sensory at home

Forum: Children with Special Needs

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Children with Special Needs LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 20th, 2009, 06:27 AM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
Do you do any fun sensory things at home? When Ava is able to stand, I'm getting a sand/water table. For now I like getting a big flat bowl with beans or elbow pasta and little cups and toys to use to play in the beans/pasta. She and Christian like it.

What do you do? I love getting new ideas.

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!
May 20th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Tara0906's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We haven't in a long time. Probably should.

When he was younger we did the beans and noodles. Play Doh (he hated getting messy).
A lot of pressure things.. taking the couch pillows and pressing them on him. Also we did tunnels

May 20th, 2009, 08:31 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I definitely need ideas too! At our OT eval yesterday she said that his sensory stuff isn't really BAD, but is definitely skewed and she'd like to see him do more of a "sensory diet" all around to work through stuff. We do some playing in pudding or yogurt - strip him down and let him go nuts in his high chair - and now that he's standing I hope to let him get into the sand table a bit. Ideas that are a bit easier for clean up ... and ideas that won't get my 2 year old refusing ot come inside for 3 hours like he does when they're at the sand table (LOL) ... would be awesome, and I'll share some with you once we get into the OT a bit more.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
May 22nd, 2009, 09:44 PM
~~~Sara~~~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We use the foam soap in the bath and let him run his fingers in it, also let him play in food at his high chair. he doesn't have sensory issues, but it's good for all kids.

Also a BIG bowl of rice on a sheet on the floor with spoons and cups to mix and our, really fun!

May 23rd, 2009, 05:50 AM
stacyp's Avatar Mommy to Andrew & Luke
I want to get these
Amazon.com: Edushape Small See-Me Sensory Balls: Baby

We do soft blankets & textured toys & rub them on his hands, face, back
We do a lot of oral sensory stuff due to him not wanting to chew
We are getting a water table for this summer & I also plan to do the beans.

Thanks Yvonne (Jaidynsmum) for my beautiful siggy!

May 23rd, 2009, 11:29 AM
AlexKatieAiden Mommy's Avatar Linda
Alex is a big sensory seeker. I ended up having to buy him a chewie to keep him from chewing on his clothes and toys. He also has a weighted blanket because he loves the pressure. Katie is also a sensory seeker, her OT suggested doing alot of heavy lifting with her. So we have weighted teddy bears (easy to make) for her to carry around and do alot of buring her with pillows and stiff. Katie also has an adversion to having things on her hands so we play alot with shaving cream, we bury little play animals and have her find them.
We also do brushing and joint compression twice a day on both kids, and I have a spin board for them now. All the things seem to help. I think that's about it.

check out my My Etsy Shop See My Blinkie Gallery & My Siggie Gallery & My BLOG
May 26th, 2009, 03:33 PM
kittycat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Water tables, jello molds with toys in them, pinto beans with cars or dinosaurs buried in them (rubbermaid food containers are great with this, because of lids). Shaving cream in zip loc bags and a few drops of food coloring. Playdough, rolling cookies. Massaging with rough rags or the rubber-like exfoliators (not the hard/rough ones that scratch) - they're kind of like the rubber nubs on the infant finger/tooth brushes. Vibrating sticks from Super Duper, the elephant is great as well (working up to the face, starting at the hands). As a matter of fact, super duper has some great things - check out their website on that. We also found that picture cards of children doing activities that my son is scared to do - helps. Like to play with food or pretending to eat/smell certain things.

May 26th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycat View Post
Water tables, jello molds with toys in them, pinto beans with cars or dinosaurs buried in them (rubbermaid food containers are great with this, because of lids). Shaving cream in zip loc bags and a few drops of food coloring. Playdough, rolling cookies. Massaging with rough rags or the rubber-like exfoliators (not the hard/rough ones that scratch) - they're kind of like the rubber nubs on the infant finger/tooth brushes. Vibrating sticks from Super Duper, the elephant is great as well (working up to the face, starting at the hands). As a matter of fact, super duper has some great things - check out their website on that. We also found that picture cards of children doing activities that my son is scared to do - helps. Like to play with food or pretending to eat/smell certain things.
Thanks for sharing!! I'm going to try some of those!

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!
May 26th, 2009, 07:50 PM
iamkc's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to iamkc
A lot of the same things...and really, anytime they want to touch/feel (unless it's dangerous), smell, taste, etc. The one we're specifically working toward right now is Milo's fear of the running water. We don't know if it's the sound or what, but Milo FREAKS OUT when the tub water is running. He likes water, just not that...we're doing water and sound sensory more than most right now.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search