Anesthesia Consult?

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 25th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
I found out yesterday that Ava has an appt to meet with an anesthesiologist next Friday for the following week. I've never had a Dr appt with an anesthesiologist before. What should I expect?

I've only ever spoken with them right before surgery, so I'm kinda lost.

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!
April 25th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Daisyfields's Avatar Platinum Super Mega Mommy
I feel like a pro at this. This is a very easy appointment, as long as you know all the medical history. The doc will ask lots of questions, like what's going on & things you already know the answers too. They will discuss the different types of medications they can use in Anesthesia, and you can ask them to give her Verside (Valium for kids) which is something that is an option on your end.

They may or may not ask you to do extra blood-work, but other than that, just talking. It should be painless on your end. At least that has been "my" experiences w/ those consults for all my kids, including my SN child.

April 25th, 2009, 04:19 PM
stacyp's Avatar Mommy to Andrew & Luke
We haven't had one of those either.

Thanks Yvonne (Jaidynsmum) for my beautiful siggy!

April 25th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
Thanks for the fast replies. I was told this is normal for airway kids and should take about 90 minutes. I am actually relieved to speak with them, though. I am so nervous about her being sedated and put to sleep 3 days in a row. So, I will now know what to expect.

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!
April 25th, 2009, 05:41 PM
stacyp's Avatar Mommy to Andrew & Luke
I think it will be beneficial & will let you know what to expect. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks Yvonne (Jaidynsmum) for my beautiful siggy!

April 26th, 2009, 05:26 AM
Daisyfields's Avatar Platinum Super Mega Mommy
Do your research too... look up different "types" of anesthesia, and don't be afraid to say "I want THIS anesthesia"... or I am not comfortable w/ that.

I remember when my older DS (who is not SN), had sleep apnea surgery. I had done my research on different ways to cotorize & apparently there is a common way to do it, but...there are more than 1 way to do it & other ways are more expensive, but usually insurances STILL cover it & the recovery is faster. Long story short. The doc said "no problem, I have to submit new medical requests to the insurance company, but they cover it & that's fine"... now had I not researched this & just let her do things the "normal" way... I wouldn't have found out these things.

I encourage you to research, pick the man/woman's brain & bring a list of questions that you have (get that ready before the apt so you don't forget) & make sure all of your questions have been thouroughly answered, if you aren't satisfied, tell them so, you don't need to sign off on THEIR plan if you aren't comfortable w/ it. KWIM? Remember you are your child's advocate, you speak & do the decision making, don't let a doctor intimidate you into thinking they are making the right choices for your child, they don't know your child, you do.

HIH, GL & KUP on how the apt goes/went
Chantelle

April 26th, 2009, 02:47 PM
iamkc's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to iamkc
I agree-research! Several people in my family have problems coming out of anesthesia, waking up during, etc. It's something that a lot of people have! There's an enzyme issue, and just changing a couple of simple things makes all the difference!

The consult is actually a relief, to be honest. You feel like you get to ask everything, have them tell you what you need to know, etc. It's mostly a detailed history-know if anyone in your family has any muscle or blood disorders. They'll ask about recent illness, etc.

Good luck! I'm sure that you're on top of it!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search