Sweetie Karen

Forum: Weaning

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Weaning LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 26th, 2009, 02:55 AM
*Fiona*
How is Evan doing with eating? WHat has he had so far? Any obvious favourites?
October 30th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Sweetie Karen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Evan has become a little eating machine Fi, thanks for asking!

He is having baby cereal with 2oz bm every morning then a cube of fruit at lunchtime and a cube of veg in the evening sometimes followed by another taste of fruit if he is looking for it.

So far he has tried...
broccoli
carrot and spud
butternut squash and cauliflower
pear and apple
banana
apple and blackberry
carrot and peas
green beans and butternut squash
He also tried a yoghurt and demolished it

He absolutely loves butternut squash and makes an 'mmmmm' noise after each spoonful!
There isn't anything he has tried that he hasn't liked but he definately seems to like savoury things over sweet at the moment
October 30th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Haltia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Haltia Send a message via MSN to Haltia
WTG Evan and mummy! sounds like he's doing fab and you too it's hard work weaning!
November 1st, 2009, 01:08 PM
*Fiona*
That's excellent Karen!!! Did you buy blackbrries in the supermarket? What did you do with them? I'm looking to try new fruits with Kirsty but not too sure what ones.
November 2nd, 2009, 10:07 AM
Fi I bought a little package of blackberries from my local greengrocers, boiled them up for a few minutes and stuck them in the blender with an apple I had already cooked up. Blackberries can be quite tart but Evan didn't seem to mind them at all...he is an eating machine!!
November 2nd, 2009, 03:30 PM
*Fiona*
I got some today and used an Annabel Karmel recipe - in hindsight I wish I hadnt as it uses sugar I used half the amount recommended by the recipe but I'm not happy about sugar in her food It only made 3 or 4 portions but next time I'll do it without!

I did them with 2 apples and 1 pear. I noticed though, the blended didn't blend the seedy bits you get in blackberries. I think Kirsty will be just fine with that though. She seems ok with sharp tasting fruits as well!! I made apricot puree when she was first starting foods - I have never tasted anything so darn sour but she loved them!
November 2nd, 2009, 04:14 PM
Lots of Evan's foods have seedy bits or aren't quite smooth but I just figure that if he is coping with those now then all the better for moving forward kwim?
The one time I had to give him a jar of food while we were out he was most unimpressed with it and I wonder if its because it had no texture compared to what I give him that I have made myself??

I haven't tried apricots yet as they aren't in season but I have held up a nectarine that was quite sour and let Evan gum at it and he adored it...he sooked it till I was just left with bits of string!
November 3rd, 2009, 04:39 PM
~* Helen *~'s Avatar A Prince And 2 Princess's
Aww hes doing fab !!!
I am at a loss as to what fruits to try !! she loves banans, apples and pears and thats as far as we have got !

i might blend down oranges ?? although not as a smooth puree as she on the lumps now !!
November 4th, 2009, 06:54 AM
I haven't used oranges because they are so messy to peel and pithy...I worried that blending it up might not taste nice unless you only used the flesh and in all honesty I am far too lazy for that

Evan loves most fruits we have tried so far though and he did have a wee sook on a bit of tangerine and seemed to like it
November 4th, 2009, 08:46 AM
*Fiona*
I was stuck on apples & pears for such a long time! Have since tried mango (it's a strong fruit so only a little bit!), kiwi, strawberries (apparently these are not recommended for under a year though incase of allergies - something I didn't know), blackberries,

Helen, you could try adding a pinch of cinnamon to apples and/or pears. Really adds a new flavour to them. Perhaps even nutmeg. I've used both in these fruits for Kirsty.

Sweet potato & cinnamon is a recipe in the annabel karmel book too!
November 4th, 2009, 11:24 AM
I have used cinnamon and cardamon (sp?) in fruit for Evan and he really likes it

Fi, I know that they say strawberries can cause allergic reaction in young babies but you can buy apple and strawberry fruit pots for babies from 4 months so I wouldn't be too worried
November 4th, 2009, 01:50 PM
*Fiona*
For as much as she has in one mealtime, I can't see that it would cause any issues. I have given it to her twice and it was 1 strawberry chopped into pieces for each mealtime. It's enough for her to mix in withh yogurt or to munch on.

Thing is, if we don't try, how will we know if it causes a reaction or not?!
November 4th, 2009, 04:26 PM
~* Helen *~'s Avatar A Prince And 2 Princess's
I totally agree ... I haven't tried strawberries yet .. can't seem to find them down here

I want to try her on eggy mash .. Ryan LOVED this .. with her I seem more apprehensive in trying things linked to allergies such as egg ... never even knew bout a strawberry allergy ?? How can one be allergic to a fruit ???
November 5th, 2009, 01:30 PM
*Fiona*
Tesco have strawbs in just now Helen.
November 10th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I can see why people worry about allergies, I really can, especially if there is a history of reactions in the family.

For me, I think that our society creates lots of issues for children by shielding them from things. I think that in years gone by, even when I was young, our parents didn't have half as many do's and don'ts about food and my generation doesn't have nearly as many food allergies as children do today.
There is even a recent report that suggests that mothers who avoid peanuts in pregnancy can be more prone to their child having nut allergies than those who indulge and while I know there are two sides to this story, its certainly food for thought!

Helen, your local fruit shop should have lots of seasonal berries in for a good price atm

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search