Hi im new

Forum: Weaning

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Weaning LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 3rd, 2009, 11:33 AM
amber1214's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My name is amber and I am trying to wean my 1 yo of of BF he doesnt take a bottle or a paci the only thing he uses for comfort is the breast so its been really rough. Im ready to throw in the towel and just continue to bf until he wants to self wean but I would really like to be done with bfing lol. Any advice would be great! I think this is why I let my 4 yr old have his bottle until he was 3 lol.
December 3rd, 2009, 02:10 PM
~* Helen *~'s Avatar A Prince And 2 Princess's
Hello and welcome ... sorry I can't offer advise on weaning from breast to cup as I wasn't a breastfeeder.
December 3rd, 2009, 06:01 PM
heatherbelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hey Amber Does Noah like his sippys? Collin isn't picky, however if I say "milkie" in his prescence he dives for my boobs and cries until I let him nurse. I just have to make sure not to say it around him and he's cool though.

Have you tried straw cups? How are you weaning, just taking one feeding away at a time? I hope it gets easier!!

~*thank you Alex Aiden Mommy for my siggy!*~

December 4th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Snowpeas

Does he take a sippy or straw cup? If he doesn't I would keep introducing it to him once a day or so.

My dd was a huge booby baby who never took a bottle or pacifier either. We introduced the sippy cup to her every day for months, and finally one day it clicked. She started to love her sippy cup and gradually weaned herself of bf'ing.

They say most bf babies can use straw cups very easily but my dd was the exception. We bought her a nuby sippy cup with a soft spout to start with to ease her into the transition.

Let me know if you have any other ?'s - BTDT
December 4th, 2009, 01:24 PM
*Fiona*
Hello Amber and welcome to the weaning board

See that little angelic face in my siggy.... she was 10000% booby baby! I honestly thought I would BF her til she was 18yrs old!!! I wanted to wean her onto bottles when she was 2months old. I tried every bottle on the market, with no success. It was very frustrating. I tried everyday for a few months, then gave up as it just wasn't working, she would cry as soon as I showed her the bottle. Then at 5months she got too darned distracted to nurse properly through the day and lost a little weight which gave me the confidence to try again. I picked one type of bottle & stuck with it, offering it one feed per day for a week. Then overnight she just took the bottle for every feed and never looked for booby. I'm not sure how it worked TBH!!

Just pick one bottle type (or cup if it's cup you're trying to get to) and keep with it, perhaps give it to her empty to explore on her own terms, just make sure she doesn't suck too much on it as she'll suck in air. Perhaps a few times so she gets the hang of it. but let her mouth it and touch with hands etc.

KUP on how things go?
December 4th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Thanks ladies . Yeah He already takes a straw sippy. and I give him Alomd milk in it. He likes his sippy and sometimes I can distract him with the sippy and he wont BF but other times its like nope I want my booby lol. I cant really just pick a feeding and nurse him bc he nurses sooooo much for like 5 mins at a time. so I just offer him the cup and if he wont take it I give him the boob.
December 5th, 2009, 02:33 AM
*Fiona*
Sounds very much like comfort nursing. That must be quite hard on you, demanding.
December 5th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Yeah it is. I dont know what o replace it with ya know? Like when he is just thristie but when he want to use me as a paci... I dont want to let him just cry ya know?
December 6th, 2009, 04:39 AM
*Fiona*
I would try distracting him with toys, books, read a story, sing songs. Sit on the floor with him in your legs, with his back to you... maybe the "out of sight, out of mind" might help for a bit?

Does he take a paci? Comfort blanket or toy?
December 6th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Nope no paci I have given him blankets but he doesnt take them just the boob lol. The out of sight out of mind deff works or when we are out and about so he is distracted he nurses hardly at all Ill have to try to distract him at home.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search