Learning to quilt

Forum: Arts and Crafts

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Arts and Crafts LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 9th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Veteran
So I am in the process of learning to quilt. I really want to learn how to hand and machine quilt. I got some basics but just really need some good tips. I got some books from the library and they are helpful but I want tips from people who actually quilt. I got some pre cut material from ebay. (John Deere) I want to make either a small lap quilt for Rob, or just a big pillow for him for when hes lying on the couch.

So can anyone give me tips?
November 9th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm a quilter, what exactly do you want to know? Do you know any people IRL who quilt? They and people who work in fabric or quilting stores are excellent resources. I can also try to answer any questions. What do you have for supplies so far, ie cutting mats, rotary cutters, etc?
November 10th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm learning to quilt too. I'm making one out of old shirts. I have 3 black trash bags full. I'm in the process of cutting them out. Supplies: I have a rotary cutter and mat, machine, iron, a little interfacing...um idk what else to put.

My aunt that quilts told me to sew the squares into strips [horizontally, I believe] and then sew the strips together.

November 10th, 2008, 09:54 AM
once you find a pattern, cut and sew your blocks, then sew your strips into strips. Then you sandwich your batting and backing and quilt thru all three layers.
November 10th, 2008, 10:34 AM
xosparklesxo
I'd be interested in learning to quilt as well. I've never tried it before!!!

Is it something you can do by hand all the way through, or do you have to use a machine when you do the finishing touches? I know you can sew squares by hand, right?! *LOL*

Maybe you quilters can share some websites!!!!

I'd love to add more to the links post I made and turn it into a sticky, and this is one area I know nothing about! I'd love your help!!
November 10th, 2008, 10:40 AM
You can hand sew everything, I don't b/c I don't have time or patience for that. I'll find some links.
November 10th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Veteran
So far I am totally new so I dont have much. I do have a sewing machine, although I want to do as much as possible by hand. I have bought the material off ebay already cut (i know its cheating lol but till I can afford all the other supplies thats what I am going to do)

I just wanted to know how to piece them together. But it seems like I have the right idea, do each row then sew the rows together. Then batting and a back piece. What about the binding? Do you sew that on once its all sewed together (the strips)
November 10th, 2008, 04:53 PM
yup, the binding goes on after the three layers have been sandwiched together and machine or hand quilted. You could buy a fairly basic introductory quilt book, they usually have great diagrams----also once you get tired of sewing strips together, you can get into making really cool quilt blocks
November 10th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Veteran
Right now I am going to make a John Deere pattern for Rob. One is John Deere, then a brown then a light yellow. So it alternates. It looks cool layed out. Hopefully it comes together good. But I figure this is Robs so it dosent have to be perfect.
November 10th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Fun! My first quilt ever was a queen sized Rail Fence pattern-I still have it on my couch right now, and I made it 11 years ago
November 10th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I love quilts! They are so comfy and last forever. That is why I want to learn to make them.

November 12th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Veteran
Ok so when I sandwich the pieces togther do I just sew the sides? A few things I have looked at say to do diagnol lines across it to hold the binding through out the quilt. Or is this just on certain quilts. I really need to look into classes but there dosent seem to be any quilt stores in my area.
November 12th, 2008, 06:39 PM
You want to anchor your three layers by "stitching in the ditch", meaning you sew along a seam, you want to have spaces of batting no wider than the width of your fist, does that make sense? That will hold your batting down and prevent it from balling up in the wash. Try this resource: all people quilt
November 12th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Veteran
Ill take a look at that site. Thanks so much. This all seems so confusing to me.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search