Dare Day 1: Care to Read

Forum: 2004 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2004 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 17th, 2010, 06:43 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
The first challenge is all about reading. You're going to start by adding more reading to your day. It depends on your child's age how you will go about this, but if reading is not a part of your daily routine with your child all you need to do is make it a part of today's routine. If it is already part of your routine, bump it up a little. It doesn't matter how you add to it, rather it be reading another book, or having them read you another book, but it must be something you do together, if they already read well you can both read the same thing and discuss it, but do something with reading.

If you have more than one child and normally only one picks the book you read together, maybe let both of your kids pick a book so that whoever you're focusing your Care Dare experience on knows that this book was done especially for them and you.

There is a big push right now to get people to read to their kids for 20 minutes a day, you may see it on Nick Jr., or hear it elsewhere, but so many of us have a hard time finding 20 minutes to do this (here's a resource talking about just that: http://www.thencbla.org/PTMpages/par...dtomykids.html). Maybe today will be the day you make 20 minutes if you already read to them a lot, if you don't maybe today will be the day you read them a small children's book. Maybe if they're older all you'll do is read their homework together, but today make reading with your child an actual priority, and let them know it too.

Share with us your thoughts on completing the first dare!

April 18th, 2010, 05:45 AM
mommy2tns's Avatar real & spectacular.
Send a message via MSN to mommy2tns
Some days I wish I could cut Timmy's reading DOWN to 20 minutes a day! He loves to read. We've been reading to him since he was just a few months old and we love to read together, but some days I'm so tired of reading McDuff 30 times ina row!

Thank you so much *Kiliki* for another amazing siggy!
April 18th, 2010, 06:31 AM
~Katie~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This is a good one, with 5 children it's hard to find the time to get reading in. Going to do this when it's bedtime!
April 18th, 2010, 07:57 AM
SarahLoo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to SarahLoo Send a message via Yahoo to SarahLoo
So funny that this is today's. Sadly our bedtime reading had been pushed to the side since Daddy left and the new baby came. Last night I made sure we sat down to read bedtime stories and will be making sure it is a top priority at bedtime from now on. I could tell they had really missed that time.

Sarah - mama to Madison (7.20.05), Brennen (10.5.07), and Jackson (2.23.10)

April 18th, 2010, 11:04 AM
SAHM and scrappymommy
This first Dare is awesome!! First it made me decide who I would do the dare with. I decided to go with my son Logan. He will be starting Junior Kindergarten in September and I would really like to focus more attention on him and do more activities with him. He is a bit stubborn and can have a hard time focusing on things.

We already read a bedtime story to him at night but I am going to read more to him during the day as well when his sister is at school. As well at night time after I read to him he likes to "read" the story to me. He looks at the pictures and tells me what he thinks is going on.

We have always been big on reading. I love to read to my kids. I fully believe that because of that our daughter has been reading at a Grade 3 level since the age of 5.
April 18th, 2010, 12:38 PM
AnnaBananasMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Easy one here! The kids love being read to. I already read to each of them on a one-on-one basis at least twice a day, but it won't be hard to fit in an extra book.

Video Montage of Anna's First Year
April 18th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Liza* View Post
Some days I wish I could cut Timmy's reading DOWN to 20 minutes a day! He loves to read. We've been reading to him since he was just a few months old and we love to read together, but some days I'm so tired of reading McDuff 30 times ina row!
I'm jealous! Where do you find the time, motivation, etc? I always want to, and then I guess it gets sucked into things like...JM...

I try to read to Courtney every day, but I know I never make 20 minutes, the goal is to do it today.

April 18th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't had time to read to them each day, but I just did it now. Only the oldest was really interested, but they were all in front of me listening We read three board books, great dare for us!
April 18th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ILoveMyMayBaby Send a message via Yahoo to ILoveMyMayBaby
Me and Lexus will usually read 1 book a day together, but tonight, I think I am gonna squeeze in 2 more. Love this dare!!

April 18th, 2010, 05:10 PM
SillyMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to SillyMama
This is an easy one for us, because the older girls read 20 minutes a night as part of their homework for school and Abbi always wants to read with them so we all sit together and read every night! Katie and Makinna read on their own but love telling me what they just read about so I can get involved with them each story and it helps them remember since they get to discuss it.

April 18th, 2010, 06:13 PM
mommy2tns's Avatar real & spectacular.
Send a message via MSN to mommy2tns
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJD3Tdance View Post
I'm jealous! Where do you find the time, motivation, etc? I always want to, and then I guess it gets sucked into things like...JM...

I try to read to Courtney every day, but I know I never make 20 minutes, the goal is to do it today.
since he's my oldest, when his sister is down for an occasional nap we take that time to do quiet things together - i let him pick some books (he loves any books with dogs and any books with cars or diggers lol) and we read them together. he's really getting into dr suess lately too. he loves green eggs and ham, mr brown can moo, and hop on pop. when he was about 10 months old he really started getting into reading and would crawl around the living room picking up books and bring them to me to read. it started with Five Ugly Monsters (five silly monkeys) and he went on from there. i'm really proud that he loves to read but gosh some of the books get soooooo boring to keep reading to him!! for special treat for him learning to sleep in his big boy bed and letting natalie sleep in his crib i am going to take him to the library to pick out some books.

Thank you so much *Kiliki* for another amazing siggy!
April 18th, 2010, 06:14 PM
crystalclear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to crystalclear
GREAT dare! We're all big into books in this house, so the more reading we can fit into a day, the better! We took our books outside today and read on a blanket in the sun. It was great, and the four year old Loved it. It may become a daily thing for us on good weather days. Maybe we'll fit in some 'fort' reading on rainy days, too.

April 18th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Dakotas_mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Dakotas_mom Send a message via Yahoo to Dakotas_mom Send a message via Skype™ to Dakotas_mom
I tried to read to Dakota right before bedtime, but after about 5 minutes he just wanted to turn the pages. Gotta love 10 month olds

April 18th, 2010, 07:41 PM
lovemyboysandabbey2's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lovemyboysandabbey2 Send a message via Yahoo to lovemyboysandabbey2
awesome dare!!!!
I feel like such an awful mom, I never read to my kids. I am home alone every night alone with 4 kids and always running the older ones around i feel like I just don't have the time to do it.
From now on I am going to MAKE time to get a book in, even if it's to read to all 4 of them at once.

April 18th, 2010, 08:40 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
Kaija has her favorite book, "Silly Monsters", that we read before nap and bedtime. It's the best $1 we ever spent Today I made a point to read a few others with her though. She's also at a point where she can "read" to us her favorite books. She knows her potty training book by heart, if only she'd do what it says!
April 18th, 2010, 08:47 PM
ChasingClio's Avatar Super Mommy
Great dare! Reading has gotten to be SO hard with them all on different levels and wanting to read different books - or in Sam's case, just take them and throw them around a bit. Unfortunately I'll be starting a bit late, I think, with my oral exams coming up on Wednesday... but I will catch up and work really hard to make reading more each day a habit like it used to be.
April 18th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Liza* View Post
since he's my oldest, when his sister is down for an occasional nap we take that time to do quiet things together - i let him pick some books (he loves any books with dogs and any books with cars or diggers lol) and we read them together. he's really getting into dr suess lately too. he loves green eggs and ham, mr brown can moo, and hop on pop. when he was about 10 months old he really started getting into reading and would crawl around the living room picking up books and bring them to me to read. it started with Five Ugly Monsters (five silly monkeys) and he went on from there. i'm really proud that he loves to read but gosh some of the books get soooooo boring to keep reading to him!! for special treat for him learning to sleep in his big boy bed and letting natalie sleep in his crib i am going to take him to the library to pick out some books.
The nap thing sadly won't work for me, well it would on weekends, but nap is while I'm at work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotas_mom View Post
I tried to read to Dakota right before bedtime, but after about 5 minutes he just wanted to turn the pages. Gotta love 10 month olds
haha trying is something, I find that I read to the other two kids cuz they ask me too, but my 1 year old can't do that yet, so he gets overlooked sometimes.

April 18th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasingClio View Post
Great dare! Reading has gotten to be SO hard with them all on different levels and wanting to read different books - or in Sam's case, just take them and throw them around a bit. Unfortunately I'll be starting a bit late, I think, with my oral exams coming up on Wednesday... but I will catch up and work really hard to make reading more each day a habit like it used to be.
GL on the exams on Wednesday!!!

April 18th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Evenblindly's Avatar lost 28lbs in 90 days!
Send a message via Yahoo to Evenblindly
This was great! Since the baby we have already not been reading as much as we used to. SInce school and going back to work I think I've read one book in two weeks! I often feel bad about it when I am reading to the kids at school, like they get so much more from me than my own kids but today we read two books. and I read one book they each got to pick at bed.

And I do it FREE check out more info ----->> http://jessicakopac.myvi.net/
Thank you Vicki for my AWESOME siggy!!

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/evenblindly?ref=tn_tnmn

"I will walk by faith, even when i cannot see! because this broken road prepares your will for me"
April 18th, 2010, 10:47 PM
MReel11008's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This is a great dare. One because I LOVE to read anything really. Even all the childrens books can suck me in. (I also love to write when I find time) I used to sit in Nic's room and just read books all the time while he was playing, of course that was before Landon and Alex came along. I was reading to Nic and Landon some then Alex got here and he has been such a constant hands on baby that it kinda fell through the cracks. But tonight I just put Alex in his carrier and we all sat down and read a few books. Landon wouldn't stay still long enough but he came and went to see what was going on and Nicolas is all into the pictures now so he was telling me what they were doing! I plan to make this a normal night time routine!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search