 times a night). At the end, I was down to 2 feedings total per 24 hours. We had one last session (during the day so we both could enjoy it ) then that was it. I iced, expressed milk in the shower (not a lot, but enough to relieve the pain), took motrin as needed, and wore crushed green cabbage at night. It's been 8 days since I've weaned & my bb's are still leaking, but not nearly as sore as a few days ago. It does hurt, but a sports bra (tight) and a non nursing top (no easy access for the LO's to try to get to bb) really helped me.

Not yet...but I didn't seem to lose weight while bf'ing (one of the rare few who gained)

3) Did you "feel better" after weaning? (emotionally and physically)? Doing ALOT better...I had to wean to go on some meds for a serious health problem & already, I think I am starting to do better. don't get me wrong, I really really miss the "connection" bf'ing gave me & DD
October 18th, 2009, 02:23 PM
*Fiona*
Kirsty basically weaned herself. She became a very distracted nurser, and hardly fed through the day. Her best feed was bedtime & through the night. This led to her losing a little weight so I decided to wean. I had planned to drop 1 feed per week over a 4 week period. But Kirsty took to the bottle very well (after my trying from 2months old and her refusing!!!) so I only offered bottle on day 1 of weaning - if she had looked for the breast, I wouldn't have refused, but she didn't!
Day 1: I pumped 2oz, 4 times that day to mix with 3oz formula in a bottle, she had a small BF before bed
Day 2: I pumped 1 oz, 4 times and mixed with 4oz formula in a bottle, she had 1 minute BF before bed.
Day 3: no pumping, no BFing, 100% formula

I don't actually know what I weighed before I weaned so I can't really comment for sure. But my clothes still fit fine so I must be ok!

3) Did you "feel better" after weaning? (emotionally and physically)?
Emotionally, I felt better because I knew Kirsty was feeding better. It was strange but because Kirsty didn't miss the breast, I probably found it fairly easy on my emotions. She loves her bottles!
Physically, I didn't have any physical "symptoms" of BFing so not applicable really.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search