Weaning from overnights (x posted)

Forum: Weaning

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Weaning LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 20th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi, I'm Krysta and I am still BF my son who is almost 14 months old. Right now he nurses first thing in the morning, 10 am (pump while I am at work) and bedtime, plus anywhere between 1 and 3 times overnight. Whenever he wakes up overnight I nurse him. He usually doesn't eat for very long, I think it is mostly for comfort. I just thought by this age he would be sleeping through the night on his own, but now I am feeling like I am going to have to "force" him to sleep through by not nursing him anymore overnight. He never has taken a paci and will just stand in his crib and cry until I pick him up and rock him in the chair and nurse him.

Any advice on what I can do? Do I just have to, gulp, let him CIO? Also, I nurse him to sleep at night, should I let him CIO then as well so he doesn't get confused?

I am so confused any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by FireflyMommy; April 20th, 2010 at 10:16 AM.
April 27th, 2010, 02:01 AM
*Fiona*
Firstly, you don't have to use CIO unless it is the form you wish to use. There are more gentle methods on how to help baby to sleep through, Gut instinct is telling me he isn't sure how to re-settle when he wakes - let's face it we all wake up a little during the night and re-settle ourselves, we just need to help teach the babies how to do so as well.

The method I used when Kirsty was around 10months old was a mixture of the Baby Whisperer's Pick Up/Put Down and a little controlled crying. When I say CC, I mean we would go in and reassure Kirsty (without picking up as much as possible), that it was ok and to go back to sleep, then leave the room for 2 minutes, then go back in, leave for 3mins, go back in, leave for 4mins, go back in, and each time thereafter leave for 5mins (you can increase to however long you feel comfortable).

The idea is to give the reassurance but not "reward" the waking by picking up, offering cuddles, milks etc... baby will realise that it's not "worth" crying, KWIM?

If like Kirsty, your baby gets very upset, very quickly and you're not comfortable with the CC, try the Pick Up/Put Down (PU/PD)... you go in, pick baby up but don't speak, if you really must, use only shhh. Hold baby until he calms down, lay him down, when he's upset, PU/PD, and repeat until he falls asleep. With this method you don't leave the room. You can adapt it though. I used both PU/PD and leaving for increased mins up til 5mins per time. (Hope that makes sense!)

Basically, you can use any method or combo of methods you wish to, as long as you feel comfortable and your baby is not in pain or sick. You can adapt any method to suit your comfort zone. I.e. some mums are ok with complete CIO, others might do CIO for 10min intervals, others might not use it at all.

How much solids is he eating per day? Is he on 3 meals? Would he take more each sitting if offered? What does he eat for his dinner and what time? And what time does he go to bed at night?
May 17th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the ideas!

Lucas is an ok eater at best. He eats breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but does't eat as much as I think he should. He has always been a terrible eater, never really liked solids at all. He hated babyfood, everyone, pedi included, told me that was ok, he would probably go right to table foods. However, he never likes these either. at his 12 month visit the pedi said just give it time, he will get better, cut out some nursing and he will turn to food more. So I have cut back on nursing, which I wanted to do anyway, but hadn't because it made me feel good to know he was getting SOME nutrition. Anyway, its not a texture problem because he eats crackers, gerber snacks, cheerios. Basically everyday he has a pancake, yogurt (the kind w/fruit and veggie in it) and I add oatmeal to it, and mushed up macaroni and cheese. Everyday. And then his crackers etc. I think he should be eating more than that but don't know what else to do. I offer him different foods all the time and he just refuses to let me put them in his mouth, and won't pick them up and do it himself either. I am at a loss. Weight wise he is chunky and right around 60%, so everyone thinks I am crazy. Tells me he'll eat when he is ready, blah, blah, blah. He even only eats 4 or five spoons of Ice cream or pudding. I don't get it. He drinks milk and oj from a straw sippy during the day, never has taken a bottle. I know he drinks enough, and I also dont think he is drinking too much. I start rocking him for bed at 8pm, after bath. It takes anywhere from 15 to an hour for him to fall asleep, and it is always at the breast. Sorry this is so long and rambling and packed with info, but I am trying to give you as much as I can-I am desperately seeking any help I can get!

Thank you!
May 17th, 2010, 12:28 PM
kristi714's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Your situation sounds almost IDENTICAL to what i JUST went through. I just weaned my daughter a week ago and she is 15 months old. I have been "trying" to wean since she turned one but she was nursing at night for comfort. Well, I had a few medical issues and had to have a CT scan and my tech suggested not to BF for 48 hours after so I saw this as my sign for my time to quit... why put her through going 2 nights without it anyways any then give it back to only be taken away shortly after again. Knowing that I could not feed her was the push I needed to do it or else I probably would have breastfed forever.
What we did was I had my husband get up with her and I am not gonna lie, the first 2 or 3 nights he pretty much had to hold her and sleep with her on the couch to keep her asleep, cause she was NOT happy that she didn't get the boob. And I do NOT believe in CIO-ing either so he just held her and held her until she finally stopped waking up looking for boob and then we went back to our normal bedtime routine. A little over a week later my milk is finally almost dried up.
Like your son, my daughter drinks from the straw sippy's. She has increased significantly in her cows milk/water and food intake since weaning. The first day or 2 she was just kind of fussy about the situation and very clingy which was fine. I just held her and carried her and loved on her extra so she wasn't scared of what was happening because I totally understand it has to be scary for them. I wanted it to be as pleasant as possible. We were already down to night only nursing but man oh man toddlers must drink fast because what I thought was just drinking a little, my boobs sure didn't. They weren't feeling so great for a while!

Good Luck & PM me if you have any questions!

May 21st, 2010, 09:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for sharing! I am def ready to get him off the overnight feedings, but I am still so worried that he is not a good eater. I just don't know what to do to get him to eat different foods than the yogurt and mac and cheese. He won't even let me get anything else in his mouth to try it! Any suggestions?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search