our re-introduction

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 7th, 2009, 06:14 PM
docsmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to docsmomma
Hello ladies, my name is Traci. I am mom to David (7 in may), Melanie (3) and Joey (9-1/2 months). My DH is DJ.

Melanie is severly speech delayed and just started talking a few months ago. She had severe pressure behind her ears causing her speech delay but we also found out that there were delays in other areas. We had started an IEP for her through the school but we had to move before the process was finished so we need to start that again, except this district is beign very difficult. So in the meantime she goes to speech therapy each week while we wait for a developmental assessment outside the school system.

Joey has a rare disease called Langerhans Cell Histiocytosis, which is a prolific disease that affects 1 in 200,000 children that acts and is treated the same as cancer but is not considered a cancer. He has been in treatment for 13 weeks now, and still has 39 weeks minimum to go. There is no cure and the reactivation rate for LCH is about 50% according to last studies, but the protocal he is on is fairly new (just out of trials). We have weekly labs drawn for him, as well as IV chemo every 3 weeks now (was weekly) and oral chemo daily and weekly. He was very delayed a few months ago, but now that his disease is being treated he is not delayed. However we don't know what the long term effects of his treatment or the long term effects of LCH are.

Right now our weekly schedule is Mondays: Kids park Day
Tuesday: Melanie Speech
Wednesday: Labs
Thursday: Oncologist and every 3 weeks chemo
Friday: David's Counseling

I also take care of my sister during the week. She has Ehler Danlos, Spina Bifida, Addisons Disease, Dysautonomia, and Prolonged QT Syndrome.
April 7th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
Wow, hun. You have your hands full! I always dread IEP time, so good luck with that!! I hope the school starts working for you. They really should be!

Joey sounds like a wonderful little fighter. I totally agree with the longterm effects being unknown for chemo (and LCH). I'm a childhood cancer survivor and my treatments may have caused my DD's birth defects. Obviously we'll never know for sure. I'm going to add his caringBridge page to my list that I follow.

((Hugs)) to you for also caring for your sister!! Amazing!

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!
April 7th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
double

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!
April 7th, 2009, 07:43 PM
kittycat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow, you really have your hands full! You're going to have to share some of your destress solutions with the rest of us.

April 7th, 2009, 08:37 PM
docsmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to docsmomma
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycat View Post
Wow, you really have your hands full! You're going to have to share some of your destress solutions with the rest of us.
Honestly my destress solution is look at DH and say "all yours" and then go lock myself in the bathroom for an hour... Or call my mom and say "Hey I need to go shopping can you watch the kids?" then taking a LONG time to shop for ONE item...
April 8th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Jasons_Mommy's Avatar I love my little man!!
Send a message via AIM to Jasons_Mommy
Wow hun you have alot on your plate i hope to get to know you better (((HUGGS))

Thank you Sara(misfitinmn) for my siggy!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search