Swaddle Weaning?

Forum: Weaning

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Weaning LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 27th, 2009, 04:58 AM
Jade27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just thought I'd post this question here for any suggestions. My LO is 5 months and we want to wean her from the swaddle, but she keeps hitting herself in the face with her arms, any suggestions on how to make the swaddle transition.

We've been trying just leaving one arm free, but she still hits herself, DH is afraid she is going to really hurt herself pulling her arms free from it.
November 27th, 2009, 05:37 AM
*Fiona*
Hi there & welcome aboard!!

I've not personally tackled swaddling weaning, but I have seen many threads about it on various boards here. Consensus seems to be that it is started by keeping a hand free, working up to an arm free, then that arm plus opposite hand... then arm, and further and further down the waist.

I can't imagine your LO would hurt herself so badly... she may get a fright by this hand suddenly hitting her face, but she would quickly adapt and learn to control her movements. Why not try it during daytime napping first - that is, if you swaddle during napping?
November 27th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Jade27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the ideas, I'll give it a try.

You said you haven't tackled it, are you still swaddling or did you never do it?
November 27th, 2009, 12:43 PM
*Fiona*
Well, I guess I did in a sort of way, but it was uneventful.

We started swaddling Kirsty when she was about 2 weeks old... DH realised her hands hitting her face was what was waking her up through the night.

We stopped swaddling immediately when I went in to get her up one morning and she had wriggled half way up the cot through the night, out of the swaddling and was cold, bless her!! I think she was about 2 or 3 months old. At that point we swapped the swaddling blanket for a sleeping bag (grobag?).

Have you thought about trying a growbag? I guess it may feel similar to swaddling just more loose? Kirsty wasn't dependant on her swaddling so it was an easy transition for me!

Keep posting and let us know how it goes... I bet there are lots of mums who will find this useful and hopefully may post to add their experiences!!
November 27th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Snowpeas
No experience here either. DD hated the swaddle. DS hated it at first but he likes it a lot now.

I worry about him getting dependent on it, will be interested to hear how it goes for you.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search