baby sitters

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 15th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Tara0906's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have never left Justin alone with ANYONE (not even my 2 other kids) except for my mom or my dh's mom ( dont like doing it either because she doesnt really watch the kids).

Who watches your special needs children if you have to leave them with someone other then family?

How do you find a baby sitter for a special needs child?

May 15th, 2009, 06:01 PM
docsmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to docsmomma
Honestly, my mom and MIL are my biggest babysitters, and my older kids scared my MIL away. We do have 1 close friend I will leave Joey with but never during med times or if theres a concern with his numbers or anything.
May 15th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
I was told by Ava's Doctor that I had to hire a nurse or RT to watch her. So, needless to say I've never left her with anyone but DH.

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!
May 15th, 2009, 08:16 PM
stacyp's Avatar Mommy to Andrew & Luke
Our current sitter has watched Andrew since he was 12 weeks old. When Luke was born & we found out he was a SN child, I called & asked her if she still wanted to babysit. She told me she couldn't wait to get her hands on Luke. She is current on her first aid & CPR training. I trust her 100% with both boys. She does an amazing job. My Mom & our sitter are the only people that watch the boys. My MIL.... no way.

Thanks Yvonne (Jaidynsmum) for my beautiful siggy!

May 15th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
my mom and mil are the only ones that keep our boys too. every once in a while my step mom will keep one of them for an hour or so, and I have one friend that I can trust for a couple hours, but for the most part they stay with family

My Blog
http://howdyinc.com/mrshowdy/
May 15th, 2009, 09:38 PM
kittycat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We don't have family close, and I rarely (as in maybe once) have ever used a neighbor to watch Kyle, because I don't want to put the burden on them if something were to happen. However, we signed up with SitterCity.com, and through there, I was able to find area special needs teachers and therapists that sit part-time in the evenings. We don't go out often, but when we do - I'm confident and comfortable leaving them. You can even check background and references through the site

ETA: It's not cheap though. We pay a premium to have specialized care ($15/hr vs. $10).

May 16th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
well there you go hope, maybe try there

My Blog
May 16th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Tara0906's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thats good to know. I will check that site out!

May 16th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Tara, I hope you didnt think I thought your name was hope. I just realized that I made a comment to Hope and meant to make one to both of you. I knew that Hope was specifically told not to leave Ava with anyone and I thought it might help her too.

Wow, I am dropping the ball all over today..

My Blog
May 16th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Daisyfields's Avatar Platinum Super Mega Mommy
I feel you 100% on this. I have my mother that will do the "occasional" babysitting for the boys, but nothing is done the way it's suppose too but I have no choice at times. When my grandmother is down from Canada, she helps, but again, same deal as w/ my mother, plus she's getting up there in age & I feel bad. I "had" used my cousin, she had taken babysitting courses, knows CPR, everything. Well...not only did she NOT do what I wanted, the house was a mess, she would put the babies diapers on BACKWARDS, so the mess I would find would be horrible. The bottles weren't given "AND" she would have a friend over. I got rid of her FAST. Sadly I know that she's probably upset, and so is her mother (my aunt) but she wasn't responsible enough to watch Cooper & then my little one Teighan. I "FINALLY" found this girl, she's in high school, graduates this year & is FANTASTIC! I've known her since she was 2 year's old & I got her b/c of her God Mother, which is a close friend of mine, told me that she watched her daughter, who also has major medical problems. I gave it a whirl. Not only is she amazing, but the kids love her & she's worth every penny. I just wish she wasn't in school, I'd use her more often.

I was debating on going on-line to find a sitter from sittercity.com, but I was scared, I had no way of knowing who they were, plus to join the cite is like $50 or something like that.

It took me 3 years to find a decent sitter but now we have one. It was a fluke too, not expected. I hope you can find one that can watch your kids & you can feel safe like I do now. It's hard to find someone reliable these days "AND" that you can trust & they are good w/ children.

May 16th, 2009, 03:21 PM
kittycat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by blundoboys View Post
I feel you 100% on this. I have my mother that will do the "occasional" babysitting for the boys, but nothing is done the way it's suppose too but I have no choice at times. When my grandmother is down from Canada, she helps, but again, same deal as w/ my mother, plus she's getting up there in age & I feel bad. I "had" used my cousin, she had taken babysitting courses, knows CPR, everything. Well...not only did she NOT do what I wanted, the house was a mess, she would put the babies diapers on BACKWARDS, so the mess I would find would be horrible. The bottles weren't given "AND" she would have a friend over. I got rid of her FAST. Sadly I know that she's probably upset, and so is her mother (my aunt) but she wasn't responsible enough to watch Cooper & then my little one Teighan. I "FINALLY" found this girl, she's in high school, graduates this year & is FANTASTIC! I've known her since she was 2 year's old & I got her b/c of her God Mother, which is a close friend of mine, told me that she watched her daughter, who also has major medical problems. I gave it a whirl. Not only is she amazing, but the kids love her & she's worth every penny. I just wish she wasn't in school, I'd use her more often.

I was debating on going on-line to find a sitter from sittercity.com, but I was scared, I had no way of knowing who they were, plus to join the cite is like $50 or something like that.

It took me 3 years to find a decent sitter but now we have one. It was a fluke too, not expected. I hope you can find one that can watch your kids & you can feel safe like I do now. It's hard to find someone reliable these days "AND" that you can trust & they are good w/ children.
For those still considering it - you can find coupon codes online (I think the monthly fee is $20/25 if you stay signed up). Since I have no one, and tried the route of hanging notes at hospitals, drs offices & therapy clinics with no response - it was a good option for us. The background check is a must for us, along with references.

May 17th, 2009, 03:21 PM
AlexKatieAiden Mommy's Avatar Linda
I mainly have family that watches the kids. My mom (once in a great while), my sister, and my son's other grandma (on his fathers side). Other than that I have one really close friend that will watch the kids and is just wonderful. As you can tell I don't get out much.

check out my My Etsy Shop See My Blinkie Gallery & My Siggie Gallery & My BLOG

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search