Kyle's new bike.

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 19th, 2009, 02:01 PM
kittycat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We went yesterday morning to a bike store that makes custom bikes for special needs kids. The custom bikes are very pricey ($2-5K), but they have some grant assistance - which we found out once there, we didn't qualify for. However, we did found out that we could get a modification kit for Trek bikes, but the cost was still going to be over $500 with the new bike and modifications.

Determined to not see Kyle sit another summer out on the sidelines - I came home yesterday and called my local bike shop about the modifications we were looking to get done. And see if we could save some $$ going with them, and we could. Then I did some searching online last night, found a great condition Trek bike used for $65 (vs. $200 retail). We picked it up today, and dropped it off at our local shop. The final modified bike will cost us less than 1/2 of what the special shop was going to charge. And a couple of the changes are nicer/sportier looking vs. 'special needs' looking (and function the same or better).

As long as the special training wheels come in this week - Kyle will get to pick his bike up on Saturday. And for the first time ever - ride a big boy bike

April 19th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
Awe..That's great news!! Take pics! I'm so happy for him!
I'm glad you found it cheaper, that first place was very expensive!

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!
April 19th, 2009, 09:32 PM
kittycat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditzzy View Post
Awe..That's great news!! Take pics! I'm so happy for him!
I'm glad you found it cheaper, that first place was very expensive!
Well, in part it was the cost of the base bike. We found the same bike gently used for a fraction of the retail price. The other issue that anything labeled 'special needs' costs a fortune. However, I found out that there's all sorts of products out there that are comparable or better for less - but they're more competition biking gear vs. 'special needs' brands.

But in the end, we had to change the bike to a fixed gear, replace the back tire (metal part) to accommodate the cog kit and new chain system, change the pedals, add padding, change the seat, and buy special training wheels (they look like the bike wheels, only 12.5" tall). The training wheels through the specialty store were $110+tax, but I did find those online (same brand) for $80 - and the bike shop is going to install them - and they still cost more than we paid for the base bike *sigh*

April 20th, 2009, 05:09 AM
stacyp's Avatar Mommy to Andrew & Luke
Awwww, I am so glad he's getting a big boy bike!

Thanks Yvonne (Jaidynsmum) for my beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search