Finger Foods for early eaters

Forum: Weaning

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Weaning LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 24th, 2009, 02:47 AM
Sweetie Karen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Evan is only just over 4 months now, we introduced baby rice on Sunday and since then he has progressed slowly onto fruit and veg (we aren't giving him rice at all now). He was definately ready for solids and has had no tummy issues or any problems accepting food which is great but he wants to be involved in the feeding process

We have been giving him soft cooked carrot or sweet potato pieces while we are eating which he can grab in his hand and suck out of his fist which he loves but does anyone have some more suggestions of things to give him? Whether its early or not, if he is interested in food and is sitting at the table with us I would like to encourage him rather than keep food away from him to make meal times a positive thing and hopefully avoid issues later on. I'm not really bothered that he gets very little in his mouth or that he makes lots of mess, I am happy for him to explore at his own rate
October 24th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Snowpeas
What about ripe bananas or chunky mashed potatoes?
October 24th, 2009, 09:53 PM
LadyBugMommyof1's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Super soft steamed green beans (cut in tiny pieces) and small soft avocado chunks are good options too it's great he's so interested in eatting. My DD is 6 months old and could care less about foods...she likes the spoon, just not with anything on it!!!

to the banana idea!
October 25th, 2009, 01:14 AM
I tried him with a chunk of ripe banana yesterday, he wasn't sure on the texture at first but like everything else, he wasn't for giving it up without a good go!

I will definately give the beans a go because I love them so we tend to eat them loads at home!

I guess we are lucky that Evan is interested in food, I want to make sure it continues!
October 25th, 2009, 05:19 AM
*Fiona*
If you peel an apple, core it so you have a ball with a hole in the middle, then slice it so you have a slice with a hole in the middle, although he can't eat it as such, it's good for them to explore, and get the juice from. The hole in the middle is good as a grip - I find Kirsty finds it hard to pick up most fruits because they are slimy.

You could also steam apple chunks and give him them for eating.

Peel an apple, and grate it through the tiny holes on your cheese grater - these shreds are great for first finger foods, alos for putting through other foods when he comes to the stage of lumpy texture. You can do this with pear as well.

Chunks of ripe mango - not too much to begin with as mango is quite a rich fruit

Any cooked veggies would work as well. I tend to give kirsty chunks of whatever veggies we have for dinner, just to keep her occupied whilst we eat.

It's really fantastic that he is keen to try things!!
October 29th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Thanks Fi, every night this week Evan has had chunks of steamed veggies on his tray of the high chair while we are eating. He seems to love being involved in whats going on and spends ages playing with the food. Not a huge amount gets into his mouth if I'm honest but thats fine because he is being spoon fed his meals so I know he is still getting enough

He even tried and put a wedge of butternut squash in his ear the other day which was messy to say the least!!
October 30th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Haltia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Haltia Send a message via MSN to Haltia
aww bless him he sounds like he's doing fab!
November 1st, 2009, 12:09 PM
*Fiona*
At this stage it's not really that important that he eats the foods, as you said he's getting his food from you. But it is very good for them to learn to touch and feel foods. He sounds like he;s doing great!
November 2nd, 2009, 09:09 AM
he is doing fab, I am so proud of him
He really loves mash (the texture rather than the taste tbh ) and butternut squash but he will give anything a go, no matter how soft or slimy, he doesn't give up without a fight!
November 2nd, 2009, 02:28 PM
*Fiona*
Bless him!!

I must try and get Kirsty into finger foods. She does try to pick them up and eat them, but if it's too small a piece it gets lost inside her hand and she can't eat it, if it's slightly bigger she puts the whole piece in her mouth at once but doesn't chew it fully. I'm terrified of her choking!! I must try her with sweet potato pieces again and I bought butternut squash today so she can have chunks of that too!
November 2nd, 2009, 03:17 PM
I sometimes buy butternut squash wedges from tesco from the fresh bit, they are quite big, I just boil them up till soft then half them and give them to Evan to chew on. Even when he does get a bit thats too big in his mouth he has been quite good at spitting it out....so far at least!
November 3rd, 2009, 12:45 AM
*Fiona*
That's good he spits the big pieces out!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search