Think i've got a fussy eater

Forum: Weaning

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Weaning LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 23rd, 2009, 05:23 AM
Haltia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Haltia Send a message via MSN to Haltia
Karl just isn't interested in trying new foods! We've been weaning since he was 4months 1 week as milk just wasn't enough for him!

Started him on baby rice but he took a disliking to that pretty quickly so i moved onto fruit purees and then a week later introduced veggies. He went off his veggies for ages and now i can get some into him, but he will only eat - carrot, apricot and fennel mix :/ i've tried to introduce other veggies but he just spits them out or refuses! so i just give him the carrot mix knowing he will eat that.

I only give him that one course at either dinner or tea time depending on how tired he is and have started waiting 30-45 mins after the feed before i do but he doesn't take alot. I've also tried to introduce a breakfast using fruits so he's still getting something sweet but he doesn't seem that bothered!

I just want to break these bad habits as where coming up to him been 6 months and i'd love for him to be able to share meal times with us but i'm at a loss!

Any advice is more than welcome!
October 23rd, 2009, 01:52 PM
*Fiona*
Have you thought about trying one veg or fruit by itself? Like only carrot puree? Or only broccoli puree? Would he eat that perhaps? Maybe go "back to basics".

I know we talked about this a little on the UK Board. If you can find veg that he will eat on their own, you could then try mixing those up and adding meat gradually. Have you tried butternut squash? It's a fave for babies new to foods. Sweet potato?
October 23rd, 2009, 02:38 PM
Snowpeas
How many times do you introduce a new food to him?

I have no experience with fussy eaters (my dd will eat anything) but I do remember hearing or reading somewhere that it can take up to 12 times or more of being introduced to a food before they will eat it/realize they like it.
October 23rd, 2009, 06:02 PM
LadyBugMommyof1's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've got no advice...DD refuses basically anything from a spoon. Just wanted to say hi & welcome!!!
October 24th, 2009, 01:53 AM
*Fiona*
Emma & Susan, have either of you tried going straight to finger food? By this I mean small chunks of very cooked soft fruits & veggies? At least this way, he spoon doesn't have to be involved. Baby can pick up the pieces of food by him/herself.

You will probably have to help, I have been doing a bit of this with Kirsty . She hasn't mastered the pincer grip (thumb & index finger) yet, she picks things up in her fist then can't eat it because it's inside her hand

I usually put some pieces on the tray on her highchair, and help by putting some in her mouth with my fingers. I've found sweet potato or pear is good to begin with as these are very soft when cooked.
October 25th, 2009, 07:12 PM
I did think about that Fi as he loves to grab things and shove them in his mouth plus hes older now he might be able to handle finger foods a bit better.
October 25th, 2009, 07:33 PM
LadyBugMommyof1's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've been debating this idea with my DH... He's worried about choking and rushing her into eating if I have my way, we will try it soon!
October 26th, 2009, 01:49 AM
*Fiona*
My DH is so paranoid about choking. Anytime I give Kirsty any finger foods he always says "omg she will choke on that".

I read somewhere that the pieces should be no larger than your pinky fingernail. Personally I make them just a little smaller though. Small enough to swallow whole, but big enough to be picked up, put into mouth and chewed by gums. As long as they are very soft.

I'm not saying your baby wont choke sometimes, it's part of their development as they go from opening their mouth & swallowing immediately (pureed foods), to opening & mushing with gums.
October 27th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Well we tried little cubes of cheese and little cubes on nana and he loves it! He loves the inderpendance and the mess he can make lol and just shoved it in and i also got him to try a little pot of petit filous and he ate it all.

Though i'm not sure there ok for him? it did say from 4-6 months onwards on the tub thought i know you shouldnt always believe that.

Also got him to eat a full portion of veggies as well! and porrige for brekkie so proud of my little man

i know we've still got a long way to go and it might be a fluke but im so happy!
October 28th, 2009, 01:07 AM
*Fiona*
That;s fantastic Emma!!!! WTG both of you!!!! Kirsty had yogurt from 6m I think but I'm absolutely sure they are fine.

You might find that giving him cubes of food to feed himself, you might be able to get a spoonful into his mouth in between cubes If he is enjoying feeding himself and more relaxed he might accept the spoon easier. Altho it sounds like he is doing fab!! Small steps
October 29th, 2009, 04:31 PM
He had Beef stew yesterday and some toast to chew on at breakfast and he did really well! I'm just so happy he's trying new things and i think you where right Fi giving him the chance to feel his food and play with it a little has made him less scared of the spoon.

Little bit of an off day today as he has a viral infection again but will keep going once he's better!

Thanks Fi it nice to hear from other people your not doing it wrong if you KWIM?
October 29th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Sweetie Karen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
WTG both of you!! Sounds like Karl is enjoying finding his way around his foods!
I hope he's feeling better soon though!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search