Down to nursing once a day...now what?

Forum: Weaning

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Weaning LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 28th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm weaning my son and have been just nursing him once a day for about a week now. When I'm ready to cut out that feeding, what do I do? Just nurse one last time and that's it and my milk will dry up? Or go to every other day nursing for a few days? Weaning has gone really smoothly so far, but I'm just not sure what to do at the end. Thanks!

My Ovulation Chart
October 28th, 2009, 07:28 AM
*Fiona*
All I can say is, do what you feel is right for you and Mason. But I wonder if nursing every other day might confuse him?

If it was me, I would just pick a day I felt comfortable stopping and go for it, but thats just me. It took me 2 months to dry up completely, from what I've read, that is quite normal. However I went from 90% BFing one day to 100% bottle feeding the next. Not sure how it would work for you seeing as you gradually cut down.

Please KUP though, Im interested to see how it goes for both you & Mason!
October 28th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Fiona* View Post
All I can say is, do what you feel is right for you and Mason. But I wonder if nursing every other day might confuse him?

If it was me, I would just pick a day I felt comfortable stopping and go for it, but thats just me. It took me 2 months to dry up completely, from what I've read, that is quite normal. However I went from 90% BFing one day to 100% bottle feeding the next. Not sure how it would work for you seeing as you gradually cut down.

Please KUP though, Im interested to see how it goes for both you & Mason!

Thanks, that's what I was thinking, that I should just stop one day...I just didn't know if I would get engorged or something by stopping suddenly.Sorry, I have silly questions, I've never done this before.
Another silly question :
How do you know when you are "dried up"?

My Ovulation Chart
October 28th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Snowpeas
You might get a little engorged but because it's only once a day it shouldn't be too bad. Just make sure to wear a tight bra.

You should notice a difference in your breasts once your milk is gone.

Good luck!
October 28th, 2009, 01:16 PM
*Fiona*
No question is a silly question!!

I did get engorged but then I stopped quicker than you. I should imagine you still might seeing as your body needs to adjust. Mine lasted about 5-7 days but as I said I stopped quicker.

I was lucky and didn't really leak, only one night through the night. But I knew my milk was gone because I was checking every few days by trying a tiny bit of hand expressing. Literally 2 drops to see if there was any. Totally dry now and it's been 8-9wks
October 30th, 2009, 10:50 AM
LadyBugMommyof1's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If you get uncomfortable, a tight bra and motrin really helped me. I also iced and used crushed, cooled green cabbage leaves in my bra at night. But I did the entire weaning process (from 13-18 feedings a day to NONE) in 3 weeks, so I was really uncomfortably engorged. GL & KUP!!!
November 1st, 2009, 12:16 PM
*Fiona*
How are you doing?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search