Dare 5: Caring to Shut Down

Forum: 2004 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2004 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 22nd, 2010, 06:34 AM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
This challenge is one that might be hard for us JM addicts, but it is about turning something off. Maybe it is the TV, maybe it is the computer. There is something in your life that you can turn off and spend time with your child without it.

I for one know that I feel great when I make the kids turn off the TV and I go play a game with Courtney or something instead. I know some of you may not have TVs, so that one won't work, but I know you have a cell phone that you're on too much, or maybe just the thing your reading this on right now. There is something in your life you could turn off and spend more time with you kid.

Maybe it isn't a question of you have it on too much, but maybe when you turn it off you forget why. You turned it off so you could have something better for your kids than the TV, but did you actually do something for them that was better? Did you take them outside? Did you go to a park? Did you play a board game with them? Did you do their homework with them? Not did they do their homework, but did you actively sit there and be engaged in what they're doing?

Turn off whatever habit you have for a little while today. That doesn't mean I'm asking the TV addict to not watch any TV, that means if you watch a LOT of TV, maybe you could watch an hour less. Just turn it off and spend some time with your kid instead of cleaning up, this is about your kid, not about getting things done.

Share with us your thoughts about this dare!

April 22nd, 2010, 01:42 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
This is a good one for us. I have a hard time "disconnecting" sometimes and I fear it's passing on to Kaija sometimes. In the past few days she's been insisting on watching "my TV shows." She's 2 and that's not okay I don't think. I know I perpetuated the problem while pregnant. I was too tired and huge to do anything but lay on the couch and doze while she watched tv. Not such a good mommy few months there. But now that Kolbie is here I feel great. We go outside for at least an hour every day. In fact, it's about time to disconnect now and go play
April 22nd, 2010, 02:10 PM
mousemomof3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to mousemomof3
We spend the past few days outside so did not spend any time on the computer or watching TV. They all enjoyed their time playing together on our play structure and sand box. As Christen knows I spend lotsof time making sure my playrooms and other rooms are looked after so it was hard peeling away from the comp. We even did a picnic this week.

April 24th, 2010, 10:28 PM
I dedicated my JM time to Courtney instead of to JM, I'm paying for it now with how much I have to catch up on, but she's in bed now, so it isn't hurting her, lol.

April 25th, 2010, 06:46 PM
MReel11008's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow ladies.. I'm way way behind on posting here but I have been super busy with my youngest who has had a horrible rash. Yesterday though we did go without computer and tv's when normally we would have had them on. Got some family photos taken and just all of us spent time together so I suppose that counts! This is something that I know I need to work on more and this is a great way to get me to do it!

April 25th, 2010, 09:58 PM
I'm running the thing and I'm behind too, I actually haven't done dare 7, so I'm behind...

February 3rd, 2011, 09:12 AM
Happy Mommy
I've done this for the last few weeks at home... I've stayed off the computer at home, and the girls love it. granted taht means we are watching TV together but it's still us together.
May 9th, 2011, 11:40 PM
I'm having a hard time getting Rock to participate in dare 2, let me know where you ladies are though so I can keep these up to date.

June 6th, 2011, 09:32 PM
I did dare 5 the other day and took the kids out to play the place we went to go play at was closed though and the place we ended up at was kind of technology oriented sadly.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search