surgery...party

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 4th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Dacontay4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Tomorrow is my daughter's 3rd birthday. Tomorrow is my other daughter's colectomy surgery. The surgery is going to take a few hours...this was my husband's idea and i'm not sure how I feel about it. I feel like it's wrong, to be honest. but I don't have a better idea. taylor is SOOO looking forward to her birthday...dh suggested that during Grier's surgery we have a party for her in the cafeteria...it'll keep us busy during the surgery and it will make her day special. but that just seems wrong to me...hey, the baby's having surgery, lets have a big party! I mean... but...is it appropriate?
Mason Charles (1/3/05) and Kaydence Faith (4/30/10)

Check out my blog at
http://davealy.blogspot.com

May 4th, 2009, 07:30 PM
stacyp's Avatar Mommy to Andrew & Luke
I'm not sure you would be able to. When Luke had his procedures & both surgeries, one parent had to remain in the waiting area at all times. I'm not sure how it is elsewhere though.

With her being 3, would she really notice if you didn't have her birthday on her actual birthday? Would it be possible to choose another day to celebrate it? I know it's difficult though. Please let us know what you decide.

Thanks Yvonne (Jaidynsmum) for my beautiful siggy!

May 4th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Dacontay4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We wouldn't be in the general hospital cafeteria...a small family cafeteria on the same floor is where we would be. We have that rule but we would be allowed to wait in there....and we would anyway, the kids are going to be there so it wouldn't be as disturbing for anyone else in the waiting room. I was kind of planning on celebrating her birthday on wednesday or thursday and doing something small for her tomorrow. dh just thought this was a great idea...but I really don't agree.
Mason Charles (1/3/05) and Kaydence Faith (4/30/10)

Check out my blog at
http://davealy.blogspot.com

May 4th, 2009, 07:52 PM
iamkc's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to iamkc
Tomorrow could be her small party-cupcakes and fun lunch or something. You'd still be near Grier, be celebrating Taylor's birthday, and Taylor may like that her birthday could extend for a couple of days! At age 3, not having a huge birthday party the day OF the birthday probably isn't a big deal. Just something very small tomorrow during surgery *would* keep you all busy, let Taylor have her birthday, and pass the time for all of you. (Not that Taylor's birthday should just be "passing time," but you know what I mean.)

Let us know what you decide! I KNOW that I wouldn't be able to do a large party in the middle of it all. Even a small one would tug at my heart, but would be easier, I think. I hope that you guys get some rest tonight before the surgery, too. Many hugs-you're not in an easy situation!
May 5th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Daisyfields's Avatar Platinum Super Mega Mommy
It depends on how you look at it. I mean... on one level celebrating while another child is having surgery does sound strange to others that might be the only other thing they can do. KWIM? I remember my MIL was in the hospital, on life support a few years back, on Christmas, we celebrated our Christmas in our mini-van b/c we didn't want to leave her bedside. It wasn't ideal for the kids, but it's something we had to do. It worked out.

On the other hand, if you can work out another day to celebrate the 3rd BDay, maybe waiting is also ideal. Depends on how much you've amped the child that the Birthday is approaching. I tried explaining to my SN/Cooper that he was turning 3 this past Saturday & he didn't get it. No clue, no comprehension. So I could have changed the day & he wouldn't have noticed but since we were able to pull it off, we did on the same day. I didn't want to do it as a combo Birthday/1st Communion event b/c my older DS had his 1st Communion on Sunday. Everyone tried to convince me to do both at the same time, but I didn't want to take anything away from either child. I wanted the events to be separate.

May 5th, 2009, 12:26 PM
~~~Sara~~~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
While it may seem weird, your 3 year old does not understand so if you want to do something special for her while you are passing the time, maybe it will take your minds off it.

I also agree you could do something for her anther time if you don't want to do it during the surgery.

May 6th, 2009, 05:13 PM
stacyp's Avatar Mommy to Andrew & Luke
Checking to see how surgery went & what you decided.

((HUGS))

Thanks Yvonne (Jaidynsmum) for my beautiful siggy!

May 6th, 2009, 08:53 PM
iamkc's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to iamkc
I've been thinking about you, too! I'm sure it wasn't easy (anything yesterday!), but I'll bet you made it through. HUGS!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search