when do they begin to night wean?

Forum: Weaning

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Weaning LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 31st, 2010, 02:05 PM
wclark602002's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i got scared last week because i thought DD was starting to self wean but i guess she was just in a funk but even then she was only not wanting to eat during the day,but at night she was still the same if not more.and she is usually eating every 2 hours at night (this week anyhow) will she stop this or will it continue?shes not just comfort nursing shes gulpin like a starvin maniac so i hate to stop her if she needs it but i would sooo looove some sleep.shes not big on solids,some days she eats great then she may not take a bite for 2 weeks.any help greatly appreciated.

Virtapay, alternative to paypal...its FREE!!!
http://www.virtapay.com/r/wclark602002
April 1st, 2010, 02:50 AM
*Fiona*
Sounds quite like a growth spurt altho they usually occur at around 9 months and 12 months... it can be earlier/later.

If I was in your shoes, I would try to increase her solids intake. Sounds like she needs more food in the day to see her through the night.

Do you still spoon feed her? What consistency do you make her foods or is she on finger foods? I found DD ate sooo much better when I simply gave her what we were eating and chopped it into manageable sizes for her. She then self-fed using her hands, but ate so much more and was happier feeding herself.

You could try that if you're not already doing so? If you are already doing this... try cutting her food differently? Like, if you cut it into chunks, try cutting it into sticks (easy with veggies and potatoes), try adding lots of colours on her plate - carrots, parsnip, peas, etc. Pasta is an easy food to get them eating, and there's so many different sauces you can put through pasta dishes.
April 1st, 2010, 09:04 AM
on days that she will eat she usually eats what we eat.the only things she will actually handle herself are dry things(cheerios,crackers,etc..)anything with any moisture,stickyness,softness anything at all she will not hold she pulls her hands away like shes afraid of getting dirty...lol...shes a really good eater "when" SHE wants to eat.if she wont have what we're havin then ill try purees its just hit-or-miss with her.i only wished we had some sort of consistency,i guess shell do it when shes readythanks,i will try cutting things different though

April 1st, 2010, 01:49 PM
*Fiona*
Perhaps try to just stick with finger foods, if she doesn't eat what you're having, try fruit afterwards - does she eat fruit? Maybe the flip-flopping between finger foods & purees is confusing her, or almost like "giving in" so she has *something* inside her. If she's hungry, she will eat. I'm not trying to sound cruel, just wonder if going back & forth is deterring her?

A tip for helping them be able to pick up slippery foods is to crush some cheerios, then coat the fruit/food in the cheerio dust, it gives them something a bit more textured to pick up.
April 3rd, 2010, 07:08 PM
i will try the crushed up cheerios,pretty neat idea. we did try ground flax seed to coat things like bananas and avacado but still a no-go..shes just her own little person..lol..and you werent being cruel at all i do give in and try to find anyting she will eat because im so afraid that breastmilk just isnt enough anymore,i make plenty and she would be fine with having nothing but BM, i just assumed she would need more now that shes older and more active.thanks for all your help.

April 5th, 2010, 10:03 AM
*Fiona*
I know what you mean. If it was me in your shoes, I'd try to encourage more food intake. Try not to BF her too close to mealtimes, in the hope that she might eat more solids. BF after solids meals, even if she doesn't eat much, if you can get solids then BF, she might eat more.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search