Holiday Gift Giving?

Forum: Arts and Crafts

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Arts and Crafts LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 2nd, 2008, 04:10 PM
Veteran
I am too late to do it for this year, but I really want to start next month making my gifts for next year. I do a little bit of everything, so it shouldn't be hard to find ideas for everybody on my gift list. What is difficult is finding the patterns for everything that I want to do. I have plenty of crocheted afghan patterns, but almost none for knit, as well as having several patterns for clothing (knit and crochet). What's missing from my crafts "idea inventory" is projects that aren't fiber or textile projects.

I plan to make Dinky a teddy bear for this Christmas (or her birthday) depending on whether or not I can find the fur that I want. I can't really afford mohair this year and besides, this is a child's toy that we're talking about.

What kinds of things do you guys plan on doing for holiday gift-giving? Any ideas for the "hard to shop for?"

Thanks to MommaTrish for the Siggy!

October 2nd, 2008, 04:56 PM
xosparklesxo
I just finished a cross stich for my MIL. I posted a pic in a recent topic.

I found a GREAT gift for my hard to shop for Dad and stepmom. It is a latch hook pillow that says "Welcome to the cabin" they will love it for their little cabin in the mountains. They are SO difficult to shop for! They have lots of money so they buy themselves everything they want and they always ask for things like Barnes and Noble gift cards, which makes me feel lazy! I like seeing someone open a GIFT, not a piece of plastic! *LOL*

I think it's nice when you can find something really specific to someone's interests. I was able to do a lot of that this year, even though not all of it is handmade, I'm very happy with the gifts I got. I'm pretty much done with my shopping. I'll be decorating wrapping paper myself, and I have one more small gift to pick of for DH's neice. That's it for the shopping, I just have to finish that latch hook.
October 2nd, 2008, 06:25 PM
Veteran
My mom is probably the hardest, and they are planning on moving to the country either this year or early next year, so I'm really thinking about something for their house, but so far I can't find anything tasteful that I like. A lot of the patterns/charts that I'm finding are alright, but kind of... Well, not really their style, which makes it harder. DH won't let me spend an arm and a leg on craft books, so I'm stuck doing what I can with what I can get my hands on at the used book stores.

Dinky's easy because she's so young, but I think I'm going to have trouble once she's wanting a lot of toys... All of my friends want blankets (and have told me so -- too bad they take so long to crochet in my favorite patterns!).

I am going to have to get a plan for getting all this done. I'm terrible about starting but not finishing because I get distracted by another project

October 3rd, 2008, 11:31 AM
xosparklesxo
Quote:
My mom is probably the hardest, and they are planning on moving to the country either this year or early next year, so I'm really thinking about something for their house, but so far I can't find anything tasteful that I like. A lot of the patterns/charts that I'm finding are alright, but kind of... Well, not really their style, which makes it harder. DH won't let me spend an arm and a leg on craft books, so I'm stuck doing what I can with what I can get my hands on at the used book stores.

Dinky's easy because she's so young, but I think I'm going to have trouble once she's wanting a lot of toys... All of my friends want blankets (and have told me so -- too bad they take so long to crochet in my favorite patterns!).

I am going to have to get a plan for getting all this done. I'm terrible about starting but not finishing because I get distracted by another project [/b]

I have finally been able to be truly productive lately and reach my goals for getting things done. This is how I'm doing it.

I am only allowing myself one project at a time. That's IT. First I finished a cross stich, then I worked on Tiffany's Halloween costume. It does need the final touch of ribbon to tie it with, but I haven't made it to the store yet, and that will be quick so I left it for more last minute. Now I have started on that latch hook. I have fabric to make her curtains, but I refuse to even so much as measure the window until I get this latch hook done. If I have more than one project at once every single one of them goes slower.

I am devoting a minimum of 1-2 solid hours of crafting a night. I get the needed supplies and sit with them in front of the TV with DH after Tiffany goes to bed. I can hear the tv, and look up sometimes, but I have to be working the whole time. I'm not reading in the evenings or anything like that. I'm just really staying focused until Christmas gifts are done, and then I'll relax the pace.

During the day if I feel like I have a free minute to sit while Tiffy's napping, like I just finished the dishes and I want to sit for a minute I'll work, even if it's just for 5-10 minutes to do a few latches. Throughout the day this can add up to finishing one or two lines, so it does help, even though it feels like nothing at the time.

Maybe you can look at craft websites and find just one pattern you like and can buy affordably instead of buying a book or looking at free patterns. Sometimes patterns aren't too expensive. There are so many great craft websites, so keep your hopes up!! You may be able to find something still!!
October 3rd, 2008, 05:24 PM
Veteran
I have an afghan pattern that I adore, and I'm planning on doing more than one of them for next year. Also Vanna's gift afghans book has some great (and unique) patterns in it. But the problem is I'll never use all of them. I won't buy a book unless I like at least half of the patterns in it, though, so I guess that's (kind of) to the plus side of things!

I'd really like to do some sweaters for next year. I'm thinking about crocheting instead of knitting, but the trouble is that everybody I'm creating for prefers knit to crochet I'm sure I'll find something for everybody though. I'm going to work this month on making the list of people I'm crafting for next year and then try to get some information about what they would really like, and go from there. My mom I'll probably do a wreath or something for the home, which makes working for her a LOT easier. She tends not to be a big fan of hand-crafted items for some reason, though she appreciates the work that goes into them.Weird, I guess.

I find it so hard to just stick to one project though. Working steadily on a cross-stitch a small one takes me about three months

October 4th, 2008, 08:19 AM
xosparklesxo
Quote:
I find it so hard to just stick to one project though. Working steadily on a cross-stitch a small one takes me about three months [/b]
It is hard to find time, I don't REALLY have it, I just kind of make it I guess. Sleep a little less, vacuum a little less, etc. With Christmas so close I feel like I REALLY need to be on top of it I guess.
October 7th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm making skirts for my nieces and DD with either matching purses or headbands. Lounge pants for the boys [nephew, DS, Godson]. Hats and scarves for DD and DS. My mom wants a nice fluffy scarf. Dad I'm making a quilt. The in laws I'm not sure yet.

October 7th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm a quilter so I do couch quilts, baby quilts and wall hangings, though I would like to try aprons this year.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search