T.T. was evaluated today for his eating problems by OT

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 14th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Daisyfields's Avatar Platinum Super Mega Mommy
(Teighan) T.T. had his evaluation today w/ the OT's at my house. They came at lunch time to see how T.T. did w/ feeding. I made a point to have Cooper eating too, so it wasn't so "scripted" for T.T.

The therapist asked me to offer him his normal stage 1-2 Gerber foods (as he normally eats), and then take some finger foods & place them around the high chair (puffs, crackers, goldfish etc.), then she asked me to include a ripe food (banana) & mash that up. I started to feed him, immediately she said "he's not sitting right"... Uhhhhh...okay...
"I'm sorry?" she started in on how the chair was too reclined. It's as upright as the chair will be. She made me get a towel & try to put that behind his back but he was buckled in & you couldn't do it & he started to scream. She let it go.

I started to feed him like I normally would, he was on his 2nd bite of green/orange Gerber foods she said "give him the spoon"... Huh???
the child has NEVER taken a finger food to his mouth, ever, he'll play w/ it & then throw it on the ground, but you want me to give him a spoon & the bowl of veggies & let him at it???

The food, it was everywhere, my ceiling, my floors, the walls, his hair, everywhere. Aside from it being messy, I have REALLY BAD O.C.D. when it comes to "mess" or "dirt"... I am not horrible where I can't function but I don't just let my kids bring dirt in the house. No shoes are worn in our home, no one eats or drinks in the family room, always in the kitchen/dining room. I mean, sure, I am more strict than some, but to me, it's normal, I was raised this way & so far it's worked for me.
Watching my son do this, I was dying inside, but I didn't say anything. I guess my face or body language gave it away b/c she looked at me & said "how does he normally do w/ this?" and I said "he doesn't".... then she continued about how my O.C.D. was keeping him from feeling comfortable & asked me to leave MY table.

Now, I have 4 children, I've never allowed my boys to do that w/ a spoon before learning how to eat w/ their hands/fingers.

She assessed him at 7 mos. for feeding, which I suspected. He has to do 2x's, monthly, not bad, which will be somewhat of the same as what happened today. We started at 12:30pm, she & the other therapists left at 2:30pm.

Now, I know I have O.C.D., I don't like mess, I prevent it if I can, but I don't think that any normal person would give a baby/kid a spoon to feed themselves when they can't even feed themselves table food w/ their hands. Spoon feeding comes AFTER they learn how to finger feed themselves & then can handle a spoon & bring the spoon to their mouths. I dunno. I've done this w/ all my boys, never had an issue before so I didn't think my "clean" needs was an issue for feeding, in fact, I don't believe her. My other boys eat fine, no issues.

We're going to start the E.I. therapy for T.T., I'm glad but a tad resistant b/c of the disaster that she had him create. He was looking at me like "what is happening? why are you letting me do this? my hands are icky, please clean them, I feel gross, stop letting this lady make me touch this". I'm hoping they can help him eat table foods, normal foods so we don't have to keep buying expensive puree. I've tried to do it myself, he refuses the foods, he doesn't eat it, no matter how much I blend his foods, he wont eat it, he knows the difference.

Aside from that, he is fine. Developmentally & socially, fine/gross motor skills, where he needs to be. Which I already knew. It's the food/feeding that we need to work on. And I need to work on letting someone trash my house I guess.

~C

May 14th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Tara0906's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I replied to you in the other chat...LOL

Anyways.. Im glad hes starting OT.

May 14th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
I would just ignore that therapist. I hate know-it-all, controlling therapists. Ugh...
I'm sorry you had to deal with her. ((Hugs))

OT sounds like what he needs, which will help. Has he ever had a swallow study?

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!
May 14th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditzzy View Post
OT sounds like what he needs, which will help. Has he ever had a swallow study?
Yeah, he had a swallow study back in Feb. or around then. Everything was fine, no obstructions. We ruled out that piece of it. So when I asked the E.I. therapists about Teighan while they were working on Cooper, she (the OT for Cooper) told me that Teighan would most likely be eligible b/c he was not eating properly. Then we went from there. Bringing us to today w/ the "eval" that made me feel like I was crawling out of my skin.

A lot of it is my own personal anxiety, I have major anxiety issues & when I get stumped w/ something I didn't or don't expect & it's something that I don't like & can't control it, I get really distraught (internally speaking). For the rest of the afternoon, and still now, I am feeling very violated, I know that sounds weird. But for someone to come into your home, your space, and take over how your house is in order, it really takes a toll on you/me. It's like a stranger walking into your house & just going to your fridge, helping themselves to your food, walking into your living room (my white carpet) w/ their DIRTY shoes & just doing what ever w/ out asking your permission & expecting you/me to be okie dokie about the whole thing. I wasn't. Still am not. It's just something I felt weird about. Normally there is never mess/food involved, that was hard for me. I felt like it was an out-of-body experience as I tried to calm myself while the food demonstration was going on .

I wasn't amused w/ the comment about my high chair. I have a very nice, safe high chair & it's not even 3 year's old. It was upright & fine. That bugged me. If she doesn't like my high chair, buy me a new one then. Other than that, I guess I have to let my kid get dirty w/ the foods. This is going to be a learning experience for both myself "and" Teighan.

May 14th, 2009, 03:40 PM
stacyp's Avatar Mommy to Andrew & Luke
I agree with Hope. Do it the way you feel will work best for him. I am not a fan of "My way is the only way therapists. They are there to help not to be in charge of your child. And, as far as the OCD with the clean house, you like a clean home. Nothing wrong with that. You're not keeping him from progressing. I would do the same. Geesh.

One PT asked me what I do with Luke at home all day. I said "Therapy exercises, we play, eat. The norm" She says to me "Well, I wondered because he's head is kind of flat in the back" I looked at her & said "Brachiocephaly is common in children with Down syndrome. It's not from him laying on his back all day if that's what you're thinking" Seriously lady.

Thanks Yvonne (Jaidynsmum) for my beautiful siggy!

May 15th, 2009, 08:47 AM
I got a therapist ask me what we do outside all day. I was like "nothing, we rarely go outside"... we live in the woods. Up until recently Cooper couldn't walk, and either could my 16 mos. old. What did they expect me to do? Go outside & carry two 30+ pound children? Let's not forget I walk w/ a cane 90% of the time. Now, outdoors, we have a ton of trees that "still" have to be removed. We were part of the Ice Storm of Dec. 08 that caused us to have no power for weeks & had no way to keep warm other than 1 small wood burning stove (State of ER, big deal in our area). Any ways, our backyard is still a mess w/ trees & stix. Out front, we have a house that is on a cliff, w/ a retaining wall. If I let the babies go outside there, they will run & fall off the front yard or worst, run down my hill of a driveway & into oncoming traffic.

Point being. I don't let them play outside our home much & we're always running from 1 doctor's apt to another. We have NO time to go out to play. Last Sunday, on Mother's day, we did take them to a local park, they had fun & my DH was there to help me b/c I can't do a lot physically speaking for my kids, especially all at once. The person was judging me b/c of the time my kids play outdoors. We used to live in the city, there was no backyard, there was no place to play, no one judged us then, now b/c we have a yard we should be outside all the time? My older sons are, but they are 8 & 11, more independent & I can trust that they will stay in the safe area etc.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search