We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to email@example.com.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
If you are having more children will you have testing done to check for abnormalities with the baby?
I am 12 weeks pregnant and we are having testing done. A lot of people say "Ohh we didn't do tests, we would be happy with what we got"
I don't think it's fair to say that unless you already have a child that is going to need therapy every single day of his life, for the rest of his life, will never live independently and I worry what will happen to him when my husband and I die
I can't say I know what I will do if the tests come back as something wrong as serious as Carter has, but I do want to know and make the best decision for us.
If I were in your situation I would have the testing done. I would rather know what issues my child will have in the future so I can mentally prepare myself (if there is such a thing). I guess I am the type of person who wants to know versus waiting and worrying.
If we have more children, the geneticist would like us to have testing done.... they recommended CVS. Luke's form of DS is nondisjunction. The most common & not hereditary. There is a 1% chance we could have another child with DS. However, like you, I may want to know what's going on.
((HUGS)) No one knows what you go through but you. We have SN children but do people really stop & think what that means? Plus, you would be able to relax so much more when you get results back that show everything is fine because we all would have in the back of our minds "What about this baby?" I know I would even though there's only a 1% chance. This time around I think I would want to be prepared.
Thanks Yvonne (Jaidynsmum) for my beautiful siggy!
Last edited by stacyp; April 28th, 2009 at 03:29 AM.
Reason: I can't spell
I'm honestly not sure if I would. I did with Danny, ironically... Obviously, it came back totally clean, since there *was* nothing wrong with Danny that early in pregnancy. On the one hand, I would want to know if we were bound for another SN child. On the other hand, it wouldn't make me feel any better since I know so much can happen to change it after those tests - and since Danny's problems are not hereditary or genetic, so there's no increased chances for me.
If Danny's challenges had not been the result of an illness, I think I absolutely would test ahead of time to know what to expect.
Yes, we went through genetic counseling to determine our risk before getting pregnant, it is less than 1% as well. I still want to test to look for more common problems as well. Like you said I feel like I need to know one way or the other.
The only tests I had done were the normal prenatal tests. As far as testing in the genetics department. I had Cooper tested by a genetics specialist a while back from my DH & I to make sure that "when" we had another child (Teighan), he wouldn't have any abnormalities. The results came back negative, which was great to hear. Other than that, nothing.
I did look at Teighan's development far more meticulous than the normal parent b/c of what I'm going through w/ Cooper but I didn't drag him to do more than normal.