Bottles: how many & how much?

Forum: Weaning

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Weaning LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 29th, 2009, 05:30 AM
*Fiona*
How many bottles per day does your LO have and how many oz in each bottle?
January 24th, 2010, 09:51 AM
*Fiona*
*bump*

Kirsty still has milk 3 times per day:
7am: 6oz cow's milk in a cup
1pm: 3oz cow's milk in a bottle
7pm: 9oz formula in a bottle
January 24th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Haltia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Haltia Send a message via MSN to Haltia
Karl has Three a day

4-5oz for breakfast
6-9oz with Tea
9oz for bed
January 26th, 2010, 08:40 AM
myfavoriteshoes's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Skype™ to myfavoriteshoes
8am: 8oz
1pm: 6oz
6pm: 7oz

January 27th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Lauren S's Avatar Mom to Brady and Hannah
This is roughly how our day goes. He gets 4 oz at each of these times.

8am
10am
1pm
4pm
7:30pm
11:30pm
4am
February 27th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Mars's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
6:30AM - 6oz
8- 9AM - 5oz with breakfast
2 - 3PM - 5oz
7PM - 6oz

Thank you Helen for my beautiful siggy!
March 9th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Haltia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Haltia Send a message via MSN to Haltia
4-5oz with breakfast
9oz before bed

he's growing so fast!
March 9th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Veteran
Mine goes through 5 x 9oz bottles a day, and will usually leave a few ounces, so around 42oz.
That sounds alot.

9oz first thing
9oz mid morning
Then her food
Then 9oz at 3,5 and 7pm.

I'm hoping to drop a bottle very soon and add in 2 meals of food.
March 11th, 2010, 11:19 AM
*Fiona*
how is she doing with eating food? Is she enjoying it?
March 11th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Veteran
Well before she cut teeth I would say she was very enthusastic about food and was having more than she is now. Infact miilk was the bit I was struggling with. Now with 2 teeth and I am sure another on the way she has been all for the milk, but I read another post last night about the dangers of too much milk and not enough food for the iron so today went:

7oz
7oz
Then she had a lot of finger food (banana, bread and butter and courgette and cheese) and fish pie followed by a fromage frais and banana puree, then another 7oz bottle
Then she had pear, peas and broccoli and another 7oz bottle
Then another 7oz bottle before bed,
so got her to 2 meals and 35oz in a day!

Over the next couple of weeks will try and make that second meal bigger and work on dropping a couple of bottles to 6oz ones instead.

The problem I have is she isn't consistent and isnt and never was a greedy baby. There are other things to do as far as she is concerned (she doesnt take after me there haha!)

Ih I might also get her some vitamin drops next week as I keep getting vouchers for them and never thought to get them.
March 12th, 2010, 10:15 AM
*Fiona*
That's a fantastic start!!! If it was me, I wouldn't increase the milk again. If she's hungry she will take the food. If she appears hungry in between meals you could offer fruit as snacks or any other baby things you use. Try to keep going forward and not stepping back.

You've made a huge step though! Let me know how tmor goes!
March 14th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Veteran
Hi Just thought I'd update about what a difference a couple of days has made. Right, i think it goes to show I was definitly giving her too much milk before and at the wrong times.

My old routine was a bottle early am then again mid morning (11 ish) then I would offer food --- NOW she gets her am bottle (8amish and then gets food at around 11, then she gets her bottle after it. Just by swapping that around she is eating quite a lot now to what she was.
Then she has a bottle then a bit later another meal which I start between 4 and 5pm , which she doesnt eat as much of as she does her lunch.

So i have gone from 5 x 9oz bottles to 5 x 7oz bottles and she is leaving an ounce in a few! So got it down from 45oz to between 32 and 35oz.
She has never finished a whole tube of food before till today, and she had 3/4 of a stage 2 jar - all of a desert pot with added purree in plus finger food. She can down half a banana at a sitting!

It's been my fault she wasn't able to eat as much food as she was supposed to for her age, but I think we're on the right track now.

I'm thinking about when it will be best to add in a food breakfast. My problem there is I am not at my best first thing and a bottle is easier, plus neither is my daughter! - we're both not morning people! Plus i have tried her several times on baby cereal and she just doesnt like it. so bought weetabix and she gagged, so unsure what to do for breakfasts, maybe in a month or so she will like it.
March 15th, 2010, 02:04 AM
*Fiona*
It';s not your fault hunni, sometimes we all need a little guidance from somewhere, or even just to guide ourselves. It's all about learning. You're doing just fine! That's a brilliant step! Does she enjoy the foods? Sounds like she's doing great! Well done!
March 15th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Veteran
Thanks, I am learning as I go along! Yeh she likes most of what I give her except she isnt fussed on chicken dishes, bacon, sausage or mango. She did like fish pie the other day but today wasnt having any of it (rolls eyes!).

I'm going to have to organise her tea time meal better. She has a bottle at 3pm, 5pm and 7pm and I've started her food at 4pm but she isnt too hungry. That 3pm bottle needs to be somewhere else.
I don't think there is enough time in the day!!

I wonder if I can get her to 4 bottles but say 8oz ones soon.
Or stick with stage 2 milk. I've used that some days but I think it upsets her stomach so I always end up back with the stage 1.

How do your days go with milk and food now yours is over a year?
March 16th, 2010, 11:30 AM
*Fiona*
I would try and cut down to 4 bottles, even if they are fuller. When on 3 solids meals per day, a baby should have approx 1 pint of milk (20oz).

Is she on 2 naps per day? If so, what I did was:
breakfast: bottle & solids
bottle before morning nap
Lunch: solids/water
bottle before afternoon nap
Dinner: solids/water
bottle before bed

From the above, I started cutting back the daytime bottles. When she transitioned to 1 nap per day I took 1 bottle away and used the daytime bottle before sleep.

Kirsty at a year is:
7:30am Breakfast: 7-9oz milk and cheerios or toast
9:30ish: fruit snack
11:30am Lunch: solids & water (usually bread with a filling plus a small yogurt, and fruit if she is extra hungry!)
12noon: nap for 1.5-2.5hrs
upon waking: fruit snack
4:30pm: solids & water (she eats the same dinners as us now, followed by fruit)
7pm: 9oz milk at bedtime
March 16th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Veteran
She isnt realy much of a napper. She might have one for an hour but rarely 2 naps.

We had a bad night last night so today was a bit up in the air.
She woke up when I went to bed at 2am and she had 4 nappy changes (4 poops!) and one bottle from then till 8am!
If i sniffed she cried, if coughed she cried!
So tonight she only had a petite feloo and a banana sandwitch for her tea and I gave her a 9oz for bed to see if that would help her.
I'm used to her sleeping all night and so is she, we've both been grouchy today!
March 17th, 2010, 02:03 AM
*Fiona*
Sounds like she is teething badly Did you give her pain medicine when she got up at 2? It may have been enough to allow her to resettle? Poor bubby
March 17th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Veteran
No I just brought her into bed with me in the end and she played, grumbled, tried to sleep while I dozed and grumbled and played on and off LOL. She was as bright as a button this morning though so i wont have her adopted after all I think i'll keep her lol and i got an earlier night, I had 6 straight hours!!!
Her bum is very rashy at the moment though and she is grinding her teeth but I can't see any top teeth yet she could be grinding on?
Am still doing well on keeping the milk down - just got to get her to eat more at tea but I dont want to rush it for her.
March 18th, 2010, 03:59 AM
*Fiona*
Deffo sounds like teething. Kirsty has a bit of nappy rash right now, she's had it off & on for a few weeks now, and has only ever had it once before which was related to teething. I'm sure she's getting her first molar

Would you be willing to try pain medicine like Calpol or similar? It may help her if you try to reduce her pain, bless her
March 18th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Veteran
Yeh, she only had this particular rash too when she was teething before, it looks burnt poor thing. I just put extra sudocrem on and have moved up to size 5 nappies. So hopefully it'll soon go.

I only use calpol when it's really needed. She's only had it twice before. She's not so much in pain as for some reason sleeping very light and i think its the getting disturbed more than anything that's making her a bit more grumbly. If she got really bad I would give her some but as a rule with medications I keep for emergencies.

Anyway don't let me get het up about the milk and food anymore as she is doing better than I thought on her height and weight. She's put 3lb on since 9th February, I might have to watch I'm not over feeding her!! It's all the bananas she's putting away and the bread!!

« Teeth | Weaning | Easter »
Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search