Ronald McDonald House

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 29th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
Has anyone ever stayed there? How did you get a room? We can't even get on the list until 24 hrs prior to our appt on Monday.

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!
April 29th, 2009, 03:01 PM
iamkc's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to iamkc
It may be the same in most places. For patients with exceptional illness (transplants, in-house, long-term chemo or other treatments), they may make exceptions. I've never stayed in one, but I've worked for them a lot, AND I know lots of people who have stayed in them. It's worth the hassle of only booking the day before.

Good luck! It really IS a pain, though. Sorry. How far away from home do you have to travel?
April 29th, 2009, 04:12 PM
docsmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to docsmomma
When Joey was in the hospital I told the social worker that we needed someplace close to stay or I'd have no choice but to leave Joey alone for HOURS (which was very true) and she brought me the form and got us a room. it took 1 hour all together.
April 29th, 2009, 04:49 PM
It's 50 miles, so over an hr drive with no traffic. It adds up when you have to drive 3 hrs a day with a baby that is not allowed to eat in the mornings and still sedated every afternoon. With all her medical stuff to lug around.

Last edited by Ditzzy; April 29th, 2009 at 04:52 PM.
April 29th, 2009, 05:27 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I've never used it myself, but a lady in my July 06 PR did... Her SN is twinladybugs, if you want to contact her and ask.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
April 29th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
have you talked with one of the social workers at the hospital or a care coordinator? They are usually pretty good about getting that stuff done

My Blog
http://howdyinc.com/mrshowdy/
April 29th, 2009, 08:02 PM
~~~Sara~~~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We qualified for it when Carter was in ICU only but it took several days to get in so we stayed in a hotel, since he was in ICU we were not allowed to be bedside 24 hours a day (it was awful). The day we got in he got transferred out of ICU so we went and checked in, but were not allowed to stay.

Each member in the house was responsible for doing a daily chore, which I think is great but between being bedside with him every possible moment only taking breaks to pump breast milk I really didn't have time to clean up after other people making messes and people were pigs, I am sorry to say. I have heard wonderful experiences, but we didn't have one.

Our local regional center reimburses us for travel and some lodging costs, but it's something our service coordinator set up for us and I had to do paperwork and it took several weeks to set up. Also we pay the fees up front and they reimburse us.

I hope that helps and you can find a solution.

April 29th, 2009, 09:40 PM
stacyp's Avatar Mommy to Andrew & Luke
We knew 3 weeks before Luke's heart surgery we would need a room. Social services took our info & placed us on the list 24 hours prior to his surgery. They did not have a room for us but they set us up in a hotel for what a room at RMH would have cost. It was very nice & so helpful.

Thanks Yvonne (Jaidynsmum) for my beautiful siggy!

April 30th, 2009, 12:30 AM
kittycat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We stayed in two different ones for a total of 6.5mo while Kyle was in the NICU, then for some follow-up clinics after.

The hospital social worker or a nurse associated with the dr you're seeing will have to call the day prior to check availability. We've found that some RMHs have waitlists, so you might not get a room. We weren't able to, recently, when Kyle was sent to Childrens. I slept in Kyle's room, and Karl stayed at home. If he would have been in any period of time longer, we would have rented a hotel and kept our name on the first call list.

April 30th, 2009, 06:58 AM
I just called to put us on the waiting list since her 1st appt is tomorrow. The lady was mean. I was kinda surprised since she is working in the RMH. She said "We don't have a room for you now. Make other arrangments. It could be a week before we call you or maybe not at all."

That was rude. Made me kinda sad.

April 30th, 2009, 08:50 AM
That is rude, I'm sorry. I had a pretty rotten experience myself, I mean the people at RMH were nice, but the people staying there were not very nice and respectful of the good thing they were getting.

Also ours was only for if your child was in the ICU, once Carter was in his own room, I just slept in a chair, it was rough, but it worked out well and the nurses were super nice about me literally living in his room.

April 30th, 2009, 10:10 AM
I called childrens and they helped us get a room at the Hyatt at a 60% discount. It's only 3 miles away from CMC, so I'm happy. I'll check in on Sunday and stay until Wednesday. From Wednesday on I'll stay at Childrens and sleep in a chair beside Ava.

ETA: I cancelled The reservations for the Hyatt when I fould out that to PARK there was $14 each time I park! and the airway nurse recommended another place closer to the hospital.

Last edited by Ditzzy; April 30th, 2009 at 01:39 PM.
April 30th, 2009, 10:16 AM
I am glad they helped you find a solution, I did find a hotel to be more useful as I really did not have time to do the "Chores" anyway. Also as soon as you are able, staying in her room, while tough on you will probably be best.

April 30th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Dacontay4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm staying at the RMH right now. Not *right* now since I'm still in the hospital with my baby but as soon as she's released we have the RMH for a week. We were there for a week before she had her surgery as well. We filled out the paperwork the day we brought her in, it went fast for us. I'm sorry the lady was rude Good luck!
Mason Charles (1/3/05) and Kaydence Faith (4/30/10)

Check out my blog at
http://davealy.blogspot.com

April 30th, 2009, 11:05 AM
docsmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to docsmomma
Many childrens hospitals if you ask enough will provide a cot instead of the chair bed if they have one available. I've had one with mosy of Joey's hospitalizatons and they are comfy!
April 30th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
the "chairs" at cincinnati childrens actually pull out into a bed like thing. I say that because I have never been to any hospital that actually had a bed for visitors. I'm glad they got you into the hyatt. I'm from that area so if you need directions on where things are and the like let me know

My Blog

Last edited by mrshowdy; April 30th, 2009 at 12:43 PM.
April 30th, 2009, 12:44 PM
kittycat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's unfortunate that the woman was rude. I know our RMHs often utilize volunteers, and elderly people looking for outlets in their day. Hopefully this was just a person overwhelmed, and not a regular.

April 30th, 2009, 02:21 PM
stacyp's Avatar Mommy to Andrew & Luke
I prefer to stay at bedside. But, we couldn't when he was n the PICU & when he moved to the regular floor, I stayed with him & DH went back to the room. It was nice to go & get a hot shower even though PCH provides a shower for parents that stay. Plus it was a break.

I'm glad they were able to help. ((HUGS))

Thanks Yvonne (Jaidynsmum) for my beautiful siggy!

April 30th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
good thinking on cancelling the hyatt. its cuz there is NO parking downtown so they have to do valet for everyone

My Blog
May 1st, 2009, 04:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshowdy View Post
have you talked with one of the social workers at the hospital or a care coordinator? They are usually pretty good about getting that stuff done

They are the ones who helped me, hospital guest services.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search