We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to email@example.com.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
I found out today that I have to wean right away. I have shingles and had to start medication for it that is not safe for breastfeeding. I'm happy we made it 5.5 months breastfeeding, but I'm also really sad that we have to stop.
I have other health issues and tried to wean about a month ago so I could take some other medications. I started giving straight formula bottles. He took 2 bottles and then decided he wanted nothing to do with them. He would gag himself when the formula would drip in his mouth! Because of that I gave in and decided not to take the medicine and to keep BF.
But now I really have no choice. I took the first pill tonight after I nursed him to sleep. I have about 20 bottles of BM frozen. My question is whether or not I should give him those 20 bottles of BM first so he gets used to taking the bottle. Or should I start mixing some BM and some formula right away?
I know the next few days are going to be really tough since I already tried this, and he was not happy. But hopefully we'll get through without too much trauma!
I have a couple of cans of Enfamil formula from the ped. I was planning on using that unless anyone has a suggestion on another brand that would make the switch easier.
Sorry this was so long! Thanks to anyone who reads and responds.
I'm sorry you have to wean so suddenly. I understand the engorgement. I weaned Kirsty at 6.5 months. My plan was to drop 1 feed per week, but she weaned overnight. I was engorged for about 2 days, then it eased, then I re-engorged for a further few days. In all about a week. My advice is to wear a tight bra... even in bed.
I think you have done the right thing in using part BM/part formula. If he is fine with taking full formula, that's great!! But you still want to use up the BM, right? How do you plan to do it? 1 bottle BM per day? Or mixed formula/BM in his bottles?