Spinning

Forum: Arts and Crafts

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Arts and Crafts LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 5th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Mommy Wannabe
I'm so excited to find this room. I'm waiting to conceive my first and hang out mostly in the "I want a baby" forum.

I am an avid knitter and crocheter. Love doing both!! Recently, however, I learned how to spin my own yarn.

Are there any other spinners here? What do you use? Drop spindles or spinning wheel? Where do you get your fleece from? I don't have a spinning wheel, but have learned how to spin pretty fast with a drop spindle. My friend is in the process of making me a new (and slightly larger) one.

I just bought my first fleece from a place online. I was a little disappointed. It was corriedale wool, but the staple is only about 3". I've got about 2/3 still sitting up in my bathtub. Corriedale is supposed to have a 5" staple, so I thought a flick carder would be sufficient, but now there is just so much waste that I felt compelled to buy a set of hand carders to move through it faster.

What kind of wool do you like to spin, and where do you get it from?
November 7th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hello!

I spin with a drop spindle. I'm a beginner spinner and have only spun merino wool. I bought some offline and some from a LYS. I don't know much about spinning, just know how to do it.

November 13th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Mommy Wannabe
So far I have only spun Corriedale, but I've spun it out of my bathtub at least. Most of it is in bags now. I weighed it. I've got about 1.75 pounds left. It's all clean, spinable stuff, even if the staple is really short.

I have to say, there is something incredibly rewarding about taking a sheep and turning it into knittable yarn. I was sitting in my husband's office waiting for him after work today and his coworkers were just fascinated by the spinning.

I also use a drop spindle. It's nice and portable.

Do you card your own wool, or do you buy prepared roving? I've got some prepared roving, but I don't actually like it. It's difficult to draft. I've been spinning from my own rolags that I've combed up.
November 15th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I buy the prepared roving. Yeah i spin in the car sometimes. It's neat.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search