Dare 8: Caring to Clean Up

Forum: 2004 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2004 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 24th, 2010, 10:58 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Sometimes caring is just teaching the kids good habits. Sometimes caring can just be doing those things you put off. Today's dare is about tidying up.

Today is the day you're going to go through their drawers and quit clinging to those things that don't work for them anymore. Or maybe today is the dare you have them go through their things, toys, clothes, whatever and give something away to charity. Maybe you haven't cleaned under their bed in a while, today's the day.

This isn't about cleaning. This isn't something you do while they're off playing. This is something you do together, and you need to make it seem like something other than a chore. As you go through these toys or clothes or whatever it is you're cleaning out, you need to talk about where they came from, what they meant. Maybe you need to talk about why you're putting them away in storage or giving them away to charity.

Cleaning out their stuff is helpful to you, but it is helpful to them too. It helps them to live in a better more organized space. It helps them to remember the fun times they've had, maybe they lost their first tooth in a shirt that is now two sizes too small, but somehow has remained in the drawer instead of being packed away, thrown out or given away. Maybe they had a toy that you remember them loving, but they don't even remember having, but you know where you were when you bought it, so it has remained stashed in the corner for a long time. It is probably time to play with it, teach them about it, or give it up.

Even if all you do is clean their room and you don't actually make any big changes to where things are, here's some tips on how to make it more fun in general when your kids clean up with you: http://www.theconfidentmom.com/famil...-nikki-kinzer/

Share your thoughts on today's dare.

April 26th, 2010, 02:01 PM
ChasingClio's Avatar Super Mommy
Aw, this is a great dare because going through old clothes is on my to-do list and its totally something I would have done while she was entertained with something else. It's a rainy day today, too, good time to do some organizing!
April 27th, 2010, 08:49 PM
MReel11008's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We are doing this one tomorrow. We have done it before together but it is badly needed again. I hang on to things way way too long and this is a great way to get me motivated to get it done!!!

April 27th, 2010, 10:37 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
I need to get to this one too! I discovered a treasure trove of 18 month clothes in Kaija's drawers last week. She's in 3T's! Yikes!
May 20th, 2010, 01:13 AM
I've been trying to find the energy to do this one since I completed dare 7...finally today I got it done! It needed to be done for lots of reasons, I'm so proud of myself for doing it finally! On to 9...like whoa am I behind!

June 13th, 2011, 12:39 AM
Rock and I went through his drawers tonight, he just turned 4 so it was perfect timing to switch out all the too small 3T stuff.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search