DITTZY!! And everyone else too

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 21st, 2009, 05:11 PM
I'd rather be in Forks
I LOVE LOVE LOVE your welcome to holland flair. Do you mind if I steal it?

For any of you who've never read this, it's a must for all special needs parents. I bawled my eyes out the first time.

Quote:
I am often asked to describe the experience of raising a child with a disability - to try to help people who have not shared that unique experience to understand it, to imagine how it would feel. It's like this......

When you're going to have a baby, it's like planning a fabulous vacation trip - to Italy. You buy a bunch of guide books and make your wonderful plans. The Coliseum. The Michelangelo David. The gondolas in Venice. You may learn some handy phrases in Italian. It's all very exciting.

After months of eager anticipation, the day finally arrives. You pack your bags and off you go. Several hours later, the plane lands. The stewardess comes in and says, "Welcome to Holland."

"Holland?!?" you say. "What do you mean Holland?? I signed up for Italy! I'm supposed to be in Italy. All my life I've dreamed of going to Italy."

But there's been a change in the flight plan. They've landed in Holland and there you must stay.

The important thing is that they haven't taken you to a horrible, disgusting, filthy place, full of pestilence, famine and disease. It's just a different place.

So you must go out and buy new guide books. And you must learn a whole new language. And you will meet a whole new group of people you would never have met.

It's just a different place. It's slower-paced than Italy, less flashy than Italy. But after you've been there for a while and you catch your breath, you look around.... and you begin to notice that Holland has windmills....and Holland has tulips. Holland even has Rembrandts.

But everyone you know is busy coming and going from Italy... and they're all bragging about what a wonderful time they had there. And for the rest of your life, you will say "Yes, that's where I was supposed to go. That's what I had planned."

And the pain of that will never, ever, ever, ever go away... because the loss of that dream is a very very significant loss.

But... if you spend your life mourning the fact that you didn't get to Italy, you may never be free to enjoy the very special, the very lovely things ... about Holland.

http://http://www.our-kids.org/Archives/Holland.html

April 21st, 2009, 06:40 PM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
Of course you can have it! You don't even need to ask. I love welcome to Holland.

ETA: I may borrow one of your Twilight flairs. lol

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!

Last edited by Ditzzy; April 21st, 2009 at 06:43 PM.
April 21st, 2009, 07:07 PM
I'd rather be in Forks
Feel free to borrow away! I'm going to change my siggy pretty soon (possibly tonight) so if you don't get it before I do I'll be happy to PM it to you. I've got them all saved in photobucket

April 21st, 2009, 07:25 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I love the Holland one... in fact, as soon as I saw it I hopped over to FB to add it to my flair there, LOL. And was quite sad that the "This Bella married her Edward" flair wasn't on there

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
April 21st, 2009, 07:33 PM
If I don't see one I want, I'll make one. That reminds me that i have flair credits to use!

April 21st, 2009, 07:35 PM
I'd rather be in Forks
*IF* I can get photobucket to cooperate, I've got that one Kel!

April 21st, 2009, 07:41 PM
I'd rather be in Forks

April 21st, 2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks!! As much as I love Twilight, I had the hardest time figuring out what had people so swoon-y over Edward as a romantic lead...then I sat back and took tally and was like - duh - John does all that stuff so I'm less impressed.

April 21st, 2009, 08:11 PM
Awe...so sweet!
Did Miranda send the movie to you yet?

April 21st, 2009, 08:24 PM
Yes! I watched it in little bits and pieces, and want to watch it in one sitting before I pass judgement. All I'm willing to say right now is that I hate Jasper. Seriously, all he does is look drugged the whole movie.

April 21st, 2009, 10:03 PM
I'd rather be in Forks
HAHA! He looked like a drug addict who'd been kicked in the nuts 3 seconds before the camera started rolling. Oh he was terrible. Alice was pretty awesome though.

April 22nd, 2009, 06:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
HAHA! He looked like a drug addict who'd been kicked in the nuts 3 seconds before the camera started rolling. Oh he was terrible. Alice was pretty awesome though.
So true about Jasper!

I think they could've picked someone prettier to play Rosalie since she is supposed to be perfect. Bella could've smiled more.

April 22nd, 2009, 07:49 AM
I'd rather be in Forks
Honestly, the actress who plays Rosalie is BEAUTIFUL - when she's brunette, like she is naturally. She would have been perfect if Rosalie was a brunette, but that blonde wig doesn't do a thing in the world for her.

And don't even get me started on Esme...

April 22nd, 2009, 07:55 AM
Hahaha, YES, I think the kicked in the nuts part fits perfectly. And yeah, Bella was just so brooding the whole time, totally missed the fact that she was supposed to be HAPPY. I didn't have beef with Esme, but Carlisle just didn't work for me either. I don't even know why; he didn't grate on me like Jasper did, but he just didn't seem right either.

April 22nd, 2009, 07:59 AM
I'd rather be in Forks
Yeah, the whole movie was sooooooo angsty, they missed so much joy that was in the books. Bella was a typical teen to me (please no one kill me for that!) and she wasn't in the book.

Esme wasn't pretty enough to me, at all. And in the baseball scene, it looks like her wig is falling off. Carlisle wasn't my first choice but after watching the movie several times, he's grown on me.

What's your favorite scene? Mine is hands down the scene where they're in the kitchen and Alice says "It's okay Jasper, you won't hurt her" and poor Edward looks like OMG *** IS WRONG WITH YOU?!

April 22nd, 2009, 08:13 AM
I agree on Carlisle too. I saw a pic of the actress that played Rosalie and didn't even realize it was the same person. I like the movie for what is it, though. I had low expectations so I'm not disappointed. I wish she'd finish Midnight Sun!

Last edited by Ditzzy; April 22nd, 2009 at 09:15 AM. Reason: spelling
April 22nd, 2009, 09:05 AM
The kitchen scene is definitely my favorite too, the whole thing actually, LOL.

And yeah, I can't say I was disappointed with the movie, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy picking it apart

Midnight Sun just makes me sad. I blew through Twilight so quickly, and like every other chapter I kept thinking, man, I wish this wasn't first person so she could reveal what Edward's thinking too. I was like a kid in a candy store when I heard she had Edward's version in the works, only to be kicked out when I found out she wasn't working on it anymore!

April 22nd, 2009, 10:07 AM
I'd rather be in Forks
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietsong View Post
I was like a kid in a candy store when I heard she had Edward's version in the works, only to be kicked out when I found out she wasn't working on it anymore!
Me too. I just love the different perspective.

And the movie is an excuse to stare at Robert Pattinson for an hour and a half. There's NO WAY to be disappointed in that.

Has anyone else's DH read it? Mike wasn't really interested til we saw the movie (on DVD) and then he decided to read it. He is a really slow reader - that being said, it took him a week to read Twilight, and he's over 3/4 of the way through New Moon in like 3 days. He LOVES it! He says he doesn't care what anyone says, there's nothing girly about vampires and werewolves.

April 22nd, 2009, 11:56 AM
Mine hasn't...I don't think it would be his bag, so I haven't suggested it.

April 22nd, 2009, 11:59 AM
I'd rather be in Forks
I didn't either, at all, but he asked after he saw the movie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search