Anyone into quilting?

Forum: Arts and Crafts

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Arts and Crafts LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 14th, 2008, 11:22 AM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
Hi everyone, my name is Ashley. I'm new to this board, but not new to JM.

I'm a pretty crafty person. I can knit (if I really try, I usually don't lol), crochet (I have 4 full size double queen blankets, countless baby blankets and hats and scarves under my belt), you name it I can do it, or will try it. Both my mom and my grandmother are very crafty, I get most of my talent from my Nan, who insisted I learn.

I decided a few weeks back, I'd like to learn "by hand" quilting. So yesterday I picked up two lengths of fabric, blue and white and decided to make a basic check pattern. So far so good

That was taken at about 12am last night. It is now 4x7 rows of 4x4" squares. and I have enough squares to do 7 more rows, and fabric left over.

I do have a few questions for anyone who quilts. First off, where do you get your shapes. Do you cut them by hand? I drew the squares on fabirc that was folded over and over and cut them by hand, but it's hard and takes so long. Is there are more effective way?

And does anyone have any suggestions on how to secure the thin filler I'm going to purchase (the pre rolled stuff usually used in machine quilting to the top layer. I was thinking of tacking it at the join of each of the 4 squares.

Thanks for your help ladies!
~TTC #1 together 2 years and counting ~

Awesome siggy made by Jaidynsmum
Matthew and Mark 08/24/2005 9w1d, Mattie Anne 04/07/2008 8w Mel and Dee 01/19/2010 (8 weeks) and 5 chemical pregnancies
Hope 07/22/2012@4w1d,Konnor 11/24/2012@3w6d,"Emmy"1/15/2013@ 3w6d,Ronen 02/10/2013@3w5d,Joy 07/19/2013@3w6d, "Pea" 09/06/2013@ 3w3d

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, PCOS, Insulin resistant.
150mcg Synthyroid, 500mg Metformin (aiming for 1500mg)
September 14th, 2008, 03:27 PM
tjo9's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to tjo9
Hi Ashley , Welcome to the arts and crafts board . Sorry I can't help you with the quilt I've never made one. I do crochet though so I'm glad to see another crocheter here. I know there are some sewers here so maybe thy can help you out. It looks really nice I love tuquiose.
September 14th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Thanks Tammi, the color is actually much more vibrant, when I get more done on it I will certainly try and get a more accurate color picture!

I'm not a very good crocheter, but that comes from the fact I have problems with number, I'll forget how many I've counted and have to take it out! I started blankets for my brothers in 2003, and they got them for christmas in 2007! I started them and took them out eleven times before finishing them. And when I got going in the end, each blanket took me twenty one days while working on them only at work! (I used to work for a Sprint Nextel call center)

Matthew and Mark 08/24/2005 9w1d, Mattie Anne 04/07/2008 8w Mel and Dee 01/19/2010 (8 weeks) and 5 chemical pregnancies
Hope 07/22/2012@4w1d,Konnor 11/24/2012@3w6d,"Emmy"1/15/2013@ 3w6d,Ronen 02/10/2013@3w5d,Joy 07/19/2013@3w6d, "Pea" 09/06/2013@ 3w3d

September 15th, 2008, 02:19 PM
tjo9's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to tjo9
Go you on crocheting blankets I like to make little stuff . Maybe try a stitch marker to help you to keep track of your rows or stitches. That sounds neat to be able to crochet at work. Post more pic's when you get done!!!!
September 15th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi Ashley-nice work! I am a quilter, but I don't do it by hand---I use my machine and my serger, and I machine quilt my quilts. I tried hand-tying one of my first ones, but it didn't hold out as long, but maybe I wasn't doing it right. You'll want your tack stitches no more than 4 inches apart, otherwise your batting will shift and ball up inside when it gets washed over time.

You cut your fabric on a self-healing plastic/rubber mat with a quilting ruler and a rotary cutter, here's a link for rulers

Get a 45mm rotary cutter rotary cutter link

cutting mat

Let me know if you have any further questions
Marie

Marie's five kids are now 7,5,4,4 &2!
September 16th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Quote:
Hi Ashley-nice work! I am a quilter, but I don't do it by hand---I use my machine and my serger, and I machine quilt my quilts. I tried hand-tying one of my first ones, but it didn't hold out as long, but maybe I wasn't doing it right. You'll want your tack stitches no more than 4 inches apart, otherwise your batting will shift and ball up inside when it gets washed over time.

You cut your fabric on a self-healing plastic/rubber mat with a quilting ruler and a rotary cutter, here's a link for rulers

Get a 45mm rotary cutter rotary cutter link

cutting mat

Let me know if you have any further questions
Marie[/b]
Thanks Marie!
I'd probably do it by machine if I had one. But I like to sew, it's very relaxing I find. I come home from work, do a row and then crawl in bed (I'm working nights this week). I wish I could sew or crochet at my new job, but I do two jobs in one here, so I'm always working.

tacking the filler every 4 inches will be perfect for this one, because the squares are 4x4. So I'll just tack it up through the 4 corner join and it should work out great. I'm going to pick up the material receiving blankets are made of to use for the back, so it's warm and soft for a baby.. and of course cheat and use the pre-made quilt edging and sew around the edges.

I can see why it wouldn't last as long when hand tying. I'm using a running stitch on this blanket, but when I do my next I'll be using an embroidery stitch (back stitch)to make the stitching more secure.

I will definitely grab a board and cutter, I wish I was closer to my mother, she has all of this, but we use it for scrap booking. I could probably go with out the ruler, but I will definitely price them at the fabric and craft stores on pay day.

This is my winter project. I want to have three quilts of different sizes and color made to put away for the future for myself. My roommate is going to get in on this and help me, and we are going to make 4 very small comfort quilts, and donate them to our local NICU. Two blue ones in memory of the twin boys I lost 3 years ago, One pink one in memory of the little girl I lost this year, and a pink one in memory of my friend Jennifer's daughter who was still born five years ago... I think it'll be a nice gesture, and the hospital can certainly use the donations!

September 16th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Aww, the comfort quilts are such a wonderful idea! My LO was in the NICU when he was born, and we still use his little crocheted blanket that was donated to him, he sleeps with it every night

I'm currently working on a baby boy crib quilt, a girl twin sized quilt, and a Halloween wallhanging. All three have to be ready for when I fly to visit my friend on Sept 26th to give them as gifts. The tops are all done, I just need to quilt and bind them, really shouldn't take more than two hours total, but I just need to get off the computer and do it!

Make sure you use different rotary blades for fabric than you did for paper, paper really dulls sewing blades and won't give you nice edges.

Binding with quilt fabric is really easy, you don't have to use the bought stuff. Let me know if you need a quick binding lesson

September 16th, 2008, 08:36 PM
I may take you up on that! LOL. I figure I can probably bind them no problem, just taking the easy way out with the predone stuff. But my grandmother always said "if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right. But this is the woman who embroiders and the back looks as good as the front!

Do you have a suggestion on how big a "comfort" quilt as you put it should be? I was thinking 20" x 30" not big enough to swaddle, but big enough to drape over a little one who needs just a little bit extra. I was going to put the smallest possible filler in it, if I even put any in it at all. I was thinking of crocheting some ripple ones as well (http://home.att.net/~susanBinKC/patterns/ripple.html). My roommate wants to help me with these things, which is awesome. She can sew and do cross stitch, but has never quilted or done embroidery (each of the comfort quilts will have a hand embroidered square (a light house (or letter block), sail boat (or letter block), flower and butterfly respectively) and we're going to work together on a pink quilt to put away that will have pink flowers embroidered on the white blocks.

Mom does have separate blades for cloth because she does all her own hemming at home. She has a blade for jean fabric, a blade for cotton, and ones for paper all for the same cutter handle. I wish I could scam it from her. But we've got like twelve craft stores with in short bus ride, so Sara and I will go grab what we need during our free pay in October.

I'm so excited about this. I haven't done anything with our children's hospital since I volunteered when I was a student (the hospital was on campus), so this will definitely make me feel good.

September 16th, 2008, 09:57 PM
I think a 20x30 would be a great size, DS's is about 15x15 just small enough to use as a snuggle blankie, but he was covered with it in the NICU. You have some great plans, those are going to be beautiful little blankets!

I'd hate for you to put all of that energy and time into your handsewn quilt, then have the store-bought binding fail after washing. Just a thought.

September 16th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Hmm.. never thought about that. I have to go to the store and look at what they have, and pick up a book or something for quilting.

My aunt does machine quilts, but has always bought a pre made binding.

This is what I was referring to I think, but not necessarily the satin stuff. lol: http://store.quilting-warehouse.com/notion...tinblanket.html

My issue is, if I use fabric, I have to either sew the edges under before I fold it over and hem it. Or I have to use that iron on goo, so that way the edges haven't been exposed to cutting. The fabric I'm using right now I'm pretty sure is broad cloth, and is fraying like crazy! Part of that is probably because I cut it by hand.

September 17th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Done perhaps?

40" x 29"

The bed it is laying on is a double.

I'm very happy with it.

I do have enough fabric for another row (to make it 43.5") pre-cut and ready to sew on, but I almost like it exactly as it is. By the time I add the edging on it it should measure about 42x31, which makes it 10 inches shorter than a crib mattress is long... perfect!

I'm going to take the fabric I have left, and make two very small blankets out of 2x2 squares. (that way there are more than like 12 squares in the blanket)

What do you think Marie?

September 17th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Beautiful! It doesn't hurt to make it at least three inches large than the mattress, esp if you want to cover a LO with it. Great work!!
I looked at your satin binding link. I bind all of my quilts with fabric to match the quilt top or back, just cut it 3 inches wide, and sew the lengths together so that you have enough length to go around your quilt. Are your top, batting, and backing all tacked together? Do that first before you bind the edges. Put your quilt top-side-down onto the table. Take your "rope" of 3" binding and fold it in half lengthwise. Now pin the raw edges to the raw edges of the back of your quilt. Does that make sense? Now sew that to the back of your quilt 1/4" all the way around, leave the edges a bit longer and you'll have to tuck them in after. I do it from the back if I am machine quilting my binding. Since it sounds like you're gonna be hand-stitching yours, do this same process from the front. Have I lost you yet?
Now that your binding is sewn to one side of your quilt, flip it over the edge to the other side. You should have about an inch on the other side, you can now hand-stich it down and you should be done. Let me go find a binding link. Here's one for the pillowcase style which is also a quick and easy way to do it: here

This one is more the way I do it: here

Its pretty much the same thing you're going to do with the satin binding, but this will look nicer and will last longer. The binding is usually the first thing to go on a quilt, particularly the ones that are in use and washed often. My method takes 3" of fabric, then folds it over twice, so its very durable. I hope this helps you more than confuses you

September 18th, 2008, 03:17 PM
I think I got it. I had to read it, and think about it for most of my 2 hour walk.... but I think I got it.

I'm not putting it together yet. I missed a week of work, so I have to wait until one of my October pay checks to get the fabric and filler. By then I should have another small quilt done, as I'm getting the fabric for that tomorrow.

I'm doing the back out of a softer cotton, the same stuff receiving blankets are made of if I can find it for a decent price. Would that be ok for the binding?

September 18th, 2008, 05:37 PM
I do my binding with the same fabric I do my backing and tops out of, usually 100% quilting cotton, but I've also used broadcloth which is 65% cotton, 35% polyester. The quilting cotton is the quilting standard, but I've used both based on cost. You can also use quilting flannel for your back and binding. Quilt stores have high quality cottons, but they're also pretty expensive. Walmart's stuff is less expensive and would do the trick. What kind of batting (filler) do you plan on using?

September 18th, 2008, 07:08 PM
My aunt has used several different types of filler on the quilts I've helped tack.

This is what comes to mind...
http://store.quilting-warehouse.com/217817.html

But I was just doing some research, and I'd be concerened using a poly fill for a baby quilt because of the over heating risk.

This is where I was doing my reading
http://www.sewaquilt.com/quilt-batting.html
because I want the quilts light, just something to cover a baby with, I don't want to go with something thick... am I making sense?

We have a quilting store in my home town, so when I get home next (who knows when that will be) I will run up and talk to some of the ladies that work there. But while i'm here in the city we have Michael's, Atlantic Fabrics, Walmart and a lot of little stores here and there. So my roomie and I are going to go wander when we have a day off together (or schedule one off after Oct 17th) and see what we can find. We definately want to pick up a cutter and board!

I want to see what flannel is going to cost me. I love the way a receiving blaknet feels, and if it's not too pricey (I think it was like $3 a metre when I looked at it before) that's what I want to make baby quilt number 3 out of. The first three I make I'm going to put away for myself, and if someone close to me has a baby between now and then, I'll give them as gifts.

September 18th, 2008, 07:33 PM
I've used that first one, but mostly I use the thin cotton ones, one in particular called "Warm and Natural". Its thinner and makes a nice, light, but warm quilt. Thinner is also easier to wash, especially once you start making queens and kings. Yes, quilting is addicting

September 19th, 2008, 09:50 AM
I don't think I'd want to make a big one by hand. But that's now. LOL.. who knows what I'll say in the future.

Basically I want to see how the pricing adds up. It costs me between $20 and $40 to crochet an afghan, depending on the type of yarn. So far this baby quilt is sitting at $2.50 (I'm not going to count the thread and needles, because I need to have them around here anyways). I need to pick up the backing and some more cloth for the binding (I should check the bag and see if I have enough blue left to make the binding blue.. because I think I may. Along with the filler (which doesn't appear to be all that pricey) I'm estimating it will cost me $9 for a baby quilt. Tori's hand made wool blanket which is the exact same size, cost me $36 to crochet (and took considerably longer to make).

So yes, it's addicting. My roommate just popped in my room and asked when I'm going to teach her to embroider so she can start the flowers for the pink quilt! LOL.. even she's addicted.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search