How much is too much??

Forum: Weaning

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Weaning LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 19th, 2010, 02:57 AM
sallylou's Avatar Veteran
I have successfully transitioned from breast to bottle and am feeling very happy about it. However, I was chatting to my mum yesterday about his daily routine-
6am- 8oz
10am- cereal and about 5oz (i make 8oz and he eats what he wants)
1:30pm- 8oz-ish
4:30pm- tea and about 5oz
7:30pm- 8oz-ish
9:30pm- 8oz nightime milk (I always make 8oz and he just eats what he eats- he only ever finishes the whole bottle at 6am and 9:30pm)

My mum said this is too much milk and I should replace the middle milk with another meal and some juice. So have done this for two days and both nights he has been very restless by about 3am.

He's a very big lad- 21lb- but its all length, he's wearing 9-12month clothes and he's not quite 6months!! He's not tubby- he's long and thin! This is alot of the problem- he's still young- he's interested in food but not for long and I don't think he eats enough to fill him up! Mum says he won't eat alot because he's having so much milk so I'm confused!!

So my question is should I continue with the 3rd meal or go back to the old way?

Am I feeding him too much and stoppng want an extra feed??

It's soooo confusing!! Please help, any advice would be great!

February 27th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Mars's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Your mom's right. It's not so much that you're feeding him too much but the milk will fill him up and cause him to eat less.

There's also a recommendation that the maximum daily milk allowance should be 24oz as too much milk can cause anemia. The recommendation is that somewhere between 18 - 24oz is good enough.

I would continue with the cutting out of some of the mid-day feedings and introducing a meal or snack and water or juice. I'm not a fan of juice so young but that's my personal preference. If you can get the all natural juices that's great but diluted juices are supposed to be ok.

My daughter gets 4 milk feedings a day and I'm currently working on cutting that back to 3. She has 6oz around 6:30AM (waking); 5oz with breakfast (8 - 9AM); 5oz in the afternoon (2 - 3PM) and 6oz in the evening (7PM. Her bedtime is around 8PM). I'm hoping to have her daily intake around 20oz and she'll get anything additional from cheeses, etc.

Good luck. I don't know if someone can offer more about the actual feedings but this is what I've found out about the milk consumption.

Thank you Helen for my beautiful siggy!
February 28th, 2010, 01:38 AM
*Fiona*
I agree with your mom and Mari, the more milk he eats, the less space for solids. And whilst milk is their main source of food/nutrition until 1 year, also what Mari said about the recomendation being between 18-24oz per day.

If it was me, and all mums are different so you have to do what is best for you, I would cut back the 1.30pm bottle and offer solids after it, or offer solids first, then see how much milk he wants after.
March 3rd, 2010, 09:25 AM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Kind of lurking.. I'm not on this board much anymore, my LO keeps me busy busy!

I think my opinion is based a little more on an older child because my son is just barely under a year old, but I agree with the idea of offering more solids. You do't have to take it to an extreme, but you can offer a little bit before the bottle.

My son's schedule around that age was:

Wake up (usually around 7am): Take a bottle, about 6 ounces (nothing wrong with more ounces, that's just what he took).

Mid to late morning: Baby food- a puree of some kind with cereal mixed in, he was always into thicker foods. You dont have to mix them of course. Usually offered 2 ounces of formula in a sippy.

Early Afternoon: another bottle, about 6 ounces

Late afternoon: Same as late morning meal only I would usually offer 4 ounces of formula at this one. He seemed to want it at this point so if he couldn't get it from the sippy I would transfer it into a bottle and give it to him.

Mine and DH's dinner time- we did baby led weaning in conjunction with purees so we would give him some kind of snack at this point and some water.

Before bed: 6-8 oz bottle.

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search