Qotd 4/22

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 22nd, 2009, 07:34 AM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
Do you support any charities? Which ones?

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!
April 22nd, 2009, 08:07 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
Well...I think most people know at the moment that I'm a supporter of March of Dimes. I also am a big fan and supporter of Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep; they are a volunteer organization that provides photographers to free to families who are going through a stillbirth or a neonatal loss.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
April 22nd, 2009, 09:17 AM
iamkc's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to iamkc
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietsong View Post
Well...I think most people know at the moment that I'm a supporter of March of Dimes. I also am a big fan and supporter of Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep; they are a volunteer organization that provides photographers to free to families who are going through a stillbirth or a neonatal loss.
I adore this organization. It's an amazing service.

I can't really give money, but I try to do other things for a few places. UCP (local), Children's Harbor (part of Children's Hospital that provides services, food, and fun for patients and families), Share Our Strength (trying to organize a bake sale!), and a couple of women's and kids' shelters. Again, I don't have money, but I try to collect items from people who are getting rid of stuff, fix up a few things, organize the bake sale, call businesses to ask them to support different events, etc. It's all unofficial, and it's not much, but every little bit helps, right?

I love March of Dimes. We were all born very healthy, but my dad does the walks every year, volunteers for events, etc. We have no idea why, and we're a little afraid to ask. Maybe he just wants to; he does nice things a lot without telling anyone that he's doing them (which is awesome, it just makes us feel weird asking questions about any of it).
April 22nd, 2009, 09:37 AM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
I am a big fan of cancer charities (big surprise, huh?)
Relay for Life, Alex's Lemonade stand Foundation, Childrens Neuroblastoma Cancer Foundation.

I love March of Dimes, but I agree with a friend of mine that their ads w/ beautiful healthy babies sometimes doesn't represent preemies accurately. Please tell me there is a gtube or wires under their shirts? (I do realize the plan is to raise funds so that all babies are born healthy.)

Now I Lay me Down to Sleep is a good one. String of Pearls is another good one.

I have donated money, but if I don't have extra money, I will volunteer time. Make calls, send info, etc..

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!
April 22nd, 2009, 09:41 AM
docsmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to docsmomma
I can't give money but I do try to fundraise. Currently I am trying to raise awareness for Wheels North ( a group of people biking from Santa Rosa, CA to Seattle, WA in 2 weeks starting on 7/4 to raise money for Histio research), Hike 4 A Cure (I will be hiking the half Dome of Yosemite to raise money for Histio research), March of Dimes (not doing this year but usually do, DS1 was a 33 weeker), and also my sons project (Operation Stuff It). David is collecting new stuffed animals to donate to CHOC Oncology kids because he wants to tell Cancer and LCH to "Stuff it" and bring these kids something comforting (and this whole project was his idea).

I also make a yearly donation to FIES (Fullerton Interfaith Emergency Services) and donate stuff we no longer use (outgrown clothes) to Womens and Childrens Shelters.
April 22nd, 2009, 06:38 PM
stacyp's Avatar Mommy to Andrew & Luke
RMH.... they helped when Luke had his heart surgery.
Special Olympics

Thanks Yvonne (Jaidynsmum) for my beautiful siggy!

April 23rd, 2009, 07:59 PM
kittycat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
MOD, UCP, Easter Seals, and a couple other charities tied to other interests not associated with children/health issues (we fundraise, but also make monetary donations where we can). Many, many years ago - long before Kyle, I used to be an ambassador for our state Easter Seals organization. Our company encouraged us to get involved in NFPs and allowed a little time away from work for it, because it was good for company sales/name recognition. I had a few options to pick from, and decided to work with them, mostly fundraising. Little did I know at the time, that I would have a SN child.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search