Introducing myself

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 17th, 2008, 08:43 AM
docsmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to docsmomma
Hello ladies. My name is Traci and I am mom to 6 yr old David, 3 yr old Melanie and 6 month old Joey.

I spent the past year telling the peds that something wasn't right, Melanie wasn't talking. They finally started doing something a few months ago and we got her hearing test back. While she passed the initial hearing test, there was alot of pressure behind her ears, especially her left one. Right before she turned 3 I contacted the school district. They did their evaluations, and recently got back to me. They did another hearing test which shows she's hearing less, though she still passed, and the pressure in both ears has increased. They then offered her a spot in SDC preschool. We toured the preschool classroom on Monday and as soon as her IEP comes in we're starting. In February we're supposed to get tubes in her ears with the hope that this will clear up the pressure and help her hear better.

My oldest was also speech delayed but his had nothing to do with his hearing. We have been told to try using sign language with Melanie and we've started learning it (I had the basics but DH didn't know any of it). We have a friend of mine who specializes with teaching kids, teaching both her and us, and we are teaching our oldest as well.

This has been a rough road for us. DH is blaming himself because he did the same thing. I'm just angry that they ignored me for so long.
December 18th, 2008, 01:17 PM
stacyp's Avatar Mommy to Andrew & Luke
Welcome Traci!

Thanks Yvonne (Jaidynsmum) for my beautiful siggy!

December 20th, 2008, 05:06 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Welcome Traci! Sorry you are going through all that with Melanie. Mom's always know best and I had people ignore me too when I knew there was something wrong with my son. WTG for not giving in. Welcome to the board.

December 22nd, 2008, 12:04 PM
docsmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to docsmomma
Thanks ladies for the welcome. We found out more stuff on Thursday when we talked with the District Psycologist about all her testing. She is apparently delayed in other areas as well (which will be discussed in the IEP meeting) and I am just frustrated with not knowing anything at this point.
April 7th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
I'm re-welcoming you
I would be upset also. Doctors need to listen to parents more often, we do know our children better than anyone. ((Hugs)) to you, hon.

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!
April 7th, 2009, 11:47 AM
kittycat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thought I would also say hello - and see how things went on school and with the tubes.

My older boy, Kyle, has had 3 sets of tubes for problems similar to what you described. In our case, the drs were ignoring his seizures and saying it was his ears/not hearing. His problems are finally better - but we might be on the watch for another set of tubes, due to a reoccuring infection the past two months.

I do hope your daughter was able to get in to the IEP school program. It has been one of the best experiences for our son, and I"m sure you're daughter will just love it too. You would be amazed at how resilient and quick to learn the kids are, once their problems have been identified.

April 7th, 2009, 12:53 PM
~~~Sara~~~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi Traci, It's so true mothers know best and I am glad you pushed to get Melanie what she needs.

I encourage all of us to keep bugging one doctor after the next until we get our kids what they need.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search