New here and needing some direction!

Forum: Weaning

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Weaning LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 11th, 2010, 06:05 PM
bre4thewin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bre4thewin
Hi mamas! Im Bre mama to Charlie 17 months. I preggo again, and BF has all of a sudden started to hurt! Its driving me nuts! My original plan before getting pregnant was to let her self wean, and just kinda see what happens...start refusing during the day..etc. Now that im preggo i want to be more aggressive with it. I would like some "not BF" time before i start in with another! DD is a booby girl! She prob nurses 3-4 times during the day...maybe more or less...and who knows at night. We co-sleep and sometimes (especially with teething) its seems like she is looking for the boob all night. at night its just comfort nursing. she goes back to sleep as soon as she finds it. I would like to start transitioning to her own bed as well, and i have a feeling that will be the only way to wean her at night as well. if im there...she will find the boob. she sits up..pulls down my shirt and nurses. sigh. where do i begin?????? We just moved across the country and i was waiting until things get settled down to start in..

Thank you Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my gorgeous siggie!

May 16th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hello. Congrats on the new pregnancy! The way you describe you DD is exactly the way my son was. I thought I was never going to get him away from it. He was 18 months at the time, He always wanted to nurse, and also co slept with us and would do the same thing throughout the night, latch on and comfort nurse. I talked to his doctor and he gave me a suggestion, I was a bit skeptical and first and thought it seemed a little mean, but I have to say it worked and he has no lasting effect from it. lol He is now almost 6 years old.

The doc told me to get some kind of mild hot sauce, or something that taste really sour even and put a little on my nipple, you could even try putting something on your nipple, that you know your baby doesn't like to eat. This way when baby latches on it taste horrible and they decide they dont want it. I always had a cup of water of milk handy to give after he quickly pulled away. the first couple of days was difficult cause he would cry a little about it, out of frustration. The point of it is to make them not want it cause it taste bad, that way the child is giving it up, you are not taking it away from them.

It took a total of about 4 days to get him to give it up. I then went for close to a week and didn't give it to him at all, and he didn't ask for it either. He still was co sleeping for the most part, but he starting sleeping all night, and on the bichance he would wake up fussing I would give him a sippy cup with water, and this helped.

After about a week I started getting encorged a bit, from him stopping, so I offered it to him at night, if he happened to wake up. Then maybe once during the day when he went down for a nap. I did this for maybe a week, then I just stopped giving it to him altogether, and there was no fight whatsoever.

So there is what I did, and it worked like a charm. Oh and about a month later I started putting him in his own bed, and he started sleeping there on is own. when I put him down for a nap or at night, I would sit next to him till he fell asleep. I kept his bed in our room for a while so he knew I was right there still. He slept all night for the most part, every now and again he would wake up and want to get into bed with me, but not every night. He now sleeps in his own room with no issues.

Thank you Kara for my gorgeous siggy!

Dylan Vai Moses born October 26th @ 3:40 pm
9 lbs 22 inches
May 17th, 2010, 12:58 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't have much for weaning advice as my son is in the process of being mostly self weaned now & he's three...BUT I wanted to say that you could x-post this in breastfeeding past a year & probably get a few replies there too. GL & congrats on the new baby!

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search