Shopping....

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 14th, 2009, 02:28 PM
~Coley125~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to ~Coley125~
Hi,

Im wondering if any of you can tell me how you go about shopping with your child with special needs? My child is 15 month, she doesn't sit and has poor trunk control. As of now I still have her in her infant carrier but I really need to move her into a rear facing 'toddler' seat because she's getting too big and too heavy to lug around in that thing!

What Im trying to figure out is how do I go shopping with her? I have 2 other kids-5 and 2 and 95% of the time its just me with all 3 of them. Do any of you know of any adaptive seating systems that can be purchased that will fit into/on a standard shopping cart?

I have seen all kinds of stroller systems but I do not think I could push both a shopping cart and a stroller. Im really really stumped on what to do here. I borrowed one of those baby bejour things from a friend..but thats a very temporary solution as she will soon be too large to carry in that as well.

Do any of you have any ideas/suggestions/experiance you could pass on to me? I know it probably seems like such a small thing to be stressed about but Im really not sure what to do here!

Thanks so much!!

~Nicole~
April 14th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
It's not a small thing. It seems that having a child with special needs turns everything into a big thing. Nothing is easy anymore. ((Hugs))
I don't personally know of anything (other that babywearing), but I'd check
adaptivemall.com and abilitations.
I was going to suggest a kidcart.

I hope one of our other mommies will have some ideas. Your girls are beautiful!

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!
April 14th, 2009, 02:57 PM
I've checked both of those sites, and a couple others but didn't see anything...whats a kidcart? like a stoller?
April 14th, 2009, 05:04 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I honestly don't know of any systems that would help... If you are open to wearing her, you might look into something like an Ergo; I know ladies who carry their toddlers on their back perfectly comfortably in one.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
April 14th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Coley125~ View Post
I've checked both of those sites, and a couple others but didn't see anything...whats a kidcart? like a stoller?
Yes, it's a stroller/wheelchair. There are many different types/styles and some insurance will pay for them.

Quickie Kid Cart Express Chair

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!
April 14th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Im not sure what an Ergo is...she doesn't have very good trunk/neck control so that is a concern when talking about wearing her.
April 16th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My first suggestion would be to ask your 5 year old to push the baby in a stroller while you push the 2 year old in the cart. Dont treat it like a job, but a fun thing to do. and no you dont have to worry about trunk control with the ergo, babywearing constantly didnt work for us, but could be a great thing for the times when you just cant do anything else

My Blog
http://howdyinc.com/mrshowdy/
April 16th, 2009, 08:26 PM
kittycat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Kyle ws on oxygen and up to two monitors for the first two years - so any trip required a bit of creativity. Plus, Kyle was 3.5 before he walked, and it was 2 before I could really prop him in the cart right without him slumping bad (low-tone/ataxic CP, limited trunk control, etc).

We had a few options for shopping.. We had a great stroller that had a wide open access, extremely large basket underneath that I would put groceries in. Plus I used toy rings/stroller hooks for bags on the handle (even while shopping -use the cloth ones, and just tell the store clerk when you get there, if need be). For bigger trips, I pulled the stroller and pushed a cart. For holidays (huge trips), I've asked customer service, to have a bagger/clerk shop with me. Most union or small local grocery stores offer that as a special service - I've never seen it at non-U places (like walmart), but it doesn't hurt to ask.

April 18th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
also places like costco and sams allow you to call, fax or email ahead your orders as well

My Blog
http://howdyinc.com/mrshowdy/
April 18th, 2009, 03:45 PM
docsmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to docsmomma
I have a Maya Wrap I use. I was using it with my 3 yr old for a while but now I use it just for Joey, its the ONLY way to keep a face mask on him. When he doesn't need a mask I have David (6) push the stroller and put Melanie in the cart. Most Ring Slings go up to 35 lbs and I have not had a problem with him being too heavy (23 lbs) for my back, plus it provides full support for his body on his more tired days and keeps him warm.
April 25th, 2009, 05:58 PM
stacyp's Avatar Mommy to Andrew & Luke
I may have to look into a wrap or Ergo now. Good suggestions.

Thanks Yvonne (Jaidynsmum) for my beautiful siggy!

April 27th, 2009, 10:16 AM
~~~Sara~~~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Carter has low muscle tone, but he does hold up his head, so I am not sure I relate on that level but I LOVE LOVE LOVE our Ergo carrier, I use it ALL the time! It really is comfortable and goes up to a pretty high weight limit, it seems you could support her head depending on how you positioned her.

I got mine used on Diaper Swappers website.

And I do think your question is important and a big deal, it's tough for any mommy to shop with 3 kids and when you have special needs on top of that, it's tough. When I read your title I was thinking shopping, ya right! I don't do much of that anymore. I usually get a babysitter once a week for 4 hours and do all the grocery/Target/etc stuff out of the way, but it requires a lot of planning which stinks.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search