Ava's therapy coordinator

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 20th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
I met Ava's therapy coordinator this morning. Ironically she's an RN that worked for years on the trach/vent floor and knows Ava's new medical team. I thought we'd do the evaluation, but as it turns out Ava does not need evaluated since she has a diagnosis (verified by more than two doctors) and has been accepted by the CMH (Children with medical handicaps).

What I like:
In home therapy
She knows exactly what is wrong with Ava and has experience with it.
If anything is denied by our insurance, CMH might cover it.

What I don't like:
She informed me that she believes Ava may have an airway put in because she is so delayed. That it's "blatently obvious" that Ava is using any extra energy on breathing when she should be using that energy on gross motor skills. (I really wanted to like her until she said this)

She also said she feels Ava needs tested for cerebral palsy. I don't see muscle tone issues. ??

I don't know what to say about it all. I think I'd like to remain in denial for 2 more weeks! I'm counting on this new medical team to tell me Ava is 100% cured of everything. *sigh* That's just not gonna happen, is it?

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!

Last edited by Ditzzy; April 20th, 2009 at 01:19 PM.
April 20th, 2009, 02:18 PM
stacyp's Avatar Mommy to Andrew & Luke
((HUGS)) Hopefully her opinion is wrong. Please KUP, I will be thinking of you.

As far as the CP, wouldn't someone have noticed if they thought she might?

Thanks Yvonne (Jaidynsmum) for my beautiful siggy!

April 20th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacyp View Post
((HUGS)) Hopefully her opinion is wrong. Please KUP, I will be thinking of you.

As far as the CP, wouldn't someone have noticed if they thought she might?
That's what I was thinking too. Ava is behind, but her muscle tone seems fine to me. She has an mri soon, I guess that would show CP? I highly doubt she has it. I refuse to stress until a doctor tells me she has it.

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!
April 20th, 2009, 05:24 PM
stacyp's Avatar Mommy to Andrew & Luke
i totally agree. I wouldn't stress about her conversation, period, until you talk to her docs.

I think they go on assessment alone. But, I could be wrong.

Thanks Yvonne (Jaidynsmum) for my beautiful siggy!

April 21st, 2009, 12:56 PM
iamkc's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to iamkc
(((HUGS))) I wonder if most people in medicine don't understand that they can't just mention something like that off-handedly, or so nonchalantly. I'm so sorry. I hope that her opinion is wrong. Milo is technically classified as CP right now for his Early Intervention therapies, but he has some pretty impressive muscle tone issues. (They're getting better, though!)

I'd definitely wait to stress AFTER getting a true medical opinion. I wish that everyone would talk to each other before blurting stuff like that to parents. *sigh*

(((HUGS))) again. KUP on what the doctors say!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search