Meet our SN kids

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 21st, 2011, 08:22 PM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi, I'm Anna. My Husband Rick and I have 4 daughters.
Meagan (14), Abbey (12), Kayla (8) and Ellie (5).

Ellie has been a part of our family for a little over a year now but she officially became "ours for keeps" in January 2011.

She has been through a lot of struggle and trauma in her short life. She is in the process of recovering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. This causes extreme anxiety and occasional selective mutism. I absolutely do not belive these things will last for long. She is determined to get better and she inspires me every day.

Ellie also has some physical and medical challenges as a result of being born 13 weeks early. She has Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy which causes high muscle tone in her legs and very mild low tone in her trunk. She also has Chronic Lung Disease which flares up when she gets sick and usually leads to a hospital stay. We're hoping this will improve with time.

Ellie is a very bright and loving little girl. We are blessed to have her in our lives.

(Sorry no pics for us. These are some adorable kids.)

Last edited by mamma_anna; February 23rd, 2011 at 09:02 PM.
February 26th, 2011, 12:43 PM
breea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy

This is Breeanna. She was born at 36 weeks weighing 4lbs 4 ozs and 17 inchese long. She was born with a single umbilical artery and IUGR. At 2 weeks old she was dx'd with a heart murmur and sent to a cardiologist and was dx'd with a 1 cm ASD and a VSD. Two months later she was in the PICU for congestive heard failure and she started meds.

Fast forward to March 2010 and she had 5 grand mal siezure within 10 hours and dx'd with epilepsy. At this point she was globally developementaly delayed. We have had her genes looked at 2 different ways and everything is normal. She has sensory issues and food eversion issues. She doest sleep at night more then to 1 AM even with the help of melotonin. She is also GFCF which is fun seeing she is such a picky eater.

March 23rd, 2011, 07:51 AM
blueyedbabii's Avatar Blueyedbabii<3
Send a message via Yahoo to blueyedbabii

This is JAcob 12.09.04
He was born at 31.5 weeks gestation via emergancy c-section after 4 days of hard labor. He was 6 lbs 8 oz and 20.5 in long. His lungs weren't fully developed and spent a week in NICU. He has been diagnosed with ECDD and Speech Delay with possible additional Diagnosises to come this September for the Elementary IEP evaluation becuase he'll be 7 and thats the magical year that the diagnosises start counting in Michigan

November 8th, 2011, 07:27 AM
challowell's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi. I'm Christina and my special needs child is Jamie. She has strabismus with intermittent exotropia Which causes her to have no depth preception and no 3D sight. She also has recently been found to have hearing loss in her left ear which can affect directional hearing and make it hard for her to hear in crowds. Glad to meet you all.

Update rued out hearing loss. She just don't want to cooperate with doctors

Last edited by challowell; June 4th, 2012 at 09:10 AM.
December 22nd, 2011, 11:12 AM
mom2pne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy

This is a picture of Ty in September 2011 on his first day of his second time in 8th grade. He is 15. We kept him in middle school one more year. He also had an extra year of early childhood and will have another year of 12th.

He was born with Transposition of the Great Arteries (or Vessels) [pulminary vessel and aorta were on the wrong sides of the heart], Ventricular Septal Defect (VSD)[holes], Atrial Septal Defect (ASD)[holes], Hypoplastic Right Heart Disease [small right ventricle] and Aortic Stenosis [narrowed aorta]. He was diagnosed with all this at 3.5 weeks old with a pulse-ox of about 40%. He has a lot of atrophy to his brain due to that. For some reason his brain managed to rewire itself and get him to walk and talk. I took him to a neurologist once who told me he was more of a miracle than I knew because he has so much brain damage that when she came in the room and saw him walking and talking it made her smile. She told me that she was expecting a child in a wheelchair that would never walk or talk. But not those exact words.

He's had 3 heart surgeries and several ECHO's, EKG's, blood work, and heart catheters -where one they had to place a stent due to Pulmonary Stenosis [narrowed pulmonary vessel].
June 2nd, 2012, 12:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Tinky
I have pulled out the big guns and am typing from Rays paperwork. I'd not remember otherwise. I separated the different results by the doctor that did them. IE therapist, physchologist etc. Thats why they are spaced like this. I was also somewhat confused as to what is actual DX and what is simply a test result so i put whatever I found in the paperwork. I am sorry if it is confusing or if I left things out or wrote them twice!

Ray was born jan 27, 2008. At 39w6d, natural very quick vaginal delivery. he is 4yr4mths as I write this. yes, I know. i went nuts with the pics. i think My boy is beautiful!

Strabismus(wandering eye) and Amblophia(lazy eye)
Possible hearing loss OR Auditory processing Disorder.

ADHD, Predominantly Hyperactive Impulsive type Mood Disorder NOS, High functioning Autistic.

mixed developmental Disorder, late effect of cerebrovascular disease speech and language deficits. Moderate proprioceptive dystfunction.
Bilateral Calcaneal valgus. Bilateral Ankle pronation. Moderate hypotonia. generalized weakness. Mild to Moderate Plagiocephaly. Moderate sensory processing dysfunction. Evidence of Thoracic Kyphosis. He is being fitted for orthotic device on both feet/ankles.

hypotonia. Motor incordination. Grasping age equivalant of 20 mths delayed 61% (very poor) visual motor integration age equivalant of 34 months delayed 34% (poor)

severe receptive and expressive language disorder, severe articulation disorder in connected speech, severe pragmatic disorder. oral motor and oral resonance impairments.

Robert 17,
Heaven-Leigh 15
(TL 1.11.98)
(TR 10.26.06)
Raymond 5
Alexavier 3
Stoney 2
Korbyn 28 week miracle 5/17/13

Last edited by Tinky; June 2nd, 2012 at 01:01 PM. Reason: put rong url for pics
June 3rd, 2012, 10:57 AM
Meet Oakley He is the youngest of 5 children and will be 2 in September.

Oakley was diagnosed in utero. I will keep it simple..basically he has major kidney and urological issues and will require a kidney transplant eventually. We have biweekly labwork, monthly ultrasounds, and lots of surgeries, MRI's, and Nuclear Scans. His webpage is CaringBridge / Oakley Savickas / Welcome

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search