Hello, New here

Forum: Weaning

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Weaning LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 20th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Veteran
Hi,
I started looking at this message board because I think we started to wean. I was BF with a little supplemental formula and started solids this month. LO is 24 weeks (so pretty much 6mo)
Due to awful work week 2 wks ago I missed a few pumps, and I was away from my guy 12plus hour days for 4 days. My supply suffered. He did FINE with formula and bottles. So I never invested the time to try to get the supply back up. I think I knew 6 mo mark was coming.
I have no idea what to do! He wants to nurse, but there is not enough. So I give him a bottle of formula after I nurse him. I can tell he's SO much happier with the bottle. I do have some BM in the freezer.
So, How do you do it?
What works? cont with little nursings, then supplement?
Or skip the nursing and just pump here and there, stretching it out. No one ever told me how to wean, I dont think I read it anywhere either???
HELP!

Jace Clayton 6.29.11
Jacoby Joseph 7.6.09

December 21st, 2009, 03:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm in the same boat, my little guy is 25 weeks so we're getting to weaning, he's never had formula yet! I spoke to my health visitor and she said if i want to wean completely to drop a feeding every few days (like 3-7, whatever i'm comfortable with) to make it easier on my boobs and joseph. She also said if i want i can still nurse maybe in the morning or at night or whenever i choose, like keep one or two nursing sessions and give formula the rest of the time. I had planned to wean completely by 6 months, as it gets near i know i'm ready but feeling a little sad!

Let me know how you get on

sheryl
x

December 21st, 2009, 06:45 PM
Veteran
Keep me posted! I understand your emotions Sheryl. I am a wreck over it. One minute I am so ready to do this, the next I am scrambling to find a way to up my supply. I am just not sure. I am suffering from decreased supply, and Jacoby hates that! He wants more milk! I think he's starting to love the bottle since it's easy!
Well, keep me posted! Will be thinking of you and your lil guy!
Janet

Jace Clayton 6.29.11
Jacoby Joseph 7.6.09

December 22nd, 2009, 01:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I feel exactly the same, i have days when i'm dying to get him on formula but then i have days when i cry at the thought of not nursing anymore!! I know once i make the switch i'll feel better, it's the initial decision and going through with it that's hard!

I bought some formula yesterday so i *may* try him today, think i'll mix it with some breastmilk at first so it's not such a drastic change to his taste buds lol. I'll keep you updated on how we do

x

December 22nd, 2009, 07:36 AM
*Fiona*
Hello Janet, and welcome to the board!

Apologies for the delayed reply - I have been snowed in at my parents until this morning... finally got home this afternoon!!!

Nice to *meet* you I just replied to Shez's post and literally will say the same to you... I'm going to be lazy and copy/paste some of it!

How I did it was I made Kirsty's bottle part BM, part formula, and gradually cut down the amount of BM and increased the formula. I was lucky enough to do it over 3 days... day 1 being 2oz formula/3oz BM, and by day 3 it was 100% formula.

My plan was to drop 1 feed per week, switching that feed to bottle. However, Kirsty had different plans and weaned completely off the breast overnight. She wasn't taking much milk from the breast at the time as she was so distracted, so it was easier for me to switch.

I understand the mixed feelings about weaning - TBH I was more than ready, and in hindsight, Kirsty was too... however, despite being ready, I did struggle with the thought of never putting my baby to my breast again. I guess you have to trust your instincts and either cut down to what you feel is ok for you both - perhaps nursing morning/evening - or weaning completely. It all depends what you feel ready for. It is a tough decision.

Please KUP on the progress!!!
December 22nd, 2009, 07:56 AM
Snowpeas
It definitely depends on how you want to do it. You can still choose to nurse once or twice a day or you can wean completely to the bottle.

Fiona had some good advice. Good luck, I understand the mixed feelings.
December 24th, 2009, 06:05 AM
Veteran
well, I have had some good days pumping at work and that makes me want to keep going. Then yesterday was SUPER stressful and I only pumped 4 oz all day!
I have been dropping the last nursing of the day. I have been giving him a 4 oz formula. He takes it JUST fine! I figure it assures he gets a full tummy for bed time.
I then have been pumping at 9pm, then off to bed and we nurse during the night. I just don't know. I am half ready! I need to move him into his crib tomorrow. He LITERALLY doesn't fit in his bassinet. Head and feet touch the sides! So, I think I will do better with only a few drastic changes this week. I will cont the last feeding as a bottle of formula. After I get him settled into a crib and I can say it's offical, he's six mo old (1.6.10) I know I can feel better.
THANKS for the encouragement. This is so hard. I never would have guessed.

Jace Clayton 6.29.11
Jacoby Joseph 7.6.09

December 24th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Snowpeas
((Hugs)) You're doing great.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search