Weaning from breast to bottle?

Forum: Weaning

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Weaning LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 18th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi,

joseph is 5 1/2 months and i only planned to breastfeed to 6 months, we have hit so many problems along the way i'm so proud we got to 6 months!! Now when i weaned my girls from breast to bottle they were only 12 weeks and had been supplemented for about 5 weeks before the switch so it was easy. With Joseph he loves his booby so much, he does take a bottle of expressed stuff a day so he has no problems taking bottles but he's so impatient cos he's used to it being right there i dont think he'd wait for a bottle to be ready. How should i go about switching him? Should i drop a feed a week? Should i mix BM with formula to ease him into the taste of it? I'm kind of sad about stopping but i feel ready at the same time.....any advice is much appreciated

December 22nd, 2009, 07:30 AM
*Fiona*
Hello

Sorry for the delay in replying to your thread, hopefully you saw my post on the UK board about me being snowed in up at my parents and I just didn't have the internet time to come to all my boards Plus mum's internet is sooooo slow!!

Firstly, WTG for BFing this far!!! Be proud!!! You've made a great start in that he will accept a bottle, so that's fab!!

How I did it was I made Kirsty's bottle part BM, part formula, and gradually cut down the amount of BM and increased the formula. I was lucky enough to do it over 3 days... day 1 being 2oz formula/3oz BM, and by day 3 it was 100% formula.

Do you know which brand of formula you will switch to? I was advised by Lisa on the UK Board, that Aptamil is the closest tasting to BM and I decided for that reason to go with it. Kirsty loves her milk and I've not had any digestive/poop issues with her... in fact it helped her poop!!

My plan was to drop 1 feed per week, switching that feed to bottle. However, Kirsty had different plans and weaned completely off the breast overnight. She wasn't taking much milk from the breast at the time as she was so distracted, so it was easier for me to switch.

Go with your gut instinct and please KUP on the progress!!!
December 22nd, 2009, 07:54 AM
Snowpeas
I agree. Dropping nursing sessions gradually and adding more formula and less bm in the bottles gradually seems to work the best. Good luck!
December 22nd, 2009, 12:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'll use aptimal fiona - i used that with the girls and it was great on their tummy's!

Thanks for the advice, i gave him his 1pm feed today in a bottle with 3oz BM and 2oz formula, he swallowed it down. Deep down i know i'm ready to wean, its been a hard road to get to 25 weeks and i'm hoping that at 6 months he'll be ready to drop another feed or two. Like you say, its hard knowing once i'm donw he'll never nurse again!!

Ps i saw your UK post, glad you got home safe, we have loads of snow here too!!

December 22nd, 2009, 01:33 PM
*Fiona*
I'm so pleased he took a part formula/part BM bottle for you! That's a great step forward!! KUP!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search